·
Registered
'21 Sport Hatch CVT Ocean Blue Pearl
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah. Thanks for the information. I guess the standard 5-year cycle for the Impreza generations has been extended for one year. I truly do not know if this has happened before... Your astute guessing/ reasoning is probably the reason for the anomaly.

·
Registered
'21 Sport Hatch CVT Ocean Blue Pearl
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. Thanks for the information. I guess the standard 5-year cycle for the Impreza generations has been extended for one year. I truly do not know if this has happened before... Your astute guessing/ reasoning is probably the reason for the anomaly.
You may need this...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interesting. Maybe my use of the word 'anomaly' was confusing. My only point was to thank you for the information, and to agree that the reasons you have proposed for the one year extension of gen 5 Imps are probably accurate. I do not understand your response.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,293 Posts
I think you felt Byll's reply was sarcastic, however he was agreeing with your reasoning. I realize it's tricky to get someone's tone on the internet but let's give people the befenit of the doubt and play nice.

Reactions: zachavm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two things of note. First is that this was not COVID caused and existed before COVID happened. Second, you may want to settle in for a while as a full redesign is not scheduled until the 2024 MY so next year will be frustrating as well. I don't know why they are extending their usual 5 year cycle, but my best guess is because of the massive investment needed to transition to EV.

The source for this info is the slide that leaked August of last year. As you can see the Crosstrek gets delayed a year to line up with the Impreza like the Outback and legacy do. No mention of the Forester so it appears to be slipping at least a year too. We have had several things happen to confirm this slide now (Wilderness, no BMC for Ascent, and no FMC for Impreza) so I think we can say pretty strongly it was accurate when it was leaked. With COVID and supply issues I can't see anything on this getting moved forward. The Forester BMC and Wilderness was already moved back. Probably won't get that here in the US for 3-4 more months.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
402 Posts
Two things of note. First is that this was not COVID caused and existed before COVID happened. Second, you may want to settle in for a while as a full redesign is not scheduled until the 2024 MY so next year will be frustrating as well. I don't know why they are extending their usual 5 year cycle, but my best guess is because of the massive investment needed to transition to EV.

The source for this info is the slide that leaked August of last year. As you can see the Crosstrek gets delayed a year to line up with the Impreza like the Outback and legacy do. No mention of the Forester so it appears to be slipping at least a year too. We have had several things happen to confirm this slide now (Wilderness, no BMC for Ascent, and no FMC for Impreza) so I think we can say pretty strongly it was accurate when it was leaked. With COVID and supply issues I can't see anything on this getting moved forward. The Forester BMC and Wilderness was already moved back. Probably won't get that here in the US for 3-4 more months.
Great news for me! Lots of extra parts will be available for this car at junk yards in a few years and increase in aftermarket parts as well. Easy repairs + easy mods = win for 5th gen impreza owners.

Reactions: zachavm

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately that site is EXTREMELY untrustworthy. IMHO it is following the classic click bate business model. They make news about whatever they can just to drive view counts. when Subaru announces their monthly sales numbers that site will spend the next few days making articles about the individual numbers of each model.

As for its claim, if you read the article it is all conjecture. They are assuming that because the redesign was not announced this year that it will be next. The slide above is much more reliable. I've personally had it confirmed to me by people who should know. Now that just means it was accurate at the time it came out which was a year ago. However, if they were planning on releasing the redesign in 2023 (MY24) then there is no way it has been pushed up to 2022 (MY23) now. Not with all the COVID setbacks.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
140 Posts
As of now, we are still building the Impreza but will be stopping Impreza production at SIA and swapping it with the Crosstrek for the upcoming model change. So Impreza will again be built in Japan, but the Crosstrek with be built here in Indiana at SIA. USA sales are much heavier for the Crosstrek so it just makes more sense to build it here. If anything changes, I'll be happy to update, but expect another two years of Impreza without a major redesign. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just being selfish as I already am the proud owner of an SIA built beautiful 2017 Impreza sport ( thank you SIA - I am the second-CPO owner ) and the built quality is awesome !!! I hope they will cont to keep the 5MT option :)

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
140 Posts
Just being selfish as I already am the proud owner of an SIA built beautiful 2017 Impreza sport ( thank you SIA - I am the second-CPO owner ) and the built quality is awesome !!! I hope they will cont to keep the 5MT option :)
If Subaru follows the trend they've been doing, my guess is the 5MT is eliminated in the new body style. Less than 5% of all Impreza's built are manual in the USA. Just doesn't make practical sense anymore, and it breaks my heart. This is one of the reasons I bought my 21', because I was able to get the manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Me too !!! where else can you get an AWD manual no non sense affordable ( but perfect) car like this …. hoping for a long long long relationship with this wonderful Impreza……. I think it’s going to be the last sensible manual for allot of drivers out there :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
If Subaru follows the trend they've been doing, my guess is the 5MT is eliminated in the new body style. Less than 5% of all Impreza's built are manual in the USA. Just doesn't make practical sense anymore, and it breaks my heart. This is one of the reasons I bought my 21', because I was able to get the manual.
Glad I bought my manual Impreza, could be the last of its kind. And nice to see that I get to be a small portion of the 5%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts