5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the mid cycle refresh Subaru changed the front facia and changed the tail lights slightly, by switching the inner silver/chrome finish to a dark grey/black plastic. I prefer the look, and was wondering if the parts are interchangeable. Recently someone backed into my car and broke the driver-side taillight and would prefer to get the redesigned lights instead of the 17-19 ones. Any insight would be awesome! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
For the piece on the hatch door, I think that inner white/grey area is not actually a tail light, it's just empty reflective plastic. Pretty crazy that it's so big and yet, so so empty!
The actual tail light is on the outside piece. There's govt. regulation that requires the actual brake/reverse lights to be visible, even when the hatch door is up.
With that said, the housing looks identical, so they should be interchangeable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hate the front bumper of the 2020s, but those new rear light assemblies are great! Since the design of the rear otherwise wasn’t changed, I really doubt that the new ones are incompatible with the 2017 to 2019 cars. It should be an easy swap. It looks like both the assembly on the hatch that contains the reverse light, and the assembly on the body which contains the tail, break, and turn signal lights were changed. In order for it to look good, you’re looking at replacing four different assemblies. That’s going to be expensive! I don’t see 2020 parts available yet, but as a reference, one body mounted tail light assembly for the 2019 is about $160 and one hatch mounted backup light assembly is about $110. So you’re looking at $540 assuming the prices on the 2020 parts are similar.

·
Registered
2017 Impreza Sport 5 Door
1 Posts
Any updates on this? I've been thinking the same thing ever since I saw the first 2020 on the road.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any updates on this? I've been thinking the same thing ever since I saw the first 2020 on the road.
Sorry for the late reply. The parts website was not updated with the 2020 Impreza when I looked so I was unable to confirm fitment. I played it safe and got a 2017-2019 taillight. I just checked however and they finally have the new parts online, and the connection/housing is identical. I can't confirm anything but it should be interchangeable

1 - 8 of 8 Posts