5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2022 Impreza Sport Hatchback 5MT Ocean Blue (on order)
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the appointment to pick up my new Impreza on Monday 3/14 from Liberty Subaru in Emerson, NJ. I ordered it back in December. So far the dealership experience has been way above expectations. For anyone in the area, I worked with Brian Goon on the order.

Plans so far are stock with some basic quality of life stuff:
  • Rockford Fosgate speakers (6.5" woofers + tweeters up front, 6.5" coaxial in the rear)
  • LED lights (not the headlights for now)
  • PIAA horns (I don't like beeper horns, prefer snails)
  • front plate relocation
  • headlight protection film (I hate cloudy lights with a vengeance!)
I got an OEM RX-8 oil filter after doing some research about USDM vs. JDM OEM filters. Hopefully going to be doing basic maintenance myself on the car.

Delivery pics to follow!

· Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza sport hatchback manual
118 Posts
I've got the appointment to pick up my new Impreza on Monday 3/14 from Liberty Subaru in Emerson, NJ. I ordered it back in December. So far the dealership experience has been way above expectations. For anyone in the area, I worked with Brian Goon on the order.

Plans so far are stock with some basic quality of life stuff:
  • Rockford Fosgate speakers (6.5" woofers + tweeters up front, 6.5" coaxial in the rear)
  • LED lights (not the headlights for now)
  • PIAA horns (I don't like beeper horns, prefer snails)
  • front plate relocation
  • headlight protection film (I hate cloudy lights with a vengeance!)
I got an OEM RX-8 oil filter after doing some research about USDM vs. JDM OEM filters. Hopefully going to be doing basic maintenance myself on the car.

Delivery pics to follow!
Oh exciting! That ocean blue was my #1 pick but had no luck finding one so ended up with the #2 choice, red.

I am interested in trying out the Japanese filter on my next oil change. Do you have the p/n for that?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh exciting! That ocean blue was my #1 pick but had no luck finding one so ended up with the #2 choice, red.

I am interested in trying out the Japanese filter on my next oil change. Do you have the p/n for that?
Based on this analysis
I went with Mazda part N3R1-14-302, the OEM filter for the RX-8, which is made by the same manufacturer (Tokyo Roki) who makes the JDM Subaru filter.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

All went well taking delivery at Liberty. Per my request they left on as much of the protective film as they could. I wish I'd asked them not to screw in the front plate bracket 😖

Soooo nice to be driving a manual again. My car for the last 3 years was a 2019 Kia Forte LXS with the CVT, and while it was a valiant appliance, I never fully accepted the CVT.

It was starting to get dark by the time I arrived home, so I Invisible Glass'ed the windshield and mounted my dash cam and E-ZPass transponder. Hopefully in the next couple days I'll get around to some combination of washing and waxing, putting on my Manual Gearbox Preservation Society decal, installing LEDs and horns, Rain-X... speakers probably a little later.

· Registered
75 Posts
Looking forward to the pictures. I have the premium hatch with cvt. Started with the led headlights and fog lights, moved on to a 1.5” lift kit and 215/65R16 tires and my skid plates are waiting in the wings to be installed.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LED installation

Turn signals front & back, tail lights (red), backup lights, dome light, cargo area light
Did not yet do: license plate lights - couldn't easily get the lenses off and was running out of patience

Caveats: a lot of this plastic is very soft, I recommend using only plastic prying tools

Installation notes:

Front turn signals - for the right side, after popping the airbox apart, I was able to move it a bit and squeeze my hand(s) in to get the bulb holder out of the light module, and replace the bulb. Tight fit and I have medium-size hands.

The dome light replacement squeezed apart the factory contacts (friction-fit) more than the OEM bulb (turn in place to secure)

I'll see when I can get some night-time photos :}

Sources:
  • Underground Lighting
    • 7440/7443 Amber Turn Signal LED W/ Built in Resistors No Hyper Flash
    • 360-Degree Shine 5-SMD T10 Wedge Light LED Bulbs 158 168 175 194 2823 2825 (red) - tail
  • AUXITO
    • 2600 Lumens 7440 7443 LED Bulbs T20 7441 7444 LED Light Bulb for Backup Reverse Light Tail Brake Blinker Lights, 6000K Xenon White (backup)
    • AUXITO 194 LED Bulbs 168 175 2825 W5W T10 24-SMD 3014 Chipsets 6000K White for Car Dome Map Door Dash Instrument Courtesy License Plate Lights (cargo)
    • AUXITO 400 Lumens 1.25 inch 31MM DE3175 DE3021 Canbus Error Free Festoon LED Bulbs 3020 Chipsets for Interior Car License Plate Dome Map Door Courtesy Lights Xenon White, Pack of 2 (dome)

Turn signals, tails

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Automotive parking light Car Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood

Before/after:

Marker light function + flash:

Backup

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Tire

· Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
261 Posts
Did not yet do: license plate lights - couldn't easily get the lenses off and was running out of patience
It comes off different than you think. It does not slide, you push the cover then rotate slightly outwards, then wiggle it free. Its a bit tricky to describe, but I did mine today. It will not visibly move when you push it, think of it more like push then pull out. I rested my fingers on the trim above the lamp and used my thumb to push then pry outwards.

If that doesn't help, I can try to film myself doing it and see if it helps. YouTube didn't really show anything good, had to play with it a bit until I figured it out.

· Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza sport hatchback manual
118 Posts
View attachment 27398

All went well taking delivery at Liberty. Per my request they left on as much of the protective film as they could. I wish I'd asked them not to screw in the front plate bracket 😖

Soooo nice to be driving a manual again. My car for the last 3 years was a 2019 Kia Forte LXS with the CVT, and while it was a valiant appliance, I never fully accepted the CVT.

It was starting to get dark by the time I arrived home, so I Invisible Glass'ed the windshield and mounted my dash cam and E-ZPass transponder. Hopefully in the next couple days I'll get around to some combination of washing and waxing, putting on my Manual Gearbox Preservation Society decal, installing LEDs and horns, Rain-X... speakers probably a little later.
Oh it’s finally here! Congrats on receiving your new manual Impreza! I had the same happiness when I found my manual Impreza after owning an auto Golf for about 5 years.

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,747 Posts
I'm from Jersey and always change out the horns on all of my Subarus. I've done the hella supertones on one of my subarus before. I don't like the tone either. I either go compact air horn or trumpet (snail) I have a compact air horn on my kids Crosstrek that is really loud but you need a fair amount of space to mount it and a solid base to mount it to. I really tired in my Impreza but could not find a spot. I was using the Hella Trumpets like that but lately I've switched to these more compact Seineca snail style. Just as loud but gives a little more room.

Font Gadget Audio equipment Thumb Eyewear

Sound like this >>Click<<
Not very expensive either >>Link<<

I've installed two sets of these so far they have been holding up well.

The compact air horn sounds like this >>Click<< You really need to wire with a relay direct to the battery though, these take more power. They are not big for an air horn but harder to fit >>Link<<

I have one in the kids Crosstrek and one in my Miata.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts