5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone know of any complications switching from the smaller base radio in a 17 impreza to a '18 model 8" without navigation, the '18 model had xm, the 17 did not. I found a 8" with cd player in working order for 369 on ebay, and it just happens to be about a hour from me so not far to go get it either however I was wondering if it has to be unlocked, any specific wiring changes, or if it is essentially plug and play. Thank you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
there is alot more to the harmon kardon system then the radio. it also has like an entire computer under the passenger seat and different speakers. its worth a shot to see if the dude will let you try to install it to see if it plugs in.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have posted past threads on this.
You can replace the 6.5" with the 8" successfully. You have to make sure it's part 86201FL62A and NOT 86201FL63A, the later needing the Harmon kardon amplifier.
The install is plug and play, same wiring and harness connections. The only feature that doesn't work on my 8" conversion is the SXM, but I don't use satellite radio. If that's why you're converting for the satellite radio, you're going to be disappointed. Probably has to do with missing certain antennas. Everything else works fine.
Here's the thread: Replace the 6.5" Head Unit with the 8"

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't need satellite, but at 369 for the radio, vs a pioneer I looked at with the extras it seemed a better value. I have read many if the other threads but many have had vastly different experience with the swap. It was the only reason I started a new one. But thank you all the same.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't need satellite, but at 369 for the radio, vs a pioneer I looked at with the extras it seemed a better value. I have read many if the other threads but many have had vastly different experience with the swap. It was the only reason I started a new one. But thank you all the same.
Yeah, just make sure you have the right model, as I posted; otherwise, your audio controls won't function correctly.
Besides the larger screen, another bonus to the 8" version is the HD radio and the ability to pause live radio. Many stations that have HD capability will also have more than one station available to toggle through. The 8" version has this functionality, plus it shows a nice big icon for the station logo, when available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts