5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Impreza Sport 5 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded my Toyota Tundra for a Impreza 5 door sport Friday. I have had 7 pickup trucks over the years and was the family hauling it guy.
No more 11 mpg is wonderful, but I felt like my rear was dragging the ground for a while.
AC/DC sounds really good on the HK audio.
My avatar is Mia, one of our 4 dogs.
I have been looking around a bit here and don't have any big plans for the car. I am really happy with that way it is now. Maybe a subwoofer and some snow tires.
This is our 3rd Subaru, We had a Legacy and I put my daughter in a Forrester when she went off to college.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,226 Posts
Welcome :) I have a few Subaru's too. Also sent my kid to college in a Forester He's going into his last year and it's still going strong. Truth be told, it went though HS too ;)

Poke around I'm sure you will be doing some stuff to your Impreza eventually :)

Reactions: WVNed

·
Registered
20 Impreza Sport 5 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just ordered a powered subwoofer from Crutchfield. Why does putting this in seem more complicated than changing an engine?

·
Registered
20 Impreza Sport 5 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Subwoofer is in and works great. I got a Sound Ordinance B-8PTD and placed it under the drivers seat, used the high level inputs off of the back of the HK amp under the passenger seat and used the auto power feature.
Next is the Sprint Booster that should come today. Hopefully it will remove the low speed shudder from the CVT.
I have vent shades coming for the doors and sunroof.

Maybe an axle back exhaust later.

·
Registered
20 Impreza Sport 5 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed the Sprint Booster. That annoying moment when you step on the gas and the car shudders like it cant decide to shift the transmission or give it more gas is gone.
I climb a lot of hills on narrow roads with curves here. Now the engine management favors more gas going up hill and relies less on the transmission. I was getting some shuddering after you lifted the accelerator to go around a curve and then applied it again coming out.
I tried several settings and decided on sport 9. I stuck the controller to the inside of the fuse door in the lower dash with double sided tape that comes with the unit.

Vent shades come Monday.

It is truly sad that they didn't give this car a higher horsepower option. 50 more horses would have turned the sport model from great to legendary. Maybe someone will figure it out.
I am tempted to try mixing some premium into the tank to see if the knock sensor is keeping the ignition retarded all the time. I don't see how else you could get a 12.5:1 compression ratio engine to run on 87 octane.

·
Registered
'21 Sport Hatch CVT Ocean Blue Pearl
45 Posts
I just ordered a powered subwoofer from Crutchfield. Why does putting this in seem more complicated than changing an engine?
What wiring did that require off the HK amp? Did you have to run another set of wires for power or is it just drawn off the HK?

Any advice you can provide would be appreciated, as I wouldn't mind doing something similar. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Impreza Sport 5 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What wiring did that require off the HK amp? Did you have to run another set of wires for power or is it just drawn off the HK?

Any advice you can provide would be appreciated, as I wouldn't mind doing something similar. Thanks.
I got a wiring kit from Crutchfield, bridging connectors and speaker wire with the subwoofer. The wiring kit has the wire for the ground, Battery, fuse holder and black split covering for the wire.
I ran power from the battery and installed a fuse under the hood.. There is a large rubber grommet where all the wires come through the firewall and it went through there, I tucked it under the trim for the center console and then under the carpet from the console to under the drivers seat. The edge of the carpet is right under the console bottom and you can expose it by pulling a bit. I stuck a wooden paint stirrer in between the carpet and car body and then taped a pit of stiff plastic tubing to the wire to fish it through.
2 more speaker wires are pulled under the carpet and then under the console and back under the carpet so they go from under one seat to under the other. I fished them through the same way.

On the front of the HK amp are 2 plugs. The larger 30 pin plug has the front door channels.
You use the bridging connectors to tap into 4 wires.
You will tap into wires going to pins 11, 12, 26, and 27. You have to peel back the wrap on the wire bundle a bit to get slack. I unbolted and lifted the passenger seat but you could probably just slide it all the way back. There is a large black locking clip on the 30 pin connector. You press and pull and the left side swings out and then you can pull the connector out of the amp.

Looking from the back where the wires come out the connector counts left to right.
30 - 16
15 - 1

11 FDL + Green
26 FDL - Blue

12 FDR + Brown
27 FDR - Light Aqua

There are bolts welded to the body under the drivers seat. I removed the paint from one and attached the ground to it with an M6- 1.0 bolt and washer. I crimped spade connectors on the Batt and Ground wires and soldered a 4 connector pigtail to the 2 speaker wires that is used to plug the 2 channels into the amp. This pigtail comes with the sub/amp

I hooked the wires to the amp and set the selector switch to auto on. This turns the amp on when signal is present. Velcro strips come with the amp and I stuck them on the bottom and they grip the carpet.

Hooked the battery up and adjusted the levels as described in the directions with the sub/amp.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Impreza Sport 5 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crutchfield CK10 wiring kit
1​
$22.49​
T-Spec Speaker Wire (16-gauge)
10(feet)​
$6.90
($0.69 each)​
Posi-Products™ Wire Connectors
1(package of 6)​
$6.99​
Sound Ordnance B-8PTD
1​
$99.99​
MasterSheet Installation InstructionsMasterSheet Installation Instructions
We will send your MasterSheet™ by email.
(This is of no use)
1​
$0.00​

·
Registered
20 Impreza Sport 5 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put a half tank of 93 octane premium in it mixed with a half tank of 87.
I think it works. Not instantly, you have to let the fuel system use up the gas already in it and then you have to give the ECU time to become more adventurous with the ignition timing without sensing any knocks.
I find it interesting that the gas cap/filler area says nothing about using 87 octane like every other car I have owned recently. Perhaps that's a sign I am on the right track.

Of course butt dynos are known for their inaccuracy.

·
Registered
20 Impreza Sport 5 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My final update. The sound Ordinance B-8PTD Auto Power function will not work in our Subaru. You have to use a wired remote connection to 12v when the car is on. The auto power only works at very high volume levels.
There happens to be one on the second connector to the HK amp under the passenger seat. A yellow wire on pin 12 of the 24 pin connector. I connected this to my sub and it works perfect now.
It would have been very easy to run when I pulled the 2 high level input wires in.
R315 is the 30 pin and R316 is the 24 pin connector.
230a2df4473d8f1253d3d9cfafbfdb48.jpg

678c98e48517295d0bfb6f33b5a30f5b.jpg

·
Registered
20 Impreza Sport 5 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks
It works fine now that I connected the remote wire to trigger it. The high level inputs on the sub amp work fine. It was the auto on feature that didnt.

·
Registered
20 Impreza Sport 5 door
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We took the Impreza on a trip to go to our granddaughters 2nd birthday party. It did quite excellent. Setting the cruise on 85 was no problem. Plenty of power for hills. I did fill it with premium gas.
The engine exhibited a pronounced powerband from about 3600 to 5500rpm. It pulled quite readily up to 100mph. Plenty fast for me.
300 miles with an average speed of 62 mph and 30.2 mpg. Once you get used to it the intelligent cruise is a very nice feature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts