5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys, seems we are back in the market to get into another Subie. We have the opportunity to get a great deal on the WRX as a 2020 model and get exactly what we want. But, I found out last night that 2020 is the last year on the current platform. 2021 will introduce the new global platform to the WRX. I don't care if the motors get increased horsepower or not, that's not my concern. We had a 2017 Impreza Sport and it was worlds ahead of the old platform. It stands to reason that the WRX will be also. So has anyone else heard or know of any info we can look into? I have tried a google search and the only thing we come up with is the Viziv concept car and upgrade in engine horsepower. I want to see the real car if possible. The looks alone from 16-17 in the Impreza line made us wait to get the new one. Should we do the same and hold out for a 2021 WRX? Is it really gonna be that much different?

·
Banned
417 Posts
You say you "had" a 2017 Impreza... did you get rid of it? Just curious.

You can't find anything because there's nothing to find yet. But your thinking is good, the WRX on the SGP should be as much improved over the old one as the Impreza was... although maybe not as strikingly changed. The WRX handles great as it is, but it will undoubtably be better and worth waiting for if it's convenient.

But then you say you don't care about the horsepower... that's confusing. What about a WRX do you want that the Impreza doesn't satisfy? There's no indication yet that the WRX will come in a hatch... if that's important. And I can assure you the Gen5 Impreza handles good enough to not be embarassed by a WRX, new or old, other than the things a WRX;s horsepower and bigger and stickier tires bring to the fight. But unless you drive that fast and furious you'll never use those advantages.

I've owned several WRXs and an STi within the past 8 years. Two later FXT's. My '19 Impreza satisfies my daily as well as fun driving needs just fine. I'd take more horsepower if it were available, but I'd likely use it just as seldom as I do now.

Anyway, the best place to ask/find WRX questions/answers is here: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes we owned a 2017 Impreza Sport and traded it for our Daughter's Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. It was a GREAT! car to be honest she just didn't want that as her first car. She wanted a rugged SUV and the Jeep fit that bill.

I already know the 5th gen Impreza will handle like it's on rails. It is a great all around car, just lacking in the HP dept. Give it about 200hp and it would hands down be a super fun car to own. It would blow the Civic Hatch out of the water.

On to the WRX, when I said I don't care about the HP I meant I don't care if the new SGP car has more power than the current WRX. We are in no hurry to get something, so waiting on the SGP would probably be smart considering how good the Impreza was. I always said I wanted a WRX since way back and I have owned a 2016 Crosstrek and 2017 Impreza so the next logical choice is a WRX. I don't "need" one by no means. I just want one.

Reactions: Chrystal Imp

·
Registered
6 Posts
It stands to reason that the WRX will be also.
Or folks will bemoan the change, the 2021 car will have 1st year reliability & performance issues, and the previous generation cars will get more of the love after the new wears off. Seems like there is about an even gamble.

Switching to the new frame will cut Subarus manufacturing cost and is said to improve safety, what else they might change I do not think is known.

I gambled on buying the 2020 rather than waiting, could be a mistake.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm supposed to go tomorrow and pick up a Premium to test drive that is a 6 sp. I originally thought I wanted a manual but I am getting older and prefer an automatic. I know the performance won't be the same so to speak, we just need to see if we can live with the car on a day to day basis. I plan to order a Limited whatever we choose, it has more creature comforts. We will be trading in my wife's Lexus RC F Sport 200t with all the bells and whistles so we need the new car to at least have some of the same features.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doing the same thing for the same reasons except went with the premium, will miss the better lights of the limited. Going to sound deaden mine, either diy based on one of the excellent YouTube videos or have the local car stereo shop take care of it before I drive it much. The unmodified cars noise on interstates would make me crazy.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went and took a Premium out for a drive today and spend some time with it. I will simply say we won't be buying a WRX. I won't get into what was good or bad about it, but it's not for us. At least now we know. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you change your mind, your impressions would be of interest. They are noisy, and the bumps in the road hit you sharp, and the interior is not as nice as competitive priced alternatives, that would be enough to make a lot of folks look elsewhere.

·
Banned
417 Posts
The last WRX I owned was a 2016 Limited. It was the result of years of refinement in the model and worked flawlessly.

My '19 Impreza Limited is a nicer car. It's better looking, it's a hatch, it handles just as well if not better, has a more refined interior, rides smoother, gets FAR better gas mileage on lower octane, lower priced gasoline, has enough power that I've yet to need more than a fraction of, and has a more refined, unpretentious look and sound.

I'm sure the 2021? SGP model will be similarly upgraded, so my impressions are based on the outgoing model. But still, unless some of the advantages of the Impreza are not addressed in the new one, I have no reason to consider one. Summer tires that must be replaced with at least all-seasons for almost everyone, or winters for most of the rest are a negative I grew tired of. Horsepower that didn't match apparent promise yet was still a seldom used, expensive overabundance. A car you have to drive to endanger to exploit any advantages over a Gen5 Impreza. These things won't change in the new one.

Be smart like 2017SportHatch before you jump.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you change your mind, your impressions would be of interest. They are noisy, and the bumps in the road hit you sharp, and the interior is not as nice as competitive priced alternatives, that would be enough to make a lot of folks look elsewhere.
Well, I probably won't change my mind. I drove it on the highway and in normal day to day stop and go traffic. Granted, the car is wicked quick, I won't say it's fast, but it is quick. Keep in mind we have a Lexus RC Coupe that we were going to trade. The WRX is A LOT louder in every single aspect. That alone is enough of a turnoff for me. The ride is more harsh as well. You feel every little bump, dip and crack in the road. I am not saying it's a bad car by no means. But it is not something we could live with on a day to day basis. Immediately, with 8 miles on the odometer there was a rattle from the B pillar on the drivers side, a rattle in the dash on the passenger side and I have gotten used to hearing no rattles in any of our cars. I am very particular, and I mean very particular, so that alone would be a lifetime of hoping it could be found so it could be fixed. Call me OCD or whatever, but when spending over $30k for any car, I don't want to hear it rattling. Subaru or not.

I owned a 2016 Crosstrek Premium and a 2017 Impreza Sport. The WRX is just like sitting in my old Crosstrek. Nothing felt different to me. It is soon to be 2020 and the WRX was stickered as a 2020. No way a 2020 model should feel the same as a lower line car from 2016. Come on Subaru, you have got to be better than this! The Impreza is worlds better since they went to the new SGP. There really isn't anything to change on it, except maybe the crappy infotainment unit. I hope for Subaru's sake they make the important changes to the WRX. I haven't sworn all the way off from getting a WRX, but it most definitely will not be a 2020 model. 2021 better be some major improvements in my eyes, and not just slap the Impreza/Crosstrek interior in it and call it a day. It's gonna have to be something special. Not a special edition, but something we haven't seen for a couple years already.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts