5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well its here.. and its... something alright. key detail from the release is that it will be on the global platform... do we think that means i could take the front end and swap that shiii on my hatch??

im so excited this day has finally come

what are your thoughts on the new wrx?

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
Great....new BRZ looks like an Accord from behind....now the WRX looks like a Civic from the back....

·
Registered
'19 Impreza 5dr Sport
57 Posts
The new WRX looks like it was fathered from a Crosstrek. The seats look the same as the Impreza sports too which is disappointing. Was hoping for more side bolstering for a potential swap later on. May have to wait for what the STI gets. Maybe you could motor swap it into the Impreza... dunno. Not a huge fan of the looks to be honest.

·
Registered
'21 Sport Hatch CVT Ocean Blue Pearl
84 Posts
The new WRX looks like it was fathered from a Crosstrek. The seats look the same as the Impreza sports too which is disappointing. Was hoping for more side bolstering for a potential swap later on. May have to wait for what the STI gets. Maybe you could motor swap it into the Impreza... dunno. Not a huge fan of the looks to be honest.
There is a higher trim Recaro option that look really nice...
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Steering part

·
Registered
2018 Sport Hatch 5-Speed Manual
208 Posts
Doesn't look all that different than the previous generation, so that's good. Looks more like our generation Impreza, so that is good too. I don't like the plastic cladding around the wheel wells and I don't like the tail lights.

I'm looking forward to parts swapping possiblities in the future, and the possibility of a engine swap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well its here.. and its... something alright. key detail from the release is that it will be on the global platform... do we think that means i could take the front end and swap that shiii on my hatch??

im so excited this day has finally come

what are your thoughts on the new wrx?
2017 Impreza Sport hatchback here I'll keep mine. 22 WRX 👀🤢😬

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree💯. 2017 Impreza Sport hatchback. If the STI look like this WRX is a no go. Yeah a motor swap in the Impreza would be awesome

·
Registered
8 Posts
Doesn't look all that different than the previous generation, so that's good. Looks more like our generation Impreza, so that is good too. I don't like the plastic cladding around the wheel wells and I don't like the tail lights.

I'm looking forward to parts swapping possiblities in the future, and the possibility of a engine swap.
Agree on engine swap. 2.4 engine in my 2017 Impreza Sport hatchback. Hell yeah

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
If it were possible to do a swap I wonder what other components would need to be upgraded. Clutch, CVs, brakes, ECU?

·
Registered
2018 Sport Hatch 5-Speed Manual
208 Posts
ECU for the 2.4 for sure, I'm going to assume the transmission bell housings are different so that would be part of the swap. Custom CV's and driveshaft would be a safe assumption as well. As far as the brakes, a good set of pads would probably be enough.

With the level of integration of cars today, the biggest issue would be getting the gauge cluster and all the other sub systems to function correctly and not freak out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If my 18' Sport hatch had the power to back up the handling, I would absolutely LOVE the car. It would be so good. I miss our bugeye wagon WRX all the time.
Maybe in a year or so we can see if someone swap that 2.4 engine in 2017+ Impreza hatchbacks. I would sign up for that class in a heartbeat

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
If you get the car in a darker color the plastic cladding kinda blends in better, but that rear bumper though…Why?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you get the car in a darker color the plastic cladding kinda blends in better, but that rear bumper though…Why?
Agree on darker color but that clad though🤬. I will be patient with a possible engine swap in my 2017 Impreza Sport hatchback. If not the Golf R is looking real sexy down the line.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
81 Posts
Agree on darker color but that clad though🤬. I will be patient with a possible engine swap in my 2017 Impreza Sport hatchback. If not the Golf R is looking real sexy down the line.
If you've ever worked on a VW engine, be warned.... ::shivers::

·
Registered
'21 Sport Hatch CVT Ocean Blue Pearl
84 Posts
ECU for the 2.4 for sure, I'm going to assume the transmission bell housings are different so that would be part of the swap. Custom CV's and driveshaft would be a safe assumption as well. As far as the brakes, a good set of pads would probably be enough.

With the level of integration of cars today, the biggest issue would be getting the gauge cluster and all the other sub systems to function correctly and not freak out.
Yeah, I can see the solution almost being to flash the ECU or maybe even move components from the original Impreza ECU to make the inside cluster work with all the donor WRX parts. I have to imagine the difference in the screens available will be a pain to deal with. Even with the base WRX having the equivalent of 2 screens inside (I imagine it may be one large screen just split in 2), getting the apps to all work proper, display right, pull info proper, etc. will be a pain in the arse.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts