5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

Adapting a COBB short throw double adjustable shift lever

9K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  boomerz3580 
#1 ·
I previously installed the STI short throw shifter linkage in my base model (standard in the Sport package) and recently got a "good deal" on a used COBB double adjustable shift lever for a 5 speed. It was cheap enough that it was worth experimenting with. So time to start taking the interior apart. Mine has some non-standard AC hoses, but they didn't get in the way.

Removing the snap ring holding the shift lever bushing in place is a bit of a pain. I probably need a better snap ring pliers though.

So I setup the pivot length similar to the OEM lever, and the knob rod length at the marked location which is ~1.25" shorter.

But there was a problem. The ball end for this COBB lever is smaller than the OEM shift lever. So the fix is to make a custom nylon shift bushing.

It turns out that the body of this COBB unit is also 0.3" narrower across the width of the pivot bushing, so I ended up using the OEM shift bushing and making some spacers to keep it centered in the connecting link. The way it connects put the lever angled further aft, so I had to trim some insulation for clearance. I also cleaned up and repainted the knob rod prior to installation.

With all the workarounds, its does seem to work well now. I'll try it for a while and see how I like it. Initial driving felt pretty natural, even with the angled back position.

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't have a kartboy shift lever, but based upon them fitting the same cars I'm guessing that the parts I have would adapt one to this car too. Since they are made similar to the OEM lever, they might install more upright. I might have to keep my eye out for a deal on a used one.

#4 ·
I found a good deal on a Kartboy 2002 - 2007 WRX 5 speed shift lever. It has the same small size pivot ball as the COBB shift lever, so I used my custom pivot bushing for it too. The 4 levers I have are shown side by side. The base model lever and the Kartboy both have the same lower actuation shaft length. The Kartboy is just a shorter upper shaft for the knob. The Subaru STI short throw (what the Sport trim comes with) is both a shorter knob height than the base model and a longer actuation shaft length. Longer actuation shaft length means less knob movement for the same amount transmission linkage movement. Having a shorter knob height (like the Kartboy) accomplishes a similar effect.

I also added a shift boot retainer since the knob I use doesn't have one.

I ended up with a more natural knob location than I had with the COBB lever, and better feeling shift action. I definitely prefer the Kartboy lever.

#6 ·
I 3D printed a nylon basket bushing for the ball end to adapt it. Peaty recently did a kartboy shift lever install and got one with the larger ball end so he could reuse the existing basket bushing.

#8 · (Edited)
I haven't replaced the shift linkage mount bushings on mine yet. When I put in the Subaru short throw shifter I considered it, but decided to wait until they wear out since they were basically new.

If you need an adapter basket bushing to make a small pivot ball work, I think I printed a spare I could send you.

#9 ·
I've replaced the shifter bushings on a number of scoobies. The Front OEM one is relatively soft rubber compared to the Kartboy shift bushing. Replacing it gives a more positive feel. Here are a few pics. The pics are literally 20 years old but I suspect they haven't changed much at all. These were from my 99RS. The install is pretty simple but I'm going to wait till the spring :) Basically you undo a nut, slide the bushing off and then have to push it out of it's spot by pressing the edge against the stud it was on. It pops out then you put the KB bushings in. The only con is the NVH will go up a little as the bushings are hard and tend to transmit more sound (and feel) into the cabin through the linkage.

Auto part
Drawing Line art Sketch Auto part Diagram

#11 ·
Just picked up the sti shifter assembly, had a kartboy sts laying in my legacy gt that I just swapped in it and now about replace the bushings with the kartboy blue ones.
Did you only swap the linkage bushings or did you do both the linkage and the rear one as well?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.