5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a hypothetical, how much of a possibility would it be to swap a 6psd into our cars? The Crosstrek has one and that’s essentially a lifted version of our vehicles right? I’m surprised Subaru didn’t but a 6spd in the sport version just to differentiate it between the base besides just doing a bigger set of brakes in the front.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can do anything with enough money.
That’s true with anything in life but I’m saying as a thought experiment. Knowing what we know about our cars and the crosstrek, would it be a simple swap mechanically? Software can be sorted out after the fact.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,187 Posts
That’s true with anything in life but I’m saying as a thought experiment. Knowing what we know about our cars and the crosstrek, would it be a simple swap mechanically? Software can be sorted out after the fact.
I guess that depends on what you consider to be a "simple" swap. I certainly could not do it but there are guys in my Subaru club who certainly could. In some countries the Sport model is offered with a stick so the parts are certainly out there and no doubt the body is shaped to be able to handle both transmissions. Talk to your Subie tech. at your dealer or even the parts department to see what it would entail.

Please keep us up to date as I don't believe that anyone here has done it yet.

·
Registered
59 Posts
While the Crosstrek has 6 speeds, the gear ratios fall pretty closely within the 5speeds range - 6th in a Crosstrek is .738 while 5th in an Impreza is .74

You would gain a "shorter" geared 1st, which might prevent clutch roast if tackling something steep... Crosstrek also has a shorter final drive (4.44) compared to the Impreza sports 3.70... apparently the Impreza base gets a 4.10... would be interesting to drag a sport vs base model.

The Crosstrek 6sp is also actuated with cable linkage vs the 5sp's rods.... the 5sp may feel sportier/more direct for this reason but I haven't personally tried a 6sp Crosstrek.

Crosstrek stats:
Impreza base stats:
Impreza sport stats:

·
Registered
7 Posts
All Impreza 5 MT models including Sport have the same fifth gear (.738) and final drive ratios (4.11). Final drive for the CVT model is 3.70. The Crosstrek 6MT has a .738 ratio sixth gear with a short 4.44 final drive. Clearly that’s designed for hauling power or rougher terrain use, but I imagine it would make for a buzzier engine at highway speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
Silver 2.0i 5D 5MT
6 Posts
Agreed... much prefer the 5speed. I've driven the crosstrek 6speed and its about the same RPM at highway speeds... not far off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agreed... much prefer the 5speed. I've driven the crosstrek 6speed and its about the same RPM at highway speeds... not far off.
Makes sense that highway RPM is about the same with the larger tire circumference on the Crosstrek. Accounts for the difference in final drive ratios between 6MT Crosstreks and 5MT Imprezas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts