5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
try this, the fan switch push it in so a amber light is on. this closes the vents so the cold ac air won't mix with warn outside air. also set the direction of the air to come out the dash vents only.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
My AC at low speeds is pretty cold. I haven't noticed what you stated.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My initial impression was also thatcher AC is not that cold. But I have only done two drives so far. My other cars are an Outback and Insight. I will definitely need to drive some more before I conclude that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Test with a instant-read cooking thermometer

Anyone noticed that their AC just doesn't blow that cold? Especially at low speeds?
You should have a "instant read" cooking thermometer around - it's the best way to do that chicken and pork grilling ya know. Take an inexpensive one with the long needle probe (an analog dial might be best with your sunglasses on and batteries don't like the heat), stick it down in your active dash vent and go to max cold. After a few minutes driving at a reasonable speed, if your air temp is below, say 45-50 deg F (for here in PA) you have a very well functioning A/C unit. You may need to try the air recirculate button mentioned by skycomag to get that cold. If it is not cold enough then you have some objective observations to take to the dealer service folk and some way to verify they actually do the needed fix. Leave it on the dash sometime to get a real appreciation for how hot a parked car can get. This approach worked for me when I had to convince a mechanic with burnt out fingers (and a numb butt?) that my Mercury Montego heated seat did not work.

Mine seems ok, maybe not terrific, but I usually start out from a garage so I have a head-start on the heat. That's one reason I went with my first white car with the lighter tan interior for my hatchback - I'm thinking the A/C would try to cool even more area than the sedan. The lighter colors do seem to make a big difference when compared with my other car with its dark navy blue paint. Park in the sun and you can't touch the dark car exterior and the white Impreza will be much cooler. The low speeds would reduce the cooling airflow through the radiator-like condenser in the front of the car and would also let the car exterior surface get warmer too. What is your car's color? Do you have a lower level trim or are you dealing with an "automatic" climate control equipped model? A big uphill grade, with you using a lot of throttle, can cause the A/C compressor to disengage temporarily on most cars I hear. Not to be indelicate, but as an older guy many of my female contemporaries have had their own "hot-flashes" independent of any car or home temperature. Getting old is not for sissies.

The recirculate button mentioned by skycomag will make a big difference on a hot sunny day particularly when you are starting out with a hot hot hood and interior or stuck in slow slow traffic. If you are in Phoenix with that 120+ degree heat I saw on the news, stay under cover for the daylight hours! Thinking about Phoenix, just about every car I saw on a recent visit had some window tinting for dealing with the sun and the big windshield dash cover coated cardboard things for parking outside. High humidity can have a lot to do with your discomfort too (but probably not in Phoenix). Ever have to run your windshield wipers to keep the condensation from blocking your view forward? Here in western PA your window defrost vents can make it "sweat" like the tall glass of beer in a Bud commercial if you leave that defrost vent active.

Good luck and stay cool and don't forget the sunscreen and include an ice cold water thermos in the cup holder.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Get something like this, good thing to have.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Interdyn...ter-For-R-12-and-R-134A-Blister-Card/51538199

When it's 100+ outside, no AC feels cold enough. But also do you have the Auto version
of the AC, or the full manual version? I have the Auto and it was fine and cold, had to turn
it down a bit. But was only 85 or so outside.

The thermometer is really what will tell you what's going on short of going to the
dealer to check the Freon level.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yap, it is hot here in L.A too. And it did feel like the A/C couldn't cope with the heat. I got one of those pen thermometers from Harbor Freight. Stick it into the one of the outlets. It shows a constant 40 deg F.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine seems plenty strong. It was in the high 90s to a little above 100 last week and I was fine. I have the automatic climate control feature and I have it set to recirculate.

Occasionally, when it's blazing outside and my black car interior is really hot, I'll hit the Max AC button not long after I start up. That'll freeze me out in a minute.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have noticed that too. The air is not as cold in the first/second fan speed as it is in the third or higher. This is my first Subaru so I don't know if this normal??

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have noticed that too. The air is not as cold in the first/second fan speed as it is in the third or higher. This is my first Subaru so I don't know if this normal??
The A/C emits the same temperature regardless of fan speed. When turning the fan on high speed you feel the air much stronger, thus the feeling it is colder. just make sure you circulate the air inside the car and turn on max speed until you feel the car is colder, then lower the fan speed.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Anyone noticed that their AC just doesn't blow that cold? Especially at low speeds?
I have noticed with temp set all the way to cold & blowing on windshield & feet, without ac activated, its pretty cold for me. I haven't had to turn the AC on even on 100 degree days. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I first noticed this too. Was going to post then the AC started working as it should. The only thing I can chalk it up to is it wasn't fully not broken in. First time use, oils and Freon needed to mix thoroughly through the system. If that's a thing...AC break in? I don't know. It's working better than the first time I tried it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Have not heard of AC break in. With the AC on, acceleration can be pretty bad, but I guess it is a 4 cylinder after all.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Have not heard of AC break in. With the AC on, acceleration can be pretty bad, but I guess it is a 4 cylinder after all.
neither have I but I got no idea on why it wasn't as cold as it should of been on first use. It seems okay now. I haven't felt tremendous lag from the AC on acceleration. I think it's quite efficient. It's a small compressor.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's been high 80 odd degrees my my ac is set at 23degrees and still keeping up just fine
Checking it with guage it is down to 40 deg
If windows are closed and very hot inside
Drive with windows open for a while recirculated mode on, ac on to temp you want and hopefully it becomes cool
Now my friend with the WRX is down to 45- 50deg does not get that cold for him

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed this too in a test drive car. Apparently, the AC shuts off when flooring it :) so that explained why it was weak then. In my car, it does feel a little weak as if it needs recharging. Once on the highway, it improved after a while so there might be some load shedding to improve fuel economy at low speeds. So it does improve as the car is broken in end?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts