5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the direct fit kit yesterday, it was pretty simple I have photos at this link but will add a few here too.

ADD W1 Catch Can install - 2019 Subaru Impreza <<Click Me for more pics

This is the one I got Subaru Impreza Baffled Oil Catch Can kit V3 2016-Up

The install was easy, the hardest part was tightening the hose clamp on the PCV valve. There isn't a lot of room under there. I tried a long Phillips screw driver but you can't really hold back on the hose clamp to get it tight. I used a 1/4" ratchet with a deep 7mm socket and 3" extension. Honestly I think spring clamps would be better here and I may switch to them eventually. We aren't talking high pressure here spring clamps would look better and be easier to work with. Speaking of hoses, I have to say I was really surprised how loose the OEM hose connection was on the PCV valve itself. It practically fell off it was so loose, I'm surprised it made any sort of seal and I bet it was leaking vacuum. My car only has 6,500 miles on it. Worth checking even if you don't install a catch can. I say throw a clamp on there. It was tighter up on the intake manifold.

I was a little concerned that the CC stuck up so high but there is plenty of clearance to the hood. I gently closed it and there were not indentations in the hood liner. I was also concerned at first that the bracket holding the CC would vibrate, being so long, but it's very secure. Having the hoses attached and secured to the Intake manifold like I do makes it pretty solid with minimal movement.

I got the drain valve kit accessory. I wasn't sure there would be enough room to unscrew and drop the can down to empty it. There is plenty of room though I don't think it's necessary. I installed it anyway, I may try to drain it in place. May be more trouble than it's worth I'll report back.

Questions or comments welcome. ~peaty 5-9-20

·
Registered
2019 Impreza 5 dr. auto, limited
38 Posts
Thanks, Peaty! Looks great!

Reactions: peaty

·
ModFather
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it came out a lot nicer than I expected. I considered routing the hoses under the intake but I think it would have put too much stress on the can fittings due to an awkward angle. As it sits it's very solid with little movement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, it'd work a lot better if the catch can was shorter overall, but it looks clean. Only way it could look more factory was if it came with the matching spring clamps. I wonder if it gets in the way of any of the aftermarket engine covers?

·
ModFather
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure I've seen any aftermarket covers,are there any? It does stick up a fair amount. I'm not crazy about the hose clamps either. I will be changing them out eventually.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know SSD makes one. I believe there are a few others.

·
ModFather
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've only started driving the car again the past few weeks, So at about 500 miles I've decided to take a look inside the CC. I have a balance at home and measured the oil at 4.1 grams. It seems to be all oil, which now has about 2K miles on it since the last oil change. Ambient temps have been on the high side. Morning drives to work about 78F with drives home at 95 - 98. About 60:40 highway to city driving. Speed limits here are 75 MPH typically driving 80. Not a lot of oil collected but not something I'd want in my system. Side note, don't bother getting the drain valve on the bottom. There is plenty of room to remove the catch can to drain it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thats a decent amount of oil. I am glad i installed the crawford aos. When i did the powerblocks at 30k i was surprised at how gunked out the intake manifold was. It looked like a oil burning toyota tercel with 200k in there.

·
Registered
2018 5D Standard Automatic
33 Posts
I didn't even know what a catch can was about 5 minutes ago, now I'm considering getting one.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I had to check it out too. Apparently the W1 can is on sale now, and then there is an additional 10% off. Hmmm....

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
129 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Impreza Sport Sedan - 5-Speed
27 Posts
Thanks, it came out a lot nicer than I expected. I considered routing the hoses under the intake but I think it would have put too much stress on the can fittings due to an awkward angle. As it sits it's very solid with little movement.
Nice install, very clean. I went with an Amazon can, keeping the cost low. Did the install the morning of the fourth, came out decent. I removed one of the plastic fasteners on the firewall and used that as my mounting location. I'm very curious to see how much oil I collect.
20200704_104430.jpg

·
ModFather
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks nice!

Reactions: 2017_Sport

·
Registered
2017 Impreza Sport Sedan - 5-Speed
27 Posts
Thanks, I have a tendency to keep my Subaru's for a very long time, so I hope this will be a very value added addition to the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone know about the likelihood of dealers raising a ruckus about the warranty if you install one of these things? I've been letting the one I ordered collect dust since I've got a visit scheduled for the 17th and I'm worried its presence might be a convenient excuse to not honor my warranty if anything came up in the future.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does anyone know about the likelihood of dealers raising a ruckus about the warranty if you install one of these things? I've been letting the one I ordered collect dust since I've got a visit scheduled for the 17th and I'm worried its presence might be a convenient excuse to not honor my warranty if anything came up in the future.
take it off before you go to the dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
take it off before you go to the dealer.
Finally installed mine today, not looking forward to doing that, the PCV valve is a bitch to attach a hose to. Also I lost the plastic fastener that attaches the intake pipe to the intake manifold, currently just have that tied together with some string until I can dig up a nut and bolt wide enough to secure them :T

·
Registered
129 Posts
Finally installed mine today, not looking forward to doing that, the PCV valve is a bitch to attach a hose to. Also I lost the plastic fastener that attaches the intake pipe to the intake manifold, currently just have that tied together with some string until I can dig up a nut and bolt wide enough to secure them :T
I've done it a bunch of times, it takes me less than 5 minutes. What I loathe to have to remove is the pitch mount and the muffler when I take it in for next recall and warranty work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've done it a bunch of times, it takes me less than 5 minutes. What I loathe to have to remove is the pitch mount and the muffler when I take it in for next recall and warranty work.
I just removed it after experiencing suspiciously low gas mileage at work, there are a few other suspects, but until I collect more data I'm going to play it safe. You were right though, it isn't nearly as much of a pain once you know the process.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just removed it after experiencing suspiciously low gas mileage at work, there are a few other suspects, but until I collect more data I'm going to play it safe. You were right though, it isn't nearly as much of a pain once you know the process.
That would be weird if the catch can is causing gas mileage. I had mine on for like 10k miles and have gotten up to 42 mpg on a 26 mile commute.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts