5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Impreza fro my wife. The car feels like I’m driving on ice. The tires from the factory or dealership had 42lbs in the tires, I lowered it to 36. It didn’t really help. I drove with her down 95 the other day and almost cried from fear. Why is the steering so loose ? The car is all over the place.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Impreza fro my wife. The car feels like I’m driving on ice. The tires from the factory or dealership had 42lbs in the tires, I lowered it to 36. It didn’t really help. I drove with her down 95 the other day and almost cried from fear. Why is the steering so loose ? The car is all over the place.
LOL

·
Registered
944 Posts
Sounds like you need to install a steering lockdown bracket.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The tires are overinflated. Reduce the tire pressure to the the factory recommendation, which is 33 front and 32 rear on my Sport, but may be different on your trim. It will make a noticable difference. The steering isn't "loose". Steering ratio on the Generation 5 Impreza is 1:13, which is fast and may take a while to become familiar with.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
352 Posts
Look, this is my last posting. The car is a piece of shit at $27K definitely not worth it. Worse car Ive had, miserably built in every aspect. A severely underpowered engine that only gets you 28mpg is considered a gas guzzler. My $16k cheap Dodge Caliber was much better buiilt and yes it had a chime for low fuel and so does my Rav4, not only it chimes but automatically opens a screen on the infotainment with a list of nearest gas stations, click "go there" on Toyota all oil changes and tire rotations are free for 36 mnths or 36k miles (not subaru) cost of Rav4? $33k because its a hybrid or else $29k (regular ) for a $2k difference its a much better car that has every gizmo, real heated seats, lane departure, auto braking, pedestrian detect, speed range cruise control, side blind spot monitor, auto hi beams, auto liftgate, 8 way power seat. it even came with a power sunroof and pearl finish.....so many more things I dont even remember. The hybrid averages 41mpg and its much larger and heavier than impreza. I said I wasnt going to advertise other brands but everybody else is listing brands as comparisons so here is mine.
If you own the impreza and you re happy, more power to you, if you re thinking of buying it and you re looking for recomendations DONT BUYIT!
This is a Subaru enthusiast forum. Most of your complaints are personal preference and also lack of research prior to buying the car in the first place. With all do respect, nobody on here is wanting to hear your opinion on how much you hate the car. You're entitled to your opinion, but you chose the incorrect platform to broadcast it. Sorry you dislike the car, but tell it to Car and Driver and not to a bunch of people who take pride in the car you are bashing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The lane assist keeps you in the lane and when engaged can feel like you are driving on ice. You might want to turn that feature off, check your owners manual or go to the dealer / your sales rep and have them help you.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The lane assist keeps you in the lane and when engaged can feel like you are driving on ice.
GOOD POINT!!

My base Impreza does not have eyesite.... but when in the shop, they gave me a 'loaner' with "lane-assist".
It felt to me like there was something wrong with the steering cuz the steering-wheel kept 'pulling' left/right as I drove. Once I figured it out and turned OFF the "lane-assist"... it drove like my Imp. like it was on rails.

I also have to say that it was wintertime when I had that loaner car. There was sand all over the road surface so the paint-lines were mostly obscured. Instead, there were 'lines' of sand on the roads where the tires do not touch. The "lane-assist" was pretty confused about the whole thing and did not know what to track.

In the end - my opinion of "lane-assist" is that it is pretty useless on roads where the painted lines are worn off by tires/plows abrading the sand into the road-surface.... which describes most the roads I drive. If we are lucky, the center-line paint still exists when spring arrives.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
164 Posts
GOOD POINT!!

My base Impreza does not have eyesite.... but when in the shop, they gave me a 'loaner' with "lane-assist".
It felt to me like there was something wrong with the steering cuz the steering-wheel kept 'pulling' left/right as I drove. Once I figured it out and turned OFF the "lane-assist"... it drove like my Imp. like it was on rails.

I also have to say that it was wintertime when I had that loaner car. There was sand all over the road surface so the paint-lines were mostly obscured. Instead, there were 'lines' of sand on the roads where the tires do not touch. The "lane-assist" was pretty confused about the whole thing and did not know what to track.

In the end - my opinion of "lane-assist" is that it is pretty useless on roads where the painted lines are worn off by tires/plows abrading the sand into the road-surface.... which describes most the roads I drive. If we are lucky, the center-line paint still exists when spring arrives.
My family bought a '21 Forester when I purchased my Impreza, and it has the lane keep assist. It annoys my mom who daylies the car, but I found it to be nice, except when lane markings are vague or worn.

When I was given a rental while my Impreza was in the shop, I had to drive a Corolla and a Forte, both had lane keep, where the Toyota almost felt like it would kill me, the Forte did alright. I still found the Subaru system best, though not without its flaws.

·
Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
137 Posts
Personally I like the lane keep assist. It’s not super useful, but if you get distracted by something, and your not quite making the turn sharp enough, it’ll give you a little bump. Also, it’s hard to leave your lane without getting multiple beeps and a loud chime, which is good if your super tired or again, super distracted by something. Remember it’s not the lane centering that is part of the newer eyesight, it’s not designed to steer for you

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
196 Posts
they installed the legend feature, the way it operates its totally useless.
I think the reason why is because the gear calculation actually comes from whatever drives the cluster (ECM?) on the MT car. Obviously the CVT computer can tell the ECM what "gear" it's in for manual mode, but for our MT car there are no sensors in the gearbox except the reverse switch.

I believe it compares the ratio between the speed to the engine RPM to figure out what gear you are in. I base this theory because if you disconnect the clutch sensor and clutch in, as the engine speed drops, the cluster reading gets confused and counts up to 5 before going blank. Also, I've had a funny indication appear there for a brief second if I pop it gently out of gear without using the clutch (while unloaded of course).

My take on it is that the sensor is not there to tell you what gear you've just selected before you clutch out, it's so that if you drive for a while in a certain gear and then need to change, you can "refresh" your memory of what gear you are in without needing to compare the needles on the tach/speedo or look down at the stick.

My brother's car is a Mazda3 manual (2016) and it does not "update" the gear position to the next gear until you have released the clutch, so same story there pretty much.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts