5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Impreza fro my wife. The car feels like I’m driving on ice. The tires from the factory or dealership had 42lbs in the tires, I lowered it to 36. It didn’t really help. I drove with her down 95 the other day and almost cried from fear. Why is the steering so loose ? The car is all over the place.

· Registered
957 Posts
Impreza fro my wife. The car feels like I’m driving on ice. The tires from the factory or dealership had 42lbs in the tires, I lowered it to 36. It didn’t really help. I drove with her down 95 the other day and almost cried from fear. Why is the steering so loose ? The car is all over the place.
Sounds like you need to install a steering lockdown bracket.

· Registered
239 Posts
The tires are overinflated. Reduce the tire pressure to the the factory recommendation, which is 33 front and 32 rear on my Sport, but may be different on your trim. It will make a noticable difference. The steering isn't "loose". Steering ratio on the Generation 5 Impreza is 1:13, which is fast and may take a while to become familiar with.

· Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
582 Posts
Look, this is my last posting. The car is a piece of shit at $27K definitely not worth it. Worse car Ive had, miserably built in every aspect. A severely underpowered engine that only gets you 28mpg is considered a gas guzzler. My $16k cheap Dodge Caliber was much better buiilt and yes it had a chime for low fuel and so does my Rav4, not only it chimes but automatically opens a screen on the infotainment with a list of nearest gas stations, click "go there" on Toyota all oil changes and tire rotations are free for 36 mnths or 36k miles (not subaru) cost of Rav4? $33k because its a hybrid or else $29k (regular ) for a $2k difference its a much better car that has every gizmo, real heated seats, lane departure, auto braking, pedestrian detect, speed range cruise control, side blind spot monitor, auto hi beams, auto liftgate, 8 way power seat. it even came with a power sunroof and pearl finish.....so many more things I dont even remember. The hybrid averages 41mpg and its much larger and heavier than impreza. I said I wasnt going to advertise other brands but everybody else is listing brands as comparisons so here is mine.
If you own the impreza and you re happy, more power to you, if you re thinking of buying it and you re looking for recomendations DONT BUYIT!
This is a Subaru enthusiast forum. Most of your complaints are personal preference and also lack of research prior to buying the car in the first place. With all do respect, nobody on here is wanting to hear your opinion on how much you hate the car. You're entitled to your opinion, but you chose the incorrect platform to broadcast it. Sorry you dislike the car, but tell it to Car and Driver and not to a bunch of people who take pride in the car you are bashing.

· Registered
2 Posts
The lane assist keeps you in the lane and when engaged can feel like you are driving on ice. You might want to turn that feature off, check your owners manual or go to the dealer / your sales rep and have them help you.

· Registered
809 Posts
The lane assist keeps you in the lane and when engaged can feel like you are driving on ice.
GOOD POINT!!

My base Impreza does not have eyesite.... but when in the shop, they gave me a 'loaner' with "lane-assist".
It felt to me like there was something wrong with the steering cuz the steering-wheel kept 'pulling' left/right as I drove. Once I figured it out and turned OFF the "lane-assist"... it drove like my Imp. like it was on rails.

I also have to say that it was wintertime when I had that loaner car. There was sand all over the road surface so the paint-lines were mostly obscured. Instead, there were 'lines' of sand on the roads where the tires do not touch. The "lane-assist" was pretty confused about the whole thing and did not know what to track.

In the end - my opinion of "lane-assist" is that it is pretty useless on roads where the painted lines are worn off by tires/plows abrading the sand into the road-surface.... which describes most the roads I drive. If we are lucky, the center-line paint still exists when spring arrives.

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
GOOD POINT!!

My base Impreza does not have eyesite.... but when in the shop, they gave me a 'loaner' with "lane-assist".
It felt to me like there was something wrong with the steering cuz the steering-wheel kept 'pulling' left/right as I drove. Once I figured it out and turned OFF the "lane-assist"... it drove like my Imp. like it was on rails.

I also have to say that it was wintertime when I had that loaner car. There was sand all over the road surface so the paint-lines were mostly obscured. Instead, there were 'lines' of sand on the roads where the tires do not touch. The "lane-assist" was pretty confused about the whole thing and did not know what to track.

In the end - my opinion of "lane-assist" is that it is pretty useless on roads where the painted lines are worn off by tires/plows abrading the sand into the road-surface.... which describes most the roads I drive. If we are lucky, the center-line paint still exists when spring arrives.
My family bought a '21 Forester when I purchased my Impreza, and it has the lane keep assist. It annoys my mom who daylies the car, but I found it to be nice, except when lane markings are vague or worn.

When I was given a rental while my Impreza was in the shop, I had to drive a Corolla and a Forte, both had lane keep, where the Toyota almost felt like it would kill me, the Forte did alright. I still found the Subaru system best, though not without its flaws.

· Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
184 Posts
Personally I like the lane keep assist. It’s not super useful, but if you get distracted by something, and your not quite making the turn sharp enough, it’ll give you a little bump. Also, it’s hard to leave your lane without getting multiple beeps and a loud chime, which is good if your super tired or again, super distracted by something. Remember it’s not the lane centering that is part of the newer eyesight, it’s not designed to steer for you

· Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
264 Posts
they installed the legend feature, the way it operates its totally useless.
I think the reason why is because the gear calculation actually comes from whatever drives the cluster (ECM?) on the MT car. Obviously the CVT computer can tell the ECM what "gear" it's in for manual mode, but for our MT car there are no sensors in the gearbox except the reverse switch.

I believe it compares the ratio between the speed to the engine RPM to figure out what gear you are in. I base this theory because if you disconnect the clutch sensor and clutch in, as the engine speed drops, the cluster reading gets confused and counts up to 5 before going blank. Also, I've had a funny indication appear there for a brief second if I pop it gently out of gear without using the clutch (while unloaded of course).

My take on it is that the sensor is not there to tell you what gear you've just selected before you clutch out, it's so that if you drive for a while in a certain gear and then need to change, you can "refresh" your memory of what gear you are in without needing to compare the needles on the tach/speedo or look down at the stick.

My brother's car is a Mazda3 manual (2016) and it does not "update" the gear position to the next gear until you have released the clutch, so same story there pretty much.

· Registered
2017 Subaru Impreza Sport
139 Posts
I love my Impreza Sport and reading your negative review was torture to me. I will address each of your negatives. 1. Seats do get toasty warm. I set it on Hi to get it heated faster and flip to Lo when it's heated. The Hi and Lo doesn't control the actual heat temp. Both Hi and Lo will get up to the same temp. Hi just heats up faster that's all. 2. The clutch needs to be released so the cars computer can know it's actually in gear. 3. It's Water Temp (Lo, Normal, High) I never seen High. Oil Temp (number temp). Who and why would anyone use average speed!? I personally pick Constant Fuel Usage and or Throttle Application Percentage. They are both fun to watch and informative. 3. The Start Button is in plain sight and I find it without even having to look it's second nature to me. 4. 29mpg is on par for highway driving and is close to the 30mpg that the car has been rated for. As for myself I average between 28 and 32mpg. 5. I have been using the standard radio. When I did use AA these were some condition issues but nothing to cry about. 6. I use the center console USB port. It's out of the way and out of sight and there is a provided slot for the cable to keep things tidy and allow the arm rest to close completely. 7. The headlights are average for basic halogen. 8. The pedals to me are spaced just right. 9. Ground clearance is great at just over 5inches. I never had trouble driving snow over 6inches deep. Also 5inches is about average ground clearance for cars. Anything over 5inches would be found with crossovers and SUVs. The Crosstrek is has a class leading 8.7inches. If you wanted that addition clearance you should of opted for the Crosstrek or Outback or Forester.

· Registered
4 Posts
I love my Impreza Sport and reading your negative review was torture to me. I will address each of your negatives. 1. Seats do get toasty warm. I set it on Hi to get it heated faster and flip to Lo when it's heated. The Hi and Lo doesn't control the actual heat temp. Both Hi and Lo will get up to the same temp. Hi just heats up faster that's all. 2. The clutch needs to be released so the cars computer can know it's actually in gear. 3. It's Water Temp (Lo, Normal, High) I never seen High. Oil Temp (number temp). Who and why would anyone use average speed!? I personally pick Constant Fuel Usage and or Throttle Application Percentage. They are both fun to watch and informative. 3. The Start Button is in plain sight and I find it without even having to look it's second nature to me. 4. 29mpg is on par for highway driving and is close to the 30mpg that the car has been rated for. As for myself I average between 28 and 32mpg. 5. I have been using the standard radio. When I did use AA these were some condition issues but nothing to cry about. 6. I use the center console USB port. It's out of the way and out of sight and there is a provided slot for the cable to keep things tidy and allow the arm rest to close completely. 7. The headlights are average for basic halogen. 8. The pedals to me are spaced just right. 9. Ground clearance is great at just over 5inches. I never had trouble driving snow over 6inches deep. Also 5inches is about average ground clearance for cars. Anything over 5inches would be found with crossovers and SUVs. The Crosstrek is has a class leading 8.7inches. If you wanted that addition clearance you should of opted for the Crosstrek or Outback or Forester.
Dude, you re comparing apples to broccoli here. I have a 2021 and I concur with just about everything the OP posted. Halogen lighting is 40 yr old time to snap out of it. I dont know what Impreza you have but your comment about the USB port and cable makes absolutely no sense to me, what slot?, what door? the cable just hangs out sloppy and many times gets tangled on the shifter and unplugs itself off when engaging 4th gear or reverse, now its dark, I have to pull over and hustle trying to find the slot buried under the dash. If you re happy with ground clearance of 5" I feel sorry for you, (sure, thats something thats in plain view, must agree) Heated seats on newer Imprezas dont heat up like the older models due to Subaru switching to weaker (cheaper) elements. The clutch does nothing for the computer, the computer gets the info from the microswitches inside the gearbox. I want to add some more deficiencies I ve noticed on mine, when it rains and car is parked water accumulates inside the front doors, when doors are opened at least 1/2 gallon of water starts pissing out from some holes at the bottom, that cant be good rust wise, I predict the bottom would look like a swiss cheese in a couple of years. The side view mirrors sit drooping down making it hard to see on diagonal merges. And last but not least I would ve liked a light in the rear cargo area instead of having to use my cell phone to see what the hell Im doing at night, anyways, enough ranting....I had a FIAT 128 when I was young this car reminds me so much of it 😂

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
No microswitches in the gearbox - computer calculates gear based off engine speed and vehicle speed. That's why it doesn't know what gear you shifted into until after you disengage the clutch.

I would love to see LED Projector headlamps, or even halogen projector assemblies rather than reflector housings. However I also dislike LED headlamps for the fact that when used often times foolish drivers blind others from leaving high beams on or from lifting their vehicles enough that the low beams become level with most other driver's heads.

· Registered
139 Posts
Dude, you re comparing apples to broccoli here. I have a 2021 and I concur with just about everything the OP posted. Halogen lighting is 40 yr old time to snap out of it. I dont know what Impreza you have but your comment about the USB port and cable makes absolutely no sense to me, what slot?, what door? the cable just hangs out sloppy and many times gets tangled on the shifter and unplugs itself off when engaging 4th gear or reverse, now its dark, I have to pull over and hustle trying to find the slot buried under the dash. If you re happy with ground clearance of 5" I feel sorry for you, (sure, thats something thats in plain view, must agree) Heated seats on newer Imprezas dont heat up like the older models due to Subaru switching to weaker (cheaper) elements. The clutch does nothing for the computer, the computer gets the info from the microswitches inside the gearbox. I want to add some more deficiencies I ve noticed on mine, when it rains and car is parked water accumulates inside the front doors, when doors are opened at least 1/2 gallon of water starts pissing out from some holes at the bottom, that cant be good rust wise, I predict the bottom would look like a swiss cheese in a couple of years. The side view mirrors sit drooping down making it hard to see on diagonal merges. And last but not least I would ve liked a light in the rear cargo area instead of having to use my cell phone to see what the hell Im doing at night, anyways, enough ranting....I had a FIAT 128 when I was young this car reminds me so much of it 😂
I feel so bad for you. You really been having a bad experience. I have very little to dislike about my 17 Sport model with 5speed. I wonder where your USB port is located since you said something about under the dash. My USB port is in the center console compartment. There is a slot for USB cable to pass through when the lid is fully closed. So I don't see how the cable would become undone or caught up on the shifter. Also I use the heated seats often and it gets plenty hot for me. I don't have experience with previous model heated seats so I don't know how much hotter those seats would get. All I know is that my seats are more than good enough. Next point is about the gear selector display. It wouldn't make sense to display a gear as soon as the shifter is placed in that slot since the gear truly hasn't been engaged since the clutch is still depressed which is considered to be neutral because it is indeed in neutral anytime the clutch is depressed even with the shifter in a gear slot already. So yeah once the clutch is released is when the gear is engaged and can be displayed. Next point regarding the headlights. I agree they can be brighter yet for what they are as halogens they do a decent job and hi beams are more than bright enough to me. I could counter each of your points but for what when it seems that your dislikes run so deep for your Impreza which is very unfortunate. I will never allow or standby as I hear or read anything that tries to bash such a great car.
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Tints and shades Space Art Electric blue Rectangle
Fluid Vehicle door Gas Electric blue Auto part

Attachments

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
I feel so bad for you. You really been having a bad experience. I have very little to dislike about my 17 Sport model with 5speed. I wonder where your USB port is located since you said something about under the dash. My USB port is in the center console compartment. There is a slot for USB cable to pass through when the lid is fully closed. So I don't see how the cable would become undone or caught up on the shifter.
I believe facelift models (2020+) have their head unit and power USB under the AC controls, in your image you only have a 12v jack there. I can understand having the cord unplug from this position on newer models because its a very easy area to pull the plug straight out from. I use a 4ft USB cable that doesn't get wrapped around my shifter but follows to the left of it and my phone sits in the cup holder charger side up.

· Registered
139 Posts
I believe facelift models (2020+) have their head unit and power USB under the AC controls, in your image you only have a 12v jack there. I can understand having the cord unplug from this position on newer models because its a very easy area to pull the plug straight out from. I use a 4ft USB cable that doesn't get wrapped around my shifter but follows to the left of it and my phone sits in the cup holder charger side up.
That makes much more sense. I guess they thought it would offer easier access by having it under the dash. I like the center console set up. Yeah it isn't easy to plug in due to its position but once it's plugged in its all good.
There is one think I wish my 17 Sport with 5speed had and that's auto locking doors. I was so surprised by that lack of feature. Also when they are locked by the button the driver door in particular won't unlock itself when the door is pulled. My best guess is that since it is a manual there is no Park position like in automatics and also no Drive as in automatics that would tell the car that it's either Parked and or Gear (drive). So yeah that's one of my dislikes.

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
That makes much more sense. I guess they thought it would offer easier access by having it under the dash. I like the center console set up. Yeah it isn't easy to plug in due to its position but once it's plugged in its all good.
There is one think I wish my 17 Sport with 5speed had and that's auto locking doors. I was so surprised by that lack of feature. Also when they are locked by the button the driver door in particular won't unlock itself when the door is pulled. My best guess is that since it is a manual there is no Park position like in automatics and also no Drive as in automatics that would tell the car that it's either Parked and or Gear (drive). So yeah that's one of my dislikes.
That may have been an upper trim offer initially, as my '22 Sport does have auto locking doors, keyless entry, and auto unlock. So its likely facelift models got more features as base - I'd be curious to see what all of them entail, either cost effective to standardize models or regulation requiring some of these features on newer models.

· Registered
139 Posts
That may have been an upper trim offer initially, as my '22 Sport does have auto locking doors, keyless entry, and auto unlock. So its likely facelift models got more features as base - I'd be curious to see what all of them entail, either cost effective to standardize models or regulation requiring some of these features on newer models.
I wonder if auto locking doors can be programmed to my 17 Sport. I have keyless entry and keyless start. My Sport is packaged out with the available packages at that time for the 17 model year. I just found the lack of auto locking doors strange.

· Registered
4 Posts
No microswitches in the gearbox - computer calculates gear based off engine speed and vehicle speed. That's why it doesn't know what gear you shifted into until after you disengage the clutch
And you got that information exactly from where? The computer doesnt calculate jack shit, the gearbox sends the signals mechanically just the way it sends the signal to the reverse lights to go on everytime you engage reverse. Anyways, Im done knocking sense. Do I need that feature? Hell, NO! But it crisps my nerves how Subaru engineers can be so extremely unintelligent Because thats how the car is, its extremely unintelligently designed. By the way, I brought that gear display gizmo up, among many other things, when I was invited by the dealer for a "vehice familiarization" meeting, the agent was totally lost for words. I will be back with the list of what will make the design more intelligent, see who agrees with me, and who doesnt and the reason why.

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
423 Posts
And you got that information exactly from where? The computer doesnt calculate jack shit, the gearbox sends the signals mechanically just the way it sends the signal to the reverse lights to go on everytime you engage reverse. Anyways, Im done knocking sense. Do I need that feature? Hell, NO! But it crisps my nerves how Subaru engineers can be so extremely unintelligent Because thats how the car is, its extremely unintelligently designed. By the way, I brought that gear display gizmo up, among many other things, when I was invited by the dealer for a "vehice familiarization" meeting, the agent was totally lost for words. I will be back with the list of what will make the design more intelligent, see who agrees with me, and who doesnt and the reason why.
The computer does in fact calculate - there isn't a switch inside the transmission for gears, there is a reverse light switch, which in fact is required for all vehicles - think, the camera and lights come on when you have clutch engaged. All manual transmission cars do this.

Your computer calculates vehicle speed based on a measurement of transmission rotations (note, not wheel rotations, transmission rotations). It knows engine speed based on crank shaft rotations, all of those are digital.

Could there have been a series of switches and measure to understand the gear the car is in? Sure, but using the computer to determine is cheaper, easier, and more reliable. I've got this information as that's how pretty much all manual transmissions today with a 'gear display' operate. I may not have built these cars, but it's not difficult to lookup information.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts