5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Got my boy a 2019 Impreza Limited. The vehicle was supposed to come fully loaded but in the rush to pick it up on his birthday (major pressure from the wife), didn't realize the car I had picked (the only white limited in all the Greater Houston dealers that week) wasn't fully loaded. It's missing one package: moonroof, premium sound, nav, and blind-spot detection. Anyway, the picky and tinkerer that I am, I got to download the service manual right away and pick the parts needed to add the missing features (less the moonroof, obviously :). The blind-spot detection (BSD) is a must, the others would be nice to have but not required. Finally, here are my questions (sorry for the long-winded introduction):

BSD:
1) It was a given I would need the 2 radar detectors for the inside of the rear bumper (left and right). I didn't realize until after I installed the radar units that both the left and right rear harnesses were missing the BSD wires and connectors. I had assumed the wiring harnesses were standard.
2) I got the new rear-right harness and it came with BSD, and to my surprise the power amplifier connections as well. Alright, that's progress!
3) Then, I got the wrong rear-left harness. It did come with BSD, but then I lost the Rear Automatic Braking (RAB) connector for the RAB module under the driver's seat. The supplier (subarusource) was quick to find the right replacement and get it in the mail for me. I should receive it in the next day or so. So far, so good!

HOWEVER, he made a comment, something I had totally overlooked. He said: "HOPEFULLY YOU WON'T NEED TO HAVE THE ECM RE-PROGRAMMED". 馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槰馃槰馃槰.

Therefore, I humbly ask you the Impreza gods: IS IT NAIVE TO ASSUME THE ECMs COME PROGRAMMED TO WORK FOR DIFFERENT PACKAGES??? and IF NOT, IS THERE A CHANCE IN HELL I CAN CONVINCE THE DEALER TO REPROGRAM MINE???

Thanks in advance for your time reading this long-winded email and replying.
Charlie

Registered
Got my boy a 2019 Impreza Limited. The vehicle was supposed to come fully loaded but in the rush to pick it up on his birthday (major pressure from the wife), didn't realize the car I had picked (the only white limited in all the Greater Houston dealers that week) wasn't fully loaded. It's missing one package: moonroof, premium sound, nav, and blind-spot detection. Anyway, the picky and tinkerer that I am, I got to download the service manual right away and pick the parts needed to add the missing features (less the moonroof, obviously :). The blind-spot detection (BSD) is a must, the others would be nice to have but not required. Finally, here are my questions (sorry for the long-winded introduction):

BSD:
1) It was a given I would need the 2 radar detectors for the inside of the rear bumper (left and right). I didn't realize until after I installed the radar units that both the left and right rear harnesses were missing the BSD wires and connectors. I had assumed the wiring harnesses were standard.
2) I got the new rear-right harness and it came with BSD, and to my surprise the power amplifier connections as well. Alright, that's progress!
3) Then, I got the wrong rear-left harness. It did come with BSD, but then I lost the Rear Automatic Braking (RAB) connector for the RAB module under the driver's seat. The supplier (subarusource) was quick to find the right replacement and get it in the mail for me. I should receive it in the next day or so. So far, so good!

HOWEVER, he made a comment, something I had totally overlooked. He said: "HOPEFULLY YOU WON'T NEED TO HAVE THE ECM RE-PROGRAMMED". 馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槺馃槰馃槰馃槰.

Therefore, I humbly ask you the Impreza gods: IS IT NAIVE TO ASSUME THE ECMs COME PROGRAMMED TO WORK FOR DIFFERENT PACKAGES??? and IF NOT, IS THERE A CHANCE IN HELL I CAN CONVINCE THE DEALER TO REPROGRAM MINE???

Thanks in advance for your time reading this long-winded email and replying.
Charlie
A lot of times even the dealer doesn't have access to those items. I haven't messed around with our Subarus becaue they are my wife's and sons. But one example would be my Ford Flex, a lot of people have added the OEM 2 inch hitch, but they can't activate trailer sway control, so techanically don't have a factory tow package. Even the dealers can't into the ECM to unlock that feature.

Registered
Yes, it is. No, you can't. Is it really worth another $3-4K when you can just use your eyes, like everybody has done for the last 100 years?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, TwoTone and Alex for your replies. Alex, I'm with you on this one, brother. The problem is the boy is 16, just got his driver's license and his mom is scared to death he's gonna run into someone with the brand new vehicle. As far as the costs, I spent $1,000 on the parts and should have it installed over the weekend. At this point, all I can do is to keep the fingers crossed and hope I didn't waste $1000. :eek:
By the way, it still blows my mind his car didn't come with it from the factory. His car has EyeSight with Rear Automatic Braking, Adaptive Cruise and Front Automatic Braking, and Lane Departure warning. Why in the world would Subaru engineers put the Blind Spot Detection (which is probably the oldest feature in there) in a different package than EyeSight? It doesn't make sense in my humble consumer opinion. Last time I looked, they corrected it in the 2020 model. Now all safety-related features are part of the same package.

Thanks again,
Charlie

Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
Not technically related but sort of. You have a new driver. There is a driving course put on by BMW /TireRack and the SCCA called Street Survival School. Best thing you can do for your kid, honestly I think everyone should have their kid go. Both mine have done it, learned a lot and actually had a good time. I do a lot of photography and volunteer to shoot the local events.

It's an all day training course that has a combination of class time (not a ton) and seat time with an instructor in their car. Don't confuse this with drivers ed or the local driving school. This is stuff you can use. I'm talking wet and dry skid pads forced ABS breaking and turning. Not a race school but practical knowledge. All in a safe place where the worse thing they will do is hit a few traffic cones.

Better than any blind spot detection or eyesite system. This is a non profit thing taught by volunteers that are SCCA people. They have them all over the country, you should look to see when the next local one is. This not only benefits your kid but everyone else on the road :)

a few links: https://streetsurvival.org/

more info.

https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/events_sponsorships/street_survival.html

Here are some pics I took when my youngest went in his 2001 Forester. We lucked out because they had it at a police training facility so instead of a wet skid pad set up with sprinklers and soap bubbles, they had an actual hydroplane pool with about 2-3inches of standing water.

Pics from the day to see what to expect:

Tire Rack Street Survival - Topeka, KS 11-3-18

Tire Rack Street Survival - Kansas City BMW CCA - 9-26-15 / by Pete Romano [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts