5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean.. it's not really an update as to what's going on. But hey, it gives us something to read and look forward to :|

Posted by Automobilemag.com

1. Stiffness. Because of the new global modular architecture, the base Impreza is 70 percent stiffer than the car it replaces. Fans of fast driving know a stiff chassis means the engineers have more leeway to create a suspension that combines compliance with body control, enhancing both road-going comfort and at-the-limit performance. Couple that with the Impreza’s new interpretation of its “Sport” trim line, with 18-inch wheels and tires, a sport-tuned suspension, and torque vectoring tech borrowed from the WRX, and you have a recipe for a car that’s both affordable and fun.

2. Steering. All 2017 Impreza models also get a much quicker steering ratio, brought over from the BRZ sport coupe. Previous Imprezas offered a 16:1 ratio, while the new car’s ratio is a snappy 13:1.

3. Body roll. In part because of the enhanced stiffness of the chassis, but also thanks to the new suspension tune and a lower center of gravity, the new Impreza has 50 percent less body roll than the car it replaces.

4. Direct injection. While the BRZ uses a direct injection system borrowed from Lexus via its partnership with Toyota, the new Impreza gets a lighter, more compact system developed in-house by Subaru that helps achieve that lower center of gravity. It also gives Subaru a point of pride in the joint partnership with Toyota.

5. Technology. The new Impreza will arrive in the U.S. with standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as NFC connectivity, in its new infotainment system.
Full article posted by Automobile Mag : 5 Cool Facts About The 2017 Subaru Impreza - Automobile

·
Registered
308 Posts
2. Steering. All 2017 Impreza models also get a much quicker steering ratio, brought over from the BRZ sport coupe. Previous Imprezas offered a 16:1 ratio, while the new car’s ratio is a snappy 13:1.
This is what I am extremely happy to hear about. I think the steering in the BRZ is probably my most favourite feature. It is so responsive, nice and a little heavy. This is good news

·
Registered
6 Posts
Number 3: Body Roll.

That's a big thing for me. I like to take ramps a little spirited so to know that it'll hold nicely is crucial. That and 50% less body roll than the prior is really impressive. I'll probably still end up changing the suspension up anyhow however ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
While it may not be all that helpful to some of us which know far more and can easily dig deeper, tapping into what ever information we need, for those not anywhere near as knowledgeable about cars will find value in it. It's like someone giving you the key tidbits out of a book and directing your attention.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The people who are not knowledgeable about cars would really have no idea what the 5 key points are referring to. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't understand torque vectoring, steering ratios of any sort, heck probably even "body roll" would fly over the heads of the average lol. It's just throwing words and points that sound extremely interesting to people who haven't the clue of what they mean. But it sure sounds great ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Direct injection is great for power and efficiency but it does have a drawback, carbon build-up can occur over time in the intake valves and that reduces power. What can we do to stop this?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Isn't that an overkill? As great as it might be for those going to the track and looking to get the most out of the Impreza, it's way beyond what those looking to have fun on the street will consider.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It definitely is beyond what majority will think and/or want to do. But I just couldn't think of anything else to really keep things clean to be honest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Catch cans are more effective on some vehicles than they are on others. Definitely help keep the throttle body, manifolds, thus valves cleaner, and they can be quite cheap. You just have to make sure you buy a quality one with a baffle and what not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
considering the long term benefit, it's too cheap not to do, if anything there should be more shops recommending that people do these since there are many that don't even know where to start.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If shops start recommending catch-cans to people, it'll cut down some services they could potentially offer their customers which equals them losing money. In today's society, helping someone that results in you losing a little money = bad idea, throw em' under the bus.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's where the aftermarket comes in. They don't perform the annual maintenance so they really have nothing to lose in selling produces that reduces engine problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gotta love the aftermarket. But that's true. Regular maintenance shops won't tell you to invest in these things that'll save you a ton of money long-term. But it's always good to do some research and look into aftermarket suppliers to see what you could add to help prevent future issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found out by accident you can lock the car from the outside by pressing the door handle in where theres lines on the door handle. Thought id share.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If it's anything like the BRZ, then that makes sense. And if you stick your hand in between the handle and door, it unlocks. But it should only unlock the drivers side, you can change the setting inside of the car in order to have that movement unlock all of the doors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts