5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
  • 2022 Impreza hatchback 5MT Sport.
    WHAT I DONT LIKE
    (UN)heated seats SUCK!! Feel a very slight warmth, thats it. I have another Japanese vehicle and the heated seats in 30 seconds would burn your ass.
    What gear is my shift on? Wont tell you until after you let go the clutch, by then its too late.
    3) the 3 upper center gauges are useless, oil temperature in actual numerical degrees, engine temp, only "normal" (but you never know actual temperature).
    Average speed gauge (what the hell you need that for?) Anyways after a 10 hrs trip at 75mph the gauge its stuck at 39 and been there for 3 months.
    The start button is hiding behind the steering wheel you need to twist your neck like a flamenco to see it. Engine is noisy and vibrates. Im getting bad mileage @ about 29mpg highway. The fuel lid release lever is at an odd place.
    The infotainment system is not worth the plastic its mounted on, has 100's of glitches the most annoying is it randomly drops your android apps and the starlink icon goes gray then you have to disconnect and reconnect the USB to reset it while you re driving 75mph. by the way, the USB ports are in the most inconvenient and difficult spot possible.
    Stock headlights are the primitive halogen kind although for $80 I changed them myself to LED (AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE)!
    You need a whole football field to make a U turn.
    The clutch,brake n accel. pedals are too tight together. Sits too low and on high snow you aint going anywhere.
    Oh, yea...I still cant figure out how to shut the radio off without shutting the whole screen off, you can only mute it until restart.
    There s more I just cant remember right now.
    There re 3 things I like.
    Looks, handling and gorgeous interior. Car has less than 5K miles Im so extremely disappointed that trading it in keeps crossing my mind. This is my 1st Subaru and definitely last
Just wanted to say that I've got a 2018 Impreza Premium, 47,500 miles with the cvt.
Gas mileage differs significantly between summer and winter. Winter, I'm getting around 30mpg....summer....as high as 37mpg, usually 35 driving 75%highway, As far as clearance..I agree, that can be a problem in deep snow...I've had a few issues there. However, I remember being at a stoplight at the base of a hill beside a crosstrek, on a very snowy day, When the light changed, my impreza proceeded straight up the hill, no problem and the crosstrek was fishtailing all the way up....there's something to be said for a lower center of gravity. The headunit I think is mostly a carplay issue so that's on Google, not Subaru. But it can be annoying. So far overall, the Impreza is the best car I've ever had and I don't think there is a better value out there for an AWD car except for maybe the Seltos...but I'm not sure on the build quality of the Seltos.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just wanted to say that I've got a 2018 Impreza Premium, 47,500 miles with the cvt.
Gas mileage differs significantly between summer and winter. Winter, I'm getting around 30mpg....summer....as high as 37mpg, usually 35 driving 75%highway, As far as clearance..I agree, that can be a problem in deep snow...I've had a few issues there. However, I remember being at a stoplight at the base of a hill beside a crosstrek, on a very snowy day, When the light changed, my impreza proceeded straight up the hill, no problem and the crosstrek was fishtailing all the way up....there's something to be said for a lower center of gravity. The headunit I think is mostly a carplay issue so that's on Google, not Subaru. But it can be annoying. So far overall, the Impreza is the best car I've ever had and I don't think there is a better value out there for an AWD car except for maybe the Seltos...but I'm not sure on the build quality of the Seltos.
I feel like that Crosstrek had bad tires. I have the stock sport tire and sometimes I fishtailed on snow, and also the tires are about halfway into its lifeline.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you all for your input. I think I ll have the dealer take a look at my seats heat, sorry but I dont feel it. The other Japanese vehicle Im comparing the heated seats performance to is my wife's RAV4, I didnt want to mention the name because, by any means, Im not here to advertise other brands.
I drove nothing but stick shift all my life so of course I know what gear Im in but they installed the legend feature, the way it operates its totally useless. The car I replaced with the Impreza was the cheapest trim of a Dodge Caliber which made a U turn in 1 shot on the same spot the Impreza does not, of course the Dodge wasnt AWD so that might be causing the limitation.
I live in the mountains of Pennsylvania, on a 1 foot of unplowed snow the Impreza didnt make it on my up hill driveway whereas the RAV4 didnt even feel it, I attribute that to the chassis sitting very low and the front bumper starts acting like a plow (of course its something I can see before purchasing the car).
Anyways, I ll drive it some more, maybe it ll grow on me.
I don’t have them in my Subaru but my wife’s Highlander does have awesome heat seaters, I think that’s more of a kudos to Toyota as I’m sure we’ve all sat in heated seats that aren’t that great. I think your issues with snow capability are because of going through deep snow. For that you need ground clearance and good tires. The Impreza has neither from the factory. My old Bronco is downright scary driving through paved icy snowy roads but you’ll never get stuck in deep snow. On the contrary I don’t plan to blaze trails with my Impreza but driving in the snow on plowed roads it has so far been amazing. It just feels so planted and confidence inspiring. Just my opinion. Hope you can find something that suits your needs better.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
352 Posts
  • 2022 Impreza hatchback 5MT Sport.
    WHAT I DONT LIKE
    (UN)heated seats SUCK!! Feel a very slight warmth, thats it. I have another Japanese vehicle and the heated seats in 30 seconds would burn your ass.
    What gear is my shift on? Wont tell you until after you let go the clutch, by then its too late.
    3) the 3 upper center gauges are useless, oil temperature in actual numerical degrees, engine temp, only "normal" (but you never know actual temperature).
    Average speed gauge (what the hell you need that for?) Anyways after a 10 hrs trip at 75mph the gauge its stuck at 39 and been there for 3 months.
    The start button is hiding behind the steering wheel you need to twist your neck like a flamenco to see it. Engine is noisy and vibrates. Im getting bad mileage @ about 29mpg highway. The fuel lid release lever is at an odd place.
    The infotainment system is not worth the plastic its mounted on, has 100's of glitches the most annoying is it randomly drops your android apps and the starlink icon goes gray then you have to disconnect and reconnect the USB to reset it while you re driving 75mph. by the way, the USB ports are in the most inconvenient and difficult spot possible.
    Stock headlights are the primitive halogen kind although for $80 I changed them myself to LED (AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE)!
    The clutch,brake n accel. pedals are too tight together. Sits too low and on high snow you aint going anywhere.
    Oh, yea...I still cant figure out how to shut the radio off without shutting the whole screen off, you can only mute it until restart.
    There s more I just cant remember right now.
    There re 3 things I like.
    Looks, handling and gorgeous interior. Car has less than 5K miles Im so extremely disappointed that trading it in keeps crossing my mind. This is my 1st Subaru and definitely last
Yikes...

Sorry to hear the car isn't to your liking. While I agree on a few points, I'd like to give you some other options on settings to see if you like them any better.
1. Heated seats can vary from car to car. This includes Subaru to Subaru. Leather and Cloth react differently to the heaters. This doesn't give Subaru a reason to have bad seat heaters, but its something to think about. If they are so bad you think there is an issue, please take in for warranty as there is a heating requirement for the elements.
2. Gear indicator - I've noticed the same thing. I've driven manual for so many years I don't even pay attention to it. I do on my motorcycle though because the shifter is either up or down. You don't have an H pattern to tell you exactly where the shifter is.
3. These 3 gauges can be changed. I personally use coolant temp, oil temp and instant fuel economy. I totally agree that the coolant temp saying "Norm" is stupid. Who is Norm? And why is he on my dash? The gauge range is identical to oil temp, so just comparing the two will basically tell you what temp the coolant is at.
4. Start button - I guess I'd like to know how many cars you've owed where you didn't need to turn your head to put a key in? I don't see this as being an issue at all, but thats just me. I've also learned the muscle memory on where the button is so I don't even look for it anymore. My hand just knows where to press (giggity)
5. Fuel door - After driving a crazy amount of rentals were OEM's hide this damn button in a glove box, or under the wheel, etc. I think this location is simple and easy. If I had a fuel door complaint is would be freezing shut if you leave the car outside.
6. Infotainment centers are a high warranty item and get a lot of flack from customers. You can always take it un under warranty and check for software updates and they can reset as needed. Try to use all OEM cables when connecting.
7. Fuel Economy - 29 is 1 mpg off of the sticker for highway on the manual transmission. Its also winter time so depending on where you are the cold weather and winter blend fuel play a large role in this number. You're getting exactly what the sticker advertised.
8. Headlights - Personal preference
9. Personally I love the pedal placement. Subaru's have always been great for heel-toe shifting.

A lot of this is personal preference or you just haven't driven the car enough to get comfortable with it. Like others have stated, test driving or trying to get into one of these cars prior to purchasing could have shown you a lot of these trails. At the end of the day, maybe the car isn't your cup of tea and I also get that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Engine is noisy and vibrates. Im getting bad mileage @ about 29mpg highway.

The flat-four engine was designed by Karl Benz. Yes, that Karl Benz. The engine is naturally harmonically balanced. Meaning it does not need a complicated fly wheel to make it run smoothly. There are three engine designs that are naturally harmonically balanced, flat-four, in-line six and V-12. If they are vibrating something else is happening. If you are feeling it vibrating while driving slowly in CVT mode it is because the engine is laboring. IMO, the CVT is tuned too high. Think of what you feel pulling away from a stop in second or third gear—the engine labors. Keep the RPMs above 2,000. Going around town shift between two and three thousand RPM. Going up-hill wind it out to four thousand RPM lifting up slightly on the gas—unload the driveline—while shifting up to the next gear.

We have gotten as good as 46 measured MPG. Getting better mileage using the paddle shifters than the CVT can get.

As for the turning radius. Subarus have the most advanced / sophisticated steering / drive knuckles and as a consequence the best radius in the automotive industry. If you are getting different performance, something is up.

2017 5 door Impreza

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll just add that the seat heaters in our new 2022 Impreza get extremely warm and I always have to turn them down to low or off after they've been on for only 5-10 minutes. Our Chrysler Pacifica seats get much less hot. Our BMW M5 seats get less hot, but you sink into the seat more and it warms your entire body in a way that feels more comfortable than the Subaru.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
164 Posts
Which car do you have that does ring a chime for a low fuel light? I've had or driven a Nissan Altima, Isuzu Rodeo, Toyota Tacoma, Mazda CX-5, two Foresters, and now my Impreza. None of them have a chime for the low fuel light.
If the Isuzu did, it'd be even more annoying because she's got a broken fuel sending unit and it can't actually read the level in the tank. Every trip, even with a full tank, shows a fluctuating gauge with a low fuel light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do people really drive around blissfully ignoring their fuel gauge waiting for a chime or light?
I was thinking the same thing. I do think our Chrysler has a chime, but that is definitely not the way that I know the fuel is low.

I think some people forget that Subaru is an economy car, the Impreza in particular, yet does a very good job at providing value at a low price point. If you want a BMW, and can afford a BMW, then buy one. I have owned many "fancy" cars over the years, including BMW, Audi, and Porsche, but those were much more expensive than the brand new Impreza that I just bought, even compared to the price of BMW/Audi/Porsche many years ago.

We got the Impreza as a second car for commuting, with our other car being a top of the line Chrysler Pacifica. I am fully satisfied with the Subaru and have been pleasantly surprised how functional and practical it is for the price I paid.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Which car do you have that does ring a chime for a low fuel light? I've had or driven a Nissan Altima, Isuzu Rodeo, Toyota Tacoma, Mazda CX-5, two Foresters, and now my Impreza. None of them have a chime for the low fuel light.
If the Isuzu did, it'd be even more annoying because she's got a broken fuel sending unit and it can't actually read the level in the tank. Every trip, even with a full tank, shows a fluctuating gauge with a low fuel light.
My Flex has a chime, but it also cost 20+k more than Impreza does now 6 years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
Look, this is my last posting. The car is a piece of shit at $27K definitely not worth it. Worse car Ive had, miserably built in every aspect. A severely underpowered engine that only gets you 28mpg is considered a gas guzzler. My $16k cheap Dodge Caliber was much better buiilt and yes it had a chime for low fuel and so does my Rav4, not only it chimes but automatically opens a screen on the infotainment with a list of nearest gas stations, click "go there" on Toyota all oil changes and tire rotations are free for 36 mnths or 36k miles (not subaru) cost of Rav4? $33k because its a hybrid or else $29k (regular ) for a $2k difference its a much better car that has every gizmo, real heated seats, lane departure, auto braking, pedestrian detect, speed range cruise control, side blind spot monitor, auto hi beams, auto liftgate, 8 way power seat. it even came with a power sunroof and pearl finish.....so many more things I dont even remember. The hybrid averages 41mpg and its much larger and heavier than impreza. I said I wasnt going to advertise other brands but everybody else is listing brands as comparisons so here is mine.
If you own the impreza and you re happy, more power to you, if you re thinking of buying it and you re looking for recomendations DONT BUYIT!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Look, this is my last posting. The car is a piece of shit at $27K definitely not worth it. Worse car Ive had, miserably built in every aspect. A severely underpowered engine that only gets you 28mpg is considered a gas guzzler. My $16k cheap Dodge Caliber was much better buiilt and yes it had a chime for low fuel and so does my Rav4, not only it chimes but automatically opens a screen on the infotainment with a list of nearest gas stations, click "go there" on Toyota all oil changes and tire rotations are free for 36 mnths or 36k miles (not subaru) cost of Rav4? $33k because its a hybrid or else $29k (regular ) for a $2k difference its a much better car that has every gizmo, real heated seats, lane departure, auto braking, pedestrian detect, speed range cruise control, side blind spot monitor, auto hi beams, auto liftgate, 8 way power seat. it even came with a power sunroof and pearl finish.....so many more things I dont even remember. The hybrid averages 41mpg and its much larger and heavier than impreza. I said I wasnt going to advertise other brands but everybody else is listing brands as comparisons so here is mine.
If you own the impreza and you re happy, more power to you, if you re thinking of buying it and you re looking for recomendations DONT BUYIT!
LOL Dodge better build quality- enjoy the Rav4.

Hey, do they still turn off the 'AWD' over 25mph?

·
Registered
204 Posts
There is nothing stopping you from trading in or reselling it. In today's market you will not lose a cent. Subaru Indiana has stopped making and shipping any more new Imprezas for the rest of 2022.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've heard a low fuel chime, but I think the fuel level has to be lower than 40 miles of range remaining. I think there's different trigger points for the light and then for the chime. I don't let that low before refilling so I haven't heard the chime in a while. I tend to watch my fuel range remaining so the low fuel light and other warnings aren't really features I need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've heard a low fuel chime, but I think the fuel level has to be lower than 40 miles of range remaining. I think there's different trigger points for the light and then for the chime. I don't let that low before refilling so I haven't heard the chime in a while. I tend to watch my fuel range remaining so the low fuel light and other warnings aren't really features I need.
I can’t recall if there is a chime or not, but I’ll keep an eye on it. I let my gas get as low as possible before filling up so that I can maximize my gas savings through my grocery reward program, so I’ll hear the chime if there is one. It gives me up to $1 off per gallon, but points can only be used in a single transaction, so it is always best to wait until I can fill up as much as possible before using it.

As for some other complaints above, I have found the lane keep feature, blind spot detection, automatic cruise control, collision avoidance, and pedestrian detection to work quite well. It even has an alert to let me know when the car in front of my has moved at a light if I am distracted (by my children in the back, never by my phone which I hide while driving). It might not be as slick as a Tesla with autopilot (which has its own issues), but again, for such a cheap car it seems very good.

I paid around $25k OTD for my Impreza limited edition with blind-spot detection. That’s less than I paid for my old Honda Civic Touring around 6 years ago.

I hate to say anybody’s opinion is invalid, but my initial impressions are that the negative reaction here is unfounded. Either the buyer did not understand this is an economy car, or the car is a dud and needs to be brought in for warranty repair since I have not experienced any of these issues.

·
Registered
'21 Sport Hatch CVT Ocean Blue Pearl
170 Posts
You must be fun at parties.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
166 Posts
I appreciate your honest take on this car. While I may not agree that all that of those are dealbreakers, I do agree that this car isn't the most feature rich or best assembled at this price point bar the AWD. Hope you find a better suited car for your purposes!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts