5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Impreza Premium CVT 5-door
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any way to get an Impreza Limited leather wrapped steering wheel into a Premium trim Impreza? I have a '22 Premium CVT Hatch but would really like the OEM leather wrapped wheel. Don't see it on the accessory list or anything that "officially" fits. Ideas?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have a '22 Premium and have considered the same. The plastic is so bad on this wheel. You can get them off eBay or parts.subaru. Getting direct looks to be actually cheaper right now. This is listed as P/N 34312FL06BVH or 34312FL06AVH for a '17-20. Difficult to tell direct from subaru which P/N is the leather vs plastic vs heated, etc so eBay may be easier? Not sure if the '22 had any changes.

You'd need to swap over your airbag. You can also get a leather cover kit and stitch it over, but I imagine that's a good amount of work and I prefer OEM where possible.

·
Registered
2022 Impreza Premium CVT 5-door
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Precisely. The cut/seam lines on the steering wheel are surprisingly bad and precisely where your hand is touching all the time - almost sharp.

Yeah - want to keep it OEM as possible, but therein lies the question - I noticed the Subaru parts website show a leather wheel - and it shows compatible with Imprezas up to 2020... but I'm not aware of any changes to the wheel between '20 and '22 or if they just never bothered to update their database/website.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah - want to keep it OEM as possible, but therein lies the question - I noticed the Subaru parts website show a leather wheel - and it shows compatible with Imprezas up to 2020... but I'm not aware of any changes to the wheel between '20 and '22 or if they just never bothered to update their database/website.
If I'm not mistaking, 2020 and newer models added the "si drive" buttons on the right hand side of the wheel. My 2017 limited doesn't have these buttons. There may be other differences though.. Not sure why the wheel you're looking at wouldn't be compatible with say, 2021. Maybe they just didn't update the listing?

·
Registered
'19 Impreza Premium, '22 Outback Wilderness, '98 Outback Limited
9 Posts
If you look through ebay you can find the limited steering wheel (silver stitching), but it could take some time as they don't come up anywhere near as much as the regular ones, crosstrek, or sport ones do. Try to make sure it already has the same buttons as yours does (ie, the si drive), although you may be able to mount those buttons onto a steering wheel without them since I think it's basically just a blank there.

It's dead simple to swap the steering wheels, though, and feels way nicer to drive with the leather one.

The airbag is even extremely easy to remove! For some reason the steering column doesn't have a flat spot on the splines to align the steering wheel straight, though, so either remove and install it carefully or just keep taking it on and off 'til it's straight like I did lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is anyone aware if it's actually possible to mount the (S/I) buttons on a wheel that doesn't have them? They aren't blanks on previous wheels, the buttons simply don't exist. Would prefer a white stitched wheel, but may end up settling for orange as there's quite a few more available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh forget it, just bought the wheel and shifter assembly with orange stitch 😆 I'm sure it'll be subtle.

The airbag is even extremely easy to remove! For some reason the steering column doesn't have a flat spot on the splines to align the steering wheel straight, though, so either remove and install it carefully or just keep taking it on and off 'til it's straight like I did lol
Do you have a good writeup handy on how to swap out the wheel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh forget it, just bought the wheel and shifter assembly with orange stitch 😆 I'm sure it'll be subtle.

Do you have a good writeup handy on how to swap out the wheel?
I'll go look at my old steering wheel and see if there's a spot to mount those buttons. As for the orange, at least it's a nice orange and they'll match lol you could get the center console lid in orange, too, just for even more matching.

I don't, but I'll get some pictures and half write it up real quick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to mount the SI buttons on a wheel that doesn't have them. The buttons for the volume and phone functions are mounted on the same piece as a unit in the steering wheel, and the buttons for the cruise control and the blank where the SI would go are the exact same size. So it doesn't look like it would make any difference if you tried to put them in there, as the space they'd take up is already there and they'd just be part of the cruise control button assembly/unit. But you would probably need the whole unit with the cruise control buttons, though, as they seem like they'd be attached to the bottom of that based on how the buttons on the other side of the steering wheel are set up.

Here's the backside of the cruise control buttons (where the SI would be attached to the bottom of that unit, if I had it)
Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Tool

And here's the backside of the volume and phone buttons, where the only difference is that there are buttons on the front side of the bottom of it. Physically, both sides look identical, minus me not having the SI buttons. The extra plug on this side is for the little arrows and SET button for the gauge cluster screen.
Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive tire Vehicle brake Helmet

I'll make another post for the pictures of how to switch the steering wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I have pictures of my old steering wheel but none of actually changing it in the car, but that should be fine as it really is that easy to do it. Before doing this, though, be sure your wheels are as straight as possible as for some reason Subaru didn't think it was necessary to put a flat spot on the column splines to make it easy to get your steering wheel straight. You can try to mark the end of the column with a sharpie or something where center is on the old steering wheel, too. If it's a little off when you put the new one on, though, it's really easy to take it apart again and try to straighten it out (ask me how many times I did that lol). Also, you should probably disconnect your battery and wait a few minutes before removing the airbag just in case it decides it wants to blow up in your face.

So starting with the airbag, it is extremely easy to remove. There are three straight spring pieces in the cast frame of the steering wheel that retain the airbag itself, as it has pins that come off of the back of it and push past those springs to stay in place.
Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Gas Automotive tire

The backside of the steering wheel has three little holes, each corresponding to one of those spring pieces, where you can stick a flathead screwdriver in and push on the spring to release the pin on the back of the airbag. It can be a little finicky to get your screwdriver on them enough to release the pin, but it is actually really easy overall.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Yellow Locking hubs

Once you get the airbag released from those, you can just pull it out a bit and unplug it. Next would be unplugging the paddle shifters (if you have them) and the steering wheel buttons. After that is just loosening the nut that holds the steering wheel on (which should be a 17mm, if I remember right). Leave the nut on the last few threads of the column, and either use a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel or just pull around it evenly til it comes off (it will come off pretty suddenly and hard, though, but it isn't too bad since that nut will keep it from coming off all the way). After that the steering wheel should come right off. Installing the new one is basically the opposite of removing, except when you remount the air bag in the new wheel you just have to push down on the left, right, and bottom of it to seat the pins and that's it. The horn will definitely go off each time you push it, though, fyi. If you need any help with disassembling the steering wheel to change the buttons I can try to get some pictures of that, too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is extremely helpful, thanks so much! I'll wait to see how the orange stitch looks in person but may end up bleaching or dyeing the stitching black - I don't think that should be too difficult. Definitely going to use this when doing the swap, although taking apart the airbag does sketch me out a bit 😬

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're very welcome! If you really want, I can't take some pictures of actually taking the airbag out tomorrow after work so you can see the pins and plugs on the back of it. As long as you disconnect the battery and give it some time before messing with it, the airbag shouldn't give you any issues. Just be gentle with it anyway, though, as it is technically an explosive of sorts lol hopefully the orange looks nice in there and you won't have to dye it, although even just having the leather and black stitching will be a million times better than the regular rubber wheel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, the difference is night and day. Makes the car so much more enjoyable to drive. The orange stitch is actually very subtle, don't mind it at all. Looking forward to doing the sport shifter next.

Car Vehicle Speedometer Plant Automotive design

One thing I didn't realize until I installed it, this wheel came from a car that had lane centering vs my car's lane keep assist, so the button is different. Before I go hacking away, anyone know if these buttons just pop right off and I can just swap them?

Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Mirror Rim

·
Registered
9 Posts
The orange looks pretty good! And the combo of the shifter and the steering wheel is quite nice, it really does make it nicer to drive. The leather center console lid from the limited is also quite a nice addition lol

It'll take some disassembly, but you should be able to swap them straight over. There's a plastic, like, pin that holds the button assembly in once the screws are out that's a bit tough to push out, though. Just be easy with it and slowly apply more force on it til it comes out, otherwise the little plastic locator pin things can break off. It's pretty easy to figure out how to swap them out, too, just take a little time with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The orange looks pretty good! And the combo of the shifter and the steering wheel is quite nice, it really does make it nicer to drive. The leather center console lid from the limited is also quite a nice addition lol

It'll take some disassembly, but you should be able to swap them straight over. There's a plastic, like, pin that holds the button assembly in once the screws are out that's a bit tough to push out, though. Just be easy with it and slowly apply more force on it til it comes out, otherwise the little plastic locator pin things can break off. It's pretty easy to figure out how to swap them out, too, just take a little time with it.
That's funny you say that, because immediately after putting the wheel on and leaning on the console I recognized that the lid in leather would really be a nice touch too, can source a crosstrek one with the orange stitch for not too much. Trying to take it easy on the spending on my month old car haha, but the shifter and lid are on my radar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts