5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from Ottawa Ontario Canada! New member but also new owner of a 17' impreza sport 5Mt sedan.

Ill start off with the story of why I've purchased this car.
It all started in May when the transmission in my 02 saturn sl1 sedan went poof! After sending it to scrap i went to get my 2000 silverado checked out to have an axle bearing changed. A couple hours after dropping off the truck i get a call.. ''Sorry man we have to pull your truck off the road, the frame is broken in 3 spots''

So there i was, from having 2 vehicles to none within 2 days. Luckily my girlfriend and I had been shopping for a car and researching online for a little while now. We really wanted to get something AWD since we travel a lot, especially at night and often in winter. We really wanted an SUV but the price really drives up fast to get the top trims that have AWD. We ultimately decided that the new impreza was the best option and we actually went on a test drive 1 week prior to losing both vehicles.

What sold me on the car:
1- best priced AWD vehicle we could get our hands on
2- The test drive: We test drove a 5mt convenience(base) hatch during a nasty rain storm that required us having the wipers on full tilt the entire time... This seemed to make to salesman particularly happy, especially when he instructed us to take the on-ramp to the freeway. This particular on-ramp has a straight section followed by a sharp right hander onto the freeway. Approaching at 80kph (50mph) with my girlfriend driving he says ''people usually slow down here, don't, hold it at 80'' and as we turned the water covered corner without a sign of slipping or much effort at all from the car we were pretty well sold.. This corner would have launched both the saturn and the truck straight into the ditch on a good day.
3- The new interior. While waiting in the showroom i sat in most vehicles there and the new interior quality in the impreza is a major major improvement!! Even the 17 forester feels extra cheap compared to the impreza. Our friends 17' ford fusion, 16' escape and focus, 17' f-150 and most vehicles interiors we've sat in all feel cheap compared to our impreza.

Choosing a trim level and buying experience.
Our number 1 thing was we wanted the LED headlights for night travel. Thats why we went with the Sport, expecially after hitting a moose back in 2010 due to poor lighting.
I have to say i do regret not going for the Sport-Tech just for the rear spoiler.
Most dealerships around here either sell fully loaded imprezas or base imprezas so wanting a sport manual sedan we had to wait 3 weeks for one to get to the dealership. In the meantime they hooked us up with a 17 sport cvt hatch rental for the wait.

-What i love about the car
handling and quick steering is great
Fuel economy is awesome! especially for an AWD car, it's as good if not better than my little plastic saturn i had
7.5L/100km(31mpg) at 120kph(75mph)
6.5L/100km(36mpg) at 105kph (65mph)
8-9l/100km (26-29mpg) combined
9-10l/100km (23-26mpg)city
interior and infotainement system look and feel good
the view in this car is awesome, no blind spots, even for my 5'2'' girlfriend
telescopic and tilt steering :smile2:
clutch feel
subaru rumble (although quiet)

-a few dislikes and quirks
hill assist takes 2 seconds to release: If you go from holding the brake straight to trying to move forward the hill assist still has the brakes locked. this caused me to stall it a few times. I now release the brakes in advance, go straight to the firction point and feather it until i feel the brakes release.
Plugging in an apple product completely cancels and disactivates android auto. If i'm on android auto and my girlfriend plugs in her iphone it kicks me out of android auto and it can no longer be activated until she unplugs her phone.
POWER!! this thing honestly lacks a little bit of power, it has no torque under 3000rpm, i wish it had the brz powertrain atleast to make a few extra ponies
now that im at 4000km power does feel a little better and the economy is getting better.

the CVT rental that had 10000km felt faster so i only hope it will get there with time

A few plans for the car

weathertech mats before winter is a for sure must
mud guards/flaps, not sure if i want OEM or RA yet but we will see
i will for sure black out the silver edge and chrome trim in the front grill like the sport-tech, it looks so much better.
after putting winter tires on the 17'' wheels i plan on getting 18s for next summer
possibly a cold air intake to help it get some air
if i can get an exhaust system that wont drone at 3000rpm (the 5mt spins 3100 at 120kph or 75mph)

enjoy the few pictures of my 100% stock car in the next comment :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Now that's a great breakdown. The BRZ powertrain is pretty weak under 4200rpm though and there's a hug torque dip so I'm not too sure if you would want that ;)

Do you think you'd want to get a tune done, I'm sure that could wake it up for you?

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Awesome review! I know us Sport owners in the states wish LED headlights were a standard option along with fog lights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that's a great breakdown. The BRZ powertrain is pretty weak under 4200rpm though and there's a hug torque dip so I'm not too sure if you would want that ;)

Do you think you'd want to get a tune done, I'm sure that could wake it up for you?
We will see what kind of performance packages will come out in the next while, having somewhere around the 180hp+ range maybe even 200 would be alot of fun!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Great review and welcome to the forums! Definitely black out the trim on the front grille I did all but the chrome around the Subaru logo and I love how it looks. The chrome is just so ugly lol.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hill Assist

... -a few dislikes and quirks
hill assist takes 2 seconds to release: If you go from holding the brake straight to trying to move forward the hill assist still has the brakes locked. This caused me to stall it a few times. I now release the brakes in advance, go straight to the friction point and feather it until I feel the brakes release.
The Owner's Manual page 7-42 describes how to disable the "hill assist", which I did. The slight jerk the vehicle makes when the brake releases is annoying, & makes me look incompetent.

Reactions: Snewbaru

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definitely get the RA Mudflaps compared to OEM. They just give it more flavour. And definitely black out the grille!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts