5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • 2022 Impreza hatchback 5MT Sport.
    WHAT I DONT LIKE
    (UN)heated seats SUCK!! Feel a very slight warmth, thats it. I have another Japanese vehicle and the heated seats in 30 seconds would burn your ass.
    What gear is my shift on? Wont tell you until after you let go the clutch, by then its too late.
    3) the 3 upper center gauges are useless, oil temperature in actual numerical degrees, engine temp, only "normal" (but you never know actual temperature).
    Average speed gauge (what the hell you need that for?) Anyways after a 10 hrs trip at 75mph the gauge its stuck at 39 and been there for 3 months.
    The start button is hiding behind the steering wheel you need to twist your neck like a flamenco to see it. Engine is noisy and vibrates. Im getting bad mileage @ about 29mpg highway. The fuel lid release lever is at an odd place.
    The infotainment system is not worth the plastic its mounted on, has 100's of glitches the most annoying is it randomly drops your android apps and the starlink icon goes gray then you have to disconnect and reconnect the USB to reset it while you re driving 75mph. by the way, the USB ports are in the most inconvenient and difficult spot possible.
    Stock headlights are the primitive halogen kind although for $80 I changed them myself to LED (AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE)!
    You need a whole football field to make a U turn.
    The clutch,brake n accel. pedals are too tight together. Sits too low and on high snow you aint going anywhere.
    Oh, yea...I still cant figure out how to shut the radio off without shutting the whole screen off, you can only mute it until restart.
    There s more I just cant remember right now.
    There re 3 things I like.
    Looks, handling and gorgeous interior. Car has less than 5K miles Im so extremely disappointed that trading it in keeps crossing my mind. This is my 1st Subaru and definitely last

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
169 Posts
Weird, my 2019's heated seats cook my ass. Turning radius passed my test as well. (Managing a U-turn from inside lane to outside lane of a 2 way 4 lane road without having to reverse)

As far as the radio goes. Yeah its buggy. Carplay works 80% of the time and when it doesn't I have to restart the car to get it to work as the soft reset doesn't work.
As far as fuel economy goes. Not great, but at least they were up front about it. I owe it to only having 5 gears. Crosstreks do better and have a bigger tank.
Ride height vs snow/dirt. Crosstrek is way better
Headlights. agreed and ended up swapping them out with LEDs as well.
Stuck digital gauge. go take it to the dealer.

OR you can trade it in. If you got this car because it had AWD, a manual tranny, at this price point, then I think there's hardly anything else comparable.
Good luck!

Reactions: longboy

·
Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
137 Posts
    WHAT I DONT LIKE
    (UN)heated seats SUCK!! Feel a very slight warmth, thats it. I have another Japanese vehicle and the heated seats in 30 seconds would burn your ass.
    What gear is my shift on? Wont tell you until after you let go the clutch, by then its too late.
    3) the 3 upper center gauges are useless, oil temperature in actual numerical degrees, engine temp, only "normal" (but you never know actual temperature).
    Average speed gauge (what the hell you need that for?) Anyways after a 10 hrs trip at 75mph the gauge its stuck at 39 and been there for 3 months.
    The start button is hiding behind the steering wheel you need to twist your neck like a flamenco to see it. Engine is noisy and vibrates. Im getting bad mileage @ about 29mpg highway. The fuel lid release lever is at an odd place.
    The infotainment system is not worth the plastic its mounted on, has 100's of glitches the most annoying is it randomly drops your android apps and the starlink icon goes gray then you have to disconnect and reconnect the USB to reset it while you re driving 75mph. by the way, the USB ports are in the most inconvenient and difficult spot possible.
    Stock headlights are the primitive halogen kind although for $80 I changed them myself to LED (AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE)!
    The clutch,brake n accel. pedals are too tight together. Sits too low and on high snow you aint going anywhere.
    Oh, yea...I still cant figure out how to shut the radio off without shutting the whole screen off, you can only mute it until restart.
    Looks, handling and gorgeous interior. Car has less than 5K miles Im so extremely disappointed that trading it in keeps crossing my mind. This is my 1st Subaru and definitely last
Gauges are a lot more useful than you think. The last generation impreza had NO temp gauge, so I didn't know my engine was overheating until it was overheating lol. By then, it baked the engine and the transmission, since the engine coolant also cools the transmission fluid. 12k repair bill totaled the car basically.

The heated seas work fine for me. It takes a few minutes to get to full blast, but I can't leave them on for too long or I get super hot.

You get used to the start button being where it is. I just feel for it and hit it every time right away.

I don't know which infotainment system you have, but the larger one is not terrible. Like said before, works most of the time without problems.

Usb ports are in a terrible location, I agree with that.

The u turn thing, I don't find to be true. It's not a small car, but it turns pretty well. I live in the city on tight streets and I have no problems.'

Radio is annoying as hell.

But with some supporting mods, it's a great car. Really wished it had another 20 hp at least. That is my biggest complain is lack of power.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Wait till you need to use the AC!

Your stick shift position should already tell you which gear you are in. You've put it there!

Average is based on your Trip Computer. It's showing your average since the last reset. If you Reset your Trip meter (button on the left of your steering column), the average will catch up. I do that after every fuel fill-up. Note that there are two Trip records - A and B. I reset A, and keep B running cumulatively.

Im getting bad mileage @ about 29mpg highway.
It will get better with more miles.

The USB ports are in the most inconvenient and difficult spot possible.
I have no problem with CarPlay, and USB is in a better position now than previously when it was in the center console.

Set Satellite Radio to Channel 0, that is pure silence.

Car has less than 5K miles Im so extremely disappointed that trading it in keeps crossing my mind. This is my 1st Subaru and definitely last
You can probably sell it today for more than you paid for it.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
164 Posts
    WHAT I DONT LIKE
I've had the opposite opinion of the heated seats, leaving it on high will almost burn me it feels like. Which car did you come from?

What gear is my shift on? Wont tell you until after you let go the clutch, by then its too late.​
I have driven a 2012 or 11 Tacoma 5 speed before this, and in comparison, the gear shift in the Impreza is much easier to find and know which gears. Let's just say one time in the taco, I tried to start in 3rd.​

Average speed gauge (what the hell you need that for?) Anyways after a 10 hrs trip at 75mph the gauge its stuck at 39 and been there for 3 months.​
You can change the gauges on the display, when parked, navigate the screen with the "info" button to the "settings screen" and then press and hold the 'set/i' button on your wheel. In the favorites setting, you have the choice of many more gauges. I for one use the coolant temp, oil temp, and accelerator% displays. While the coolant temp doesn't show a numeric value, the analog gauge surrounding it uses the same ratio of the oil temp gauge, so the values are usually pretty nominal on normal driving.​

The start button is hiding behind the steering wheel you need to twist your neck like a flamenco to see it.​
I've gotten well at knowing its location by muscle memory. My Isuzu has a harder to find keyhole than the Impreza does, but everyone's seating position is different and that accounts for some of the reachability of certain touch points.​
Engine is noisy and vibrates. Im getting bad mileage @ about 29mpg highway. The fuel lid release lever is at an odd place.​
The Impreza is an economy car, you're going to hear many more noises than in an Avalon or Lexus branded car. Vibration wise, I feel more of the vehicle while driving, which is certainly nice with a stick, as it tells me more about how the car is responding to the road and my inputs. Mileage is going to be pretty rough in Winter due to the additives, but the 5spd is not the mpg king of Subaru. The CVT has better efficiency if that is what your primary concerns are with the drivetrain.​

The infotainment system is not worth the plastic its mounted on, has 100's of glitches the most annoying is it randomly drops your android apps and the starlink icon goes gray then you have to disconnect and reconnect the USB to reset it while you re driving 75mph. by the way, the USB ports are in the most inconvenient and difficult spot possible.​
I've had plenty of glitches with CarPlay, and Android Auto, you're definitely right here. Most of my issues with CarPlay I don't recall, as I switched to a Google Pixel, and had Android Auto fail to launch for me a few times. This was fixed after I restarted my phone, and stopped using non-oem cables. (I have two Google Official cables that I use in my cars, and relegate the other Anker cables to charging and software dev use)​

The clutch,brake n accel. pedals are too tight together. Sits too low and on high snow you aint going anywhere.​
The stock headlamps are pretty rough when Subaru themselves makes a LED assembly. Be careful with the bulbs you get because some have good light spread but a terrible pattern and can surely blind other drivers.​
As for the handling of the car, the only better vehicle I've driven was a WRX, my Isuzu, and previous vehicles, a Tacoma, Nissan Altima, and a Forester all in the family, have much larger or worse turning radiuses or body roll. Not to mention only the Forester has AWD, whereas the Isuzu is the only 4WD.​
Keep in mind, you picked a small economy car. The AWD is considered best in class, especially since it's std on every model and trim (except the BRZ). Economy cars aren't built for snow. You'll need ground clearance for any off-road or snow driving should the snow exceed the ride height of the car. In this class, no other car is going to clear the snow either.​

Looks, handling and gorgeous interior. Car has less than 5K miles Im so extremely disappointed that trading it in keeps crossing my mind. This is my 1st Subaru and definitely last​
Others have already addressed the radio issue, but all that aside:

Not here to lambast you, you've definitely had a rough experience with your first Subaru. And while I'm sure that we may not convince you it's a phenomenal car like many of us here believe it to be for the price, I do believe anyone here can help provide insight or answer any questions you have about the car. I for one have been happy with my purchase, though I've definitely had a few nitpicks like the coolant temp not entirely numbered, lack of old iPod support, no lumbar adjustment in the fabric seats, nor more adequate lighting in the cargo area. Some of these things, like the iPod support can be worked around, other like the cargo area lights, or the headlamps, can be modified. Even the ride height can be modified.

Others may require an adjustment to. I for one am happy with the gas mileage, because my Isuzu gets me at most 18-19mpg on a good day. While you may not have had a test drive before you purchased the car, when the car was delivered to you, before signing, a test drive should have been completed, and you would still have had the ability to walk away should the car not have been up to your standards. If this wasn't apparent by the dealer, then they did you wrong.

·
Registered
202 Posts
    WHAT I DONT LIKE
Love these post.
If you need an indicator for gears, maybe a manual isn't for you.
Never had to look for the engine start button, becomes muscle memory and it's my son's car I drive maybe once a month.
How big are your feet? I wear a 12 and no issues. Every once in a while depending the shoes I get a little overlap- but that happens on ANY car I drive.
I bought a sedan but surprise, it can't go through deep snow, if only there was a similar choice but with more ground clearance. Maybe one day Subaru will produce a lifted Impreza. I know the perfect name for it- they should call it CrossTrek.

Sell it and go get another Civic

·
Registered
296 Posts
Even when I was at stock ride height on original tires I never had an issue driving in the snow. Unless you're driving on unplowed roads with 6+ inches of fresh powder you are still better off than 90% of economy cars on sale today.

I'm currently running BFG ko2s and a 2in F 2.5in R lift and the car makes child's play out of blasting down snow covered trails in the woods.
I've definitely had my share of issues with the car. I just dropped six grand to replace the engine and transmission, but somehow I can't help but love the thing.
If you want tried and true build quality, reliability and longevity out of an economy car then go get a Corolla, but it won't have nearly the heart or character of the Impreza. Despite all of the quirks and faults we still love them for some crazy reason.
Yes, this is all a completely subjective view, but everyone has a different idea of what they want in a car. It's unfortunate that you dropped the money to purchase a car that you ended up not liking, but just because it's the wrong car for you doesn't mean that it's a bad car.
Honda will probably give you a sweet deal to trade it in for something that you will like. Maybe just wait until you can drive it first. I'm also not trying to roast you. I like hearing different people's opinions and experiences with the car whether it be positive or negative. I appreciate you sharing.
Land vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tire

My friend at the bottom of the hill in her Crosstrek waiting for me impatiently.
Automotive lighting Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire
Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Tire Car

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had Tundra's, Tacos, Outback's and Foresters. They each have had their problems and things I liked. The Tundra is now my wife's vehicle and I have a 2022 Impreza Premium with a CVT. I bought it because I liked my previous Impreza (2006 2.5i) and have been happy with Subaru for years (it's why I still work for a dealer after being there for 20 years). First thing I did was swap the bulbs for LED bulbs and have loved them, I have the yellow foglamp bulbs from Beam Tech. Now the deep snow issue, I wish I had some snow to try playing in, but I also decided to add a 1.5" lift to it to help out. Planning on some bigger tires to add a little more lift and to get out and play in the dirt. The car is what you make it, if it's not for you, than it's not for you, no hard feelings, but bail and find something that is you or make this car more of what you want it to be like lots of us have. I love Subaru, but I also know that it's not everyone's preferred choice and try not to talk poorly about other cars. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've had Tundra's, Tacos, Outback's and Foresters. They each have had their problems and things I liked. The Tundra is now my wife's vehicle and I have a 2022 Impreza Premium with a CVT. I bought it because I liked my previous Impreza (2006 2.5i) and have been happy with Subaru for years (it's why I still work for a dealer after being there for 20 years). First thing I did was swap the bulbs for LED bulbs and have loved them, I have the yellow foglamp bulbs from Beam Tech. Now the deep snow issue, I wish I had some snow to try playing in, but I also decided to add a 1.5" lift to it to help out. Planning on some bigger tires to add a little more lift and to get out and play in the dirt. The car is what you make it, if it's not for you, than it's not for you, no hard feelings, but bail and find something that is you or make this car more of what you want it to be like lots of us have. I love Subaru, but I also know that it's not everyone's preferred choice and try not to talk poorly about other cars. Just my two cents.
Amen

·
Registered
'21 Sport Hatch CVT Ocean Blue Pearl
170 Posts
Sorry you're disappointed with the purchase.

I get that finding cars is difficult nowadays, but given you were looking to drop thousands of dollars for a car purchase (whether immediately or over time financing), it's more important than ever to do your job and seek out the car you're going to purchase. Even going to a used car lot, you could have found one in the same generation of car to sit in and test drive before you were into this vehicle.

The only positive you should take away is you're living in a time where even though you've taken the car off the lot somewhere in the low thousands of miles, you can probably still get most of the value of the car back in trade, just due to the continuing auto shortage.

You'll pay full sticker no matter what on the replacement, but at least you won't lose 40% on this car going back into a dealers hands on a regret purchase.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can’t say I agree with most of your review, but I also went into my purchase with a pretty good idea of what I was getting. So far I’d say for the price Subaru knocked it out of the park. So far it’s the best snow car I’ve ever driven, great predictable driving, gear changes that remind me of my old 93civic in a good way, and it feels solid enough. My only gripe is I wish it had less of a long nose, I scape too easily going into driveways and I’m nervous to go off-road at all, even though I’ve taken my old fiesta and focus down plenty of old mining roads.

The one thing that stood out about your review that I have to agree with is the infotainment system. I’ve used Android Auto on plenty of systems before without much trouble. Using it in my Subaru made me switch to iPhone after weeks of trying high speed cables, messing with debugging settings on my phone, and other trouble shooting I gave up. Some days it would crash every few minutes. Apple Car Play works MUCH better, although the interface is not nearly as intuitive as AA. Overall I don’t think that’s really Subarus fault but I feel like it’s a huge miss and I would caution anyone who plans to use Android Auto with their new Subaru.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A number of the problems you experiencing can be remedied by reading the manual.

Boxer engines are inherently balanced--so I'm not sure what vibration you're refering to.

Turning radius of the Impreza 5 is 35.4 feet, which is typical for this class of cars. An example being the 2022 Civic with a turning radius of 36.1 to 38.1 feet depending on trim.

I wonder why your concerned about knowing the actual coolent temperature. Gauges of this type are common and effective--you'll know if the engine is in danger of overheating

The fuel door latch is ergonomically positioned. I open it with my left hand while seated before existing the car to refuel.

Your kidding about Subaru AWD being ineffective in the snow right?

The halogen lights are mediocre.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for your input. I think I ll have the dealer take a look at my seats heat, sorry but I dont feel it. The other Japanese vehicle Im comparing the heated seats performance to is my wife's RAV4, I didnt want to mention the name because, by any means, Im not here to advertise other brands.
I drove nothing but stick shift all my life so of course I know what gear Im in but they installed the legend feature, the way it operates its totally useless. The car I replaced with the Impreza was the cheapest trim of a Dodge Caliber which made a U turn in 1 shot on the same spot the Impreza does not, of course the Dodge wasnt AWD so that might be causing the limitation.
I live in the mountains of Pennsylvania, on a 1 foot of unplowed snow the Impreza didnt make it on my up hill driveway whereas the RAV4 didnt even feel it, I attribute that to the chassis sitting very low and the front bumper starts acting like a plow (of course its something I can see before purchasing the car).
Anyways, I ll drive it some more, maybe it ll grow on me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thank you all for your input. I think I ll have the dealer take a look at my seats heat, sorry but I dont feel it. The other Japanese vehicle Im comparing the heated seats performance to is my wife's RAV4, I didnt want to mention the name because, by any means, Im not here to advertise other brands.
I drove nothing but stick shift all my life so of course I know what gear Im in but they installed the legend feature, the way it operates its totally useless. The car I replaced with the Impreza was the cheapest trim of a Dodge Caliber which made a U turn in 1 shot on the same spot the Impreza does not, of course the Dodge wasnt AWD so that might be causing the limitation.
I live in the mountains of Pennsylvania, on a 1 foot of unplowed snow the Impreza didnt make it on my up hill driveway whereas the RAV4 didnt even feel it, I attribute that to the chassis sitting very low and the front bumper starts acting like a plow (of course its something I can see before purchasing the car).
Anyways, I ll drive it some more, maybe it ll grow on me.
Glad to hear we could help. My wife drives a Tundra and my mother in law a 2wd RAV4. They all drive different and it could be as simple as snow tires vs the all season tires. Again you may start to love the car and you may decide to move on to a different one. Either way it’s more about you being happy than what we think of the car. I thought mine sat too low, so I lifted it and am putting some all terrain tires on, you’ll find your groove.

Reactions: nowiecoche
1 - 20 of 50 Posts