5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my Impreza Limited 2017, I opted out of buying fog lights for the car initially, Now it turns out they would probably be more helpful than I previously thought. I know that I can use subarugenuineparts's website to buy a kit, but do you guys think that it would be better to go through the dealer in terms of cost? The website offers a the full kit for $366.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
I would check with the dealer you bought the car from first. My dealer offers a discount on all parts if you bought the car from them. If not, then try eBay and Amazon. I got my sunshade from Amazon and it saved me like $20 and my all weather mats from the dealer and saved around $15.

·
Registered
730 Posts
When I purchased my Impreza Limited 2017, I opted out of buying fog lights for the car initially, Now it turns out they would probably be more helpful than I previously thought. I know that I can use subarugenuineparts's website to buy a kit, but do you guys think that it would be better to go through the dealer in terms of cost? The website offers a the full kit for $366.
Shop around for the best price because prices vary for accessories from dealer to dealer. Don't forget the shipping costs too. If your an amazon prime member & they list them for sale, you could save on the shipping.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That OLM kit would be a lot better too considering it has a glass lens in the front opposed to the plastic ones they come with now. Helpful hint, get those fog lights clear wrapped before you install em'. It'll save you from all the pitting and chips.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I just finished installing the OLM kit. It uses Subaru parts and basically is the Subaru kit, just for less money. The bumper covers with the holes for the fog lights are basically identical to the base model covers, just with the area cut open along a seam line. It would be easy to turn base model covers into the fog light covers.

One thing I found is that the car horn is accessible from the area next to the right fog light. Horn replacement might be next for me.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The 'build a car' tool on the Subaru website doesn't show the fog lights as an accessory that can be added during car build. One easy check to do would be to pop off the bumper close outs where the fog lights go and see it the harness connections are stowed / taped in place close by like they are for other trim levels. Or see if the harness connection to the existing lights might also be the right connection for a fog light H11 bulb. Can those existing bumper lights on the Sport trim be turned on/off?

·
Registered
730 Posts
The 'build a car' tool on the Subaru website doesn't show the fog lights as an accessory that can be added during car build. One easy check to do would be to pop off the bumper close outs where the fog lights go and see it the harness connections are stowed / taped in place close by like they are for other trim levels. Or see if the harness connection to the existing lights might also be the right connection for a fog light H11 bulb. Can those existing bumper lights on the Sport trim be turned on/off?
There is no on/off switch for the LED's unfortunately. I should have checked the fog light connections when I had the car on the lift Friday. It would have been easy access via the lower fender liners, but I wasn't thinking as per usual :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
860 Posts
That harness check doesn't need the car in the air, and the black cover with the LED light should pop off in a matter of seconds. A trim popper pry tool is pretty handy thing on this car.

The tricky part might be if there's no harness connection for the fog lights in the dash. The bulbs might plug in to the LED connector but then would be an always on type light when the car is on.

·
Registered
730 Posts
That harness check doesn't need the car in the air, and the black cover with the LED light should pop off in a matter of seconds. A trim popper pry tool is pretty handy thing on this car.

The tricky part might be if there's no harness connection for the fog lights in the dash. The bulbs might plug in to the LED connector but then would be an always on type light when the car is on.
I know but in the air would be easier just pull the clips on the fender liner & have a peep in there. I don't wanna go prying the cover knowing me I'll break it lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just finished installing the OLM kit. It uses Subaru parts and basically is the Subaru kit, just for less money. The bumper covers with the holes for the fog lights are basically identical to the base model covers, just with the area cut open along a seam line. It would be easy to turn base model covers into the fog light covers.

One thing I found is that the car horn is accessible from the area next to the right fog light. Horn replacement might be next for me.
any pictures of the final product?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes, I do have a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
After having had the fog lights for a couple of months now, I really don't like the position that the switch is designated to go in. I can't see the far right spot because the steering wheel blocks my view. So I moved it to the left side. Easy, right? Except that Subaru doesn't want it in that spot. There are side some tabs (C and D) that align the switch with the chosen location on the dash opening and prevent swapping. My solution is to use a needle nose pliers and remove the side tabs from the switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
pardon my ignorance, but it is possible to add OEM or OLM foglights to a 2018 Sport? I have the daytime running lights on mine and would very much like to upgrade these to foglights (or, at the very least, figure out a way to mod the running lights to stay on while the headlights are also on). And, again, i apologize if this has already been discussed somewhere on this forum

·
Registered
95 Posts
pardon my ignorance, but it is possible to add OEM or OLM foglights to a 2018 Sport? I have the daytime running lights on mine and would very much like to upgrade these to foglights (or, at the very least, figure out a way to mod the running lights to stay on while the headlights are also on). And, again, i apologize if this has already been discussed somewhere on this forum
OLM Complete OEM Style Fog Light Kit - 2017+ Impreza Sport

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks Haystack. It looks like it's pretty plug and play too. On the site it says "NOTE: For ease of installation and a clean install, there is no physical switch. This kit utilizes a relay and is triggered by the low beams. When your low beams are on, these fogs will illuminate." - do you think it would be hard to install a physical switch? I only ask b/c i'd like to drive around w/fogs and corner lights on (sans headlights).

those Morimoto LED fogs look pretty great too.

I REALLY dig the JDM driving lights/fogs though - Subaru JDM LED DRL Fog Light Bezels - 2017+ Impreza - i wonder if anyone here has any experience with these...or if they're even work w/the Sport model with minimal customization

1 - 20 of 40 Posts