5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
they are located in the lower grille opening. you can see them if you get down there and look thru the black slats in the opening.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't understand why they're there in the first place. I thought they were supposed to improve fuel economy, but the numbers Subaru shows on its website doesn't reflect that. All trim levels get the same fuel economy, assuming you're comparing the same transmission type.

·
Registered
778 Posts
they allow more air to flow into the radiator when driving aggressively. they are not really there for fuel mileage. at least i wouldn't think that lil addition would add any mileage. if i am driving hard enough to have them open then i automatically assume my mileage is going down...

·
Registered
730 Posts
they allow more air to flow into the radiator when driving aggressively. they are not really there for fuel mileage. at least i wouldn't think that lil addition would add any mileage. if i am driving hard enough to have them open then i automatically assume my mileage is going down...
They supposedly allow more air to flow through the radiator fins to promote cooling but wouldn't it be better without the shutter system, like more air would flow constantly? Ford has these on most of their vehicles & quite frankly they are a pain in the butt to replace. Plus, they cost $670+ on the Ford Focus & $1800+ on the Escape. I don't think they improve MPG. I think it's just another part to replace when the vehicle is involved in a front end collision. Usually this part is not available aftermarket either so Subaru or whoever makes the big bucks :smile2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
They are actually there to improve fuel economy, they wouldn't make sense otherwise. I personally think they are one of those features that don't have much benefit to individual car owners as the gains are so small (kind of like auto engine start-stop), but bigger picture they make the numbers look good for the EPA.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Active Grill Shutters are there for fuel economy and not for aggressive driving air flow. It's actually the opposite of that.

"Up front, where the air meets the grille, all Legacy 2.5i models have an Active Grille Shutter below the bumper. At low speeds, this shutter is open for extra engine cooling. But at highway speeds, it closes, reducing aerodynamic drag and helping to increase highway fuel efficiency."
Subaru Drive - 2017 Subaru Legacy: Winning the Fuel Economy Challenge

·
Registered
778 Posts
They are actually there to improve fuel economy, they wouldn't make sense otherwise. I personally think they are one of those features that don't have much benefit to individual car owners as the gains are so small (kind of like auto engine start-stop), but bigger picture they make the numbers look good for the EPA.
you might be right, but open or closed i have not noticed a change in fuel mileage. only when my foot is on the floor...just saying.

Reactions: 1stsubie

·
Registered
308 Posts
So essentially.. if we remove the system, would the weight savings present more mileage AND better cooling and performance?

·
Registered
24 Posts
on the 17's which models are equipped with these shutters?
I have a 17 hatch premium.
thank you
In Canada all models except the base model have them, so I would guess your premium would have them as well. Hard to say for sure without looking though, as it doesn't list them on the US Subaru site under specs. On the Canadian site it's the first thing listed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So the active grille shutters are pretty much useless to the average driver unless you really want to find out and take the Impreza onto the track.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The active shutters serve two purposes. 1) They get remain closed initially to get the engine up to temp faster, which cAuses less emissions (once warm). 2) It gives a slight aero drag advantage for MPG.

Getting the engine to temp quicker is also better for the engine, lasting durability wise.

Both are really small benefits.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So the active grille shutters are pretty much useless to the average driver unless you really want to find out and take the Impreza onto the track.
What? As someone who's worked in motorsports professionally for 25 years, this made me laugh out loud.

The advantages are tiny and in start up emissions reduction due to warm up speed, as well as a tiny improvement in MPG. I currently work in IMSA, F1, DTM and PWC, and worked in Grand Am, ALMS and IndyCar in the past, and I've never seen a race car with a computer controlled louver system over the radiator.

This is street tech for the common Joe to help the aforementioned.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Sport's MPG numbers probably don't reflect the benefit of the active grill shutters because it also has the Active Torque Vectoring option, which hurts MPG. I'm sure the mileage would be even worse without the active grill shutters.
I feel like my city mpg is terrible because my trips are often under 2 miles, and the engine never gets up to temp - it spends so much fuel just heating itself and the exhaust system up. I've wondered how much a block heater would help - but since I don't drive daily, I'd be heating the block way more than I need to if just left plugged in all the time.

This is one of the reasons I was hoping to buy a hybrid this time - let the electric motor work harder during the warm-up phase. But, alas, the Kia Niro had awful road noise, and the Ford C-Max really didn't handle well and felt too much like a soulless mini-van with surprisingly little passenger space and this is probably the last model year of it. And the new Prius is disgusting. So, yet another ICE for me :-/

·
Registered
200 Posts
on the 17's which models are equipped with these shutters?
I have a 17 hatch premium.
thank you
Imprezasport21 post about active grill shutters is spot on

Skycomag Scooby's Impreza premium has all weather package and the active grill on mine does work (Canadian model)
Try this start the car give a min back it up a few feet in my case out of the garage
Shut car off and look at grill see if it's open
When I travelled to SOA the outside temp was above 80deg
Oil temp was 100-103 AC on
Every gas fill up the grill was open pointed towards oil pan :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts