5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"All New"???? I thought the Gen5 introduced the SGP (Subaru Global Platform) which was to be used for many years to come.... has the SGP already been replaced with something else?
The new CH2 (Impreza/Crosstrek) SHOULD still be on the SGP. I haven't heard anything otherwise, at least.

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
318 Posts
Car and Driver did provide some insight as the '24 Crosstrek has been revealed. The Impreza hatch is then expected to be similar.

Next Gen Subaru Impreza

Note the sedan model is being speculated to be cut, but nothing seems ironclad.

Edit: Here's some more photos from Jalopnik about the new Crosstrek. I rather like the exterior look on this new generation compared to the outgoing Crosstrek. The taillights look better, and the front end is more refined, I think.

Regarding the center display, I think that it'll be sorely missed having fine analog control for A/C but at least the volume/tune knobs remained, and temperature control remains. Though, if I remember correctly, the lower trim Outbacks with these large screens have separate displays for stereo/climate control. So I think it's reasonable to expect the Crosstrek to have a similar setup among its trim levels.

It's to be seen how that will change for the new Impreza. My only worry is the lack of clarification on the status of the 5/6spd manual transmission being offered on either car.

Jalopnik 2024 Crosstrek

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any reason why Subaru shifted from a G- prefix for the chassis to CH?
The prefix changes by model every 10 years or so. Currently, the Ouback/Legacy are GZ1, Ascent is TM3, Impreza/Crosstrek HK9. So they are actually going from HK to CH for the 2024 models. Keep in mind, this is how we identify each model within our plant. This may not be the same for the general public.

· Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spoiler alert, but it'll probably be identical to the 2024 Crosstrek. One of the features is it'll have the same big screen as the Outback and new Ascent and WRX - I'm not a fan of that.
If I had to guess, I would say no side cladding. Impreza isn't as rugged as the Crosstrek so I think it'll be a much cleaner looking car.

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
318 Posts
The prefix changes by model every 10 years or so. Currently, the Ouback/Legacy are GZ1, Ascent is TM3, Impreza/Crosstrek HK9. So they are actually going from HK to CH for the 2024 models. Keep in mind, this is how we identify each model within our plant. This may not be the same for the general public.
Ah, if it's internal that may be why - I was comparing the chassis code to the wikipedia chassis code that I remember reading.

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
318 Posts
I don't know, every year I've seen people dislike models until a couple years after release, then they're liked.

Myself I like the style of the new WRX as the idea is its still "rally inspired". My only disappointment is in the design of the taillights not matching the rest of Subaru's design.

· Registered
245 Posts
I don't know, every year I've seen people dislike models until a couple years after release, then they're liked.

Myself I like the style of the new WRX as the idea is its still "rally inspired". My only disappointment is in the design of the taillights not matching the rest of Subaru's design.
Never liked a ton of plastic junk on Subarus. I'd rather have a Legacy wagon over the Outback any day.

· Registered
329 Posts

They match the BRZ and the Civic, oh wait......

· Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
318 Posts
Sad to see the disappearance of the manual - but the styling, 2.5 upgrade, and interior updates seem pretty inline with the new Crosstrek and overall beneficial for most sales in the U.S.

I wonder how keeping base WRX models on the 6spd affects the lineup - as it and the BRZ are the only remaining manuals. With the Impreza now moved to only CVT offerings, where does that put the SPT (for those that don't know the Subaru Performance Transmission, an upgraded CVT put... currently... only in the new WRX GT)

Seeing that the new model keeps the same engine and only upgrades to the chassis, not what appears to be a wholly new chassis, swaps down the road? Mighty Car Mods did their extensive video on the Levorg - STI swap, and now that the entire lineup is on the Subaru GP, maybe new gen could accept a swap from the new WRX limiting factors aside?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts