5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you been averaging for city driving? What kind of driver would you say that you are? Difference between Sport (18" wheels) and Limited? I believe larger wheels would hit mileage a bit. Please post if manual or automatic. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
the difference between the 16 inch and 18 inch tires is 0.2" in diameter or 7 revolutions per mile. 17 to 18 is even closer, like exactly the same size based on the calculator i used. I assume this is so they dont need different speedometer/ecm calibrations based on wheel size. So i would say the tires themselves, the compound, tread, inflation levels, etc.. would be the larger factor than the actual wheel diameter.

But to answer your question, i have observed 22-25 city mpg with an auto premium with the 16" wheels. Thats not very percise since i have never hand calculated a tank of exclusively city driving, but based on the cars mpg computer thats what i got. given the 3-5% error in mileage the comp provides vs hand calculating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the difference between the 16 inch and 18 inch tires is 0.2" in diameter or 7 revolutions per mile. 17 to 18 is even closer, like exactly the same size based on the calculator i used. I assume this is so they dont need different speedometer/ecm calibrations based on wheel size. So i would say the tires themselves, the compound, tread, inflation levels, etc.. would be the larger factor than the actual wheel diameter.

But to answer your question, i have observed 22-25 city mpg with an auto premium with the 16" wheels. Thats not very percise since i have never hand calculated a tank of exclusively city driving, but based on the cars mpg computer thats what i got. given the 3-5% error in mileage the comp provides vs hand calculating.
What is surprising is how close the mileage on the sticker is compared to say an Outback and that car is so much larger and heavier. So I wonder if the real world driving for the Outback is very low (say low 20s or teens). I started my search with the Outback but then thought that I didn't really need that large of a car and the sticker price difference. Seems the 5-door Impreza would suit me fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
27 City
44 Highway Ideal conditions- 36 typical
Premium trim with Auto
California 60 degree weather
Computer calculated

I've consistently got these numbers for the following conditions:

City - 12 mile commute with computer showing an average speed of 20mpg

Highway - Flat, no wind, 70 mph on cruise with never having to slow down. Reading taken on a 10 mile stretch, both ways and averaged out. I've done that 4 times. In regular highway traffic having to slow down and speed up at times it drops down to 35-37.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I haven't even gone through a tank in my Sport yet. After my previous car, I've come to not trust the computer's MPG calculation - it always over-estimated compared to doing calculations. I highly recommend using Fuelly to track your mileage - its a great app! You can also see what other users of various vehicles/trim/years are getting on average.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is surprising is how close the mileage on the sticker is compared to say an Outback and that car is so much larger and heavier. So I wonder if the real world driving for the Outback is very low (say low 20s or teens). I started my search with the Outback but then thought that I didn't really need that large of a car and the sticker price difference. Seems the 5-door Impreza would suit me fine.
My actual mileage for a full tank was just above 34 mpg(comp said 1.5 mpg better). But this was in all sub freezing temps. My truck gets 16-17 when its that cold but when it warms up its between 20.0-21.0 on the same commute so i assume the actual mileage i will get will be around 40 or greater when it warms up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
After travelling 120miles or little over 200kms I was averaging 32.8mpg city and back roads.Very cold -7c or 21f brr.
Cars now has 641 miles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I just got back from a ski trip and finally filled up the tank. My MPG is looking rather terrible - 21mpg on my first tank, which was largely city or some stop/go windy road country driving.
Second tank, I got 27mpg pretty much exclusively highway. Granted, it was through mountains, but still - that's 9mpg less than the EPA estimate! So far, the trip computer estimate for the way back, entirely highway on I-79 was < 28mpg.
This is not very impressive. I may give it another tank or two, or ask the dealer to check it out when I take it in for the TSBs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Takes around 5,000 miles on a car before they are fully broken in, get their best gas mileage. However, a recent report said that some cars continue to get better gas mileage until around 15,000 miles.

I typically get about 2 more miles per gallon at 5,000 miles than I do around 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
While I could see break-in explaining maybe 1-2mpg gains over time, as you said, I sure would not expect 8mpg lower than EPA due to break-in! Like I said, I may give it another few tanks and see how warmer weather helps - but right now it doesn't look like I could get 35mpg if I were on a flat straight highway with a strong tailwind.

From the data (fairly limited) on Fuelly, it doesn't look like anybody has gotten a tank over 32mpg! 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport MPG - Actual MPG from 5 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport owners

·
Registered
2 Posts
getting 30-35 depending

We have already driven our Premium auto 5-door 6000 miles (mostly highway). I calculate mileage every fill up; calculator is 1.5 to 2 mpg optimistic consistently. Highway, mostly flat gives 34-35 at 70 mph, some 75 mph. City is high 20s, I estimate (no tank has been all city--we live in a rural area and mostly drive highway miles.) Best mileage was ~39mpg--long stretch with tail wind. YMMV.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 5mt sport model hatchback. It says I am getting 25.6 mpg and my actually mileage is about 27, so it is actually less optimistic about my mpg I donno, I also have only driven 1k miles

·
Registered
125 Posts
While I could see break-in explaining maybe 1-2mpg gains over time, as you said, I sure would not expect 8mpg lower than EPA due to break-in! Like I said, I may give it another few tanks and see how warmer weather helps - but right now it doesn't look like I could get 35mpg if I were on a flat straight highway with a strong tailwind.

From the data (fairly limited) on Fuelly, it doesn't look like anybody has gotten a tank over 32mpg! 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport MPG - Actual MPG from 5 2017 Subaru Impreza Sport owners
Why is there such a big difference between the sport and premium?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ive been averaging 27.2 roughly around town with the 5 speed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think I've gotten 26 at best city, but usually falls around 22-24 range. This is with the CVT.

I don't really use AC either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts