5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all- I'm looking for an adhesive to re-attach the rear Subaru logo emblem to the back of my '19 wagon. I tried this but it corroded and destroyed the emblem and took out some of the paint on the hatch door underneath.

Looking for suggestions that someone has proven success with. Now I have to decide if I want to buy a whole new emblem or just get some vinyl overlays to cover the damage...

Here's a photo of the emblem after the glue destroyed it. That corroding pattern is coming from the backside as the adhesive ate away at it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
3M adhesive tape is safe on automotive paint and strong. There are multiple types, so choose the one for your application.

I consider anything with aromatic offgassing dangerous to plastic or paint.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3M adhesive tape is safe on automotive paint and strong. There are multiple types, so choose the one for your application.

I consider anything with aromatic offgassing dangerous to plastic or paint.
I mean do you have a specific suggestion too? I'm just nervous because what I bought already was a 3M product for my exact application and it failed pretty catastrophically.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've got a personal choice, but I have no reservations against using virtually any of 3M's double-sided adhesive tapes. 3M is used by most if not all OEM and JOEM manufacturers and it's usually the attachment tape provided with gadgets that are meant to be stuck up somewhere... I have some wifi cameras that came with some clearly marked 3M right on them.

Here is one I have bookmarked to add to my other tapes: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Double-Adhesive-VHB-Mounting/dp/B0784J9P3Q/ref=sr_1_13?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI06HFvObJ5AIVV_7jBx06igh8EAAYASAAEgLyf_D_BwE&hvadid=174294664024&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009145&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5138525335854138636&hvtargid=kwd-81853508&hydadcr=24659_9648993&keywords=3m+adhesive+tape&qid=1568240851&s=gateway&sr=8-13

The problem with liquid adhesives is the solvents in them. Once liquid adhesives dry you may as well call the bond permanent, because the parts will have been permanently affected. Adhesive tape doesn't use that kind of bonding. Liquid (or semi-liquid as comes out of a tube) solvents actually "melt" the paint and form another compound at their juncture, whereas the adhesion process in tapes relies on different principles to stick to surfaces. Its safety is why it is universally used for holding small things to other things... because it isn't permanent.

When I was in the Navy we used a glue, called Pliobond, to attach various plaques to the ship... the ONLY way to get them off was with an air chisel, and the process always removed some of the hull's aluminum. Talk about permanent. I've used Pliobond ever since when I needed a permanent bond. Some adhesives, especially modern epoxies, are incredibly strong... like the ones used in mines to hold the roof from falling. Adhesive tapes are not in that league.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a personal choice, but I have no reservations against using virtually any of 3M's double-sided adhesive tapes. 3M is used by most if not all OEM and JOEM manufacturers and it's usually the attachment tape provided with gadgets that are meant to be stuck up somewhere... I have some wifi cameras that came with some clearly marked 3M right on them.

Here is one I have bookmarked to add to my other tapes: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Double-Adhesive-VHB-Mounting/dp/B0784J9P3Q/ref=sr_1_13?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI06HFvObJ5AIVV_7jBx06igh8EAAYASAAEgLyf_D_BwE&hvadid=174294664024&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009145&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5138525335854138636&hvtargid=kwd-81853508&hydadcr=24659_9648993&keywords=3m+adhesive+tape&qid=1568240851&s=gateway&sr=8-13

The problem with liquid adhesives is the solvents in them. Once liquid adhesives dry you may as well call the bond permanent, because the parts will have been permanently affected. Adhesive tape doesn't use that kind of bonding. Liquid (or semi-liquid as comes out of a tube) solvents actually "melt" the paint and form another compound at their juncture, whereas the adhesion process in tapes relies on different principles to stick to surfaces. Its safety is why it is universally used for holding small things to other things... because it isn't permanent.

When I was in the Navy we used a glue, called Pliobond, to attach various plaques to the ship... the ONLY way to get them off was with an air chisel, and the process always removed some of the hull's aluminum. Talk about permanent. I've used Pliobond ever since when I needed a permanent bond. Some adhesives, especially modern epoxies, are incredibly strong... like the ones used in mines to hold the roof from falling. Adhesive tapes are not in that league.
Gotcha. Damn. Well, lesson learned I guess. Thanks for the link, too. I'll wait to see if the new emblem arrives with the tape pre-installed and I'll buy some if it isn't.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
375 Posts
why not just use an Anaerobic RTV?
Like silicone bathtub caulk? Yep. I've used it many times... in the right place for the right job.

But handling such things is a nightmare of messy kid OMG. It gets everywhere. I used it once to put a quarter window back in its frame. It's used on skyscrapers to hold those giant windows in place.

But on a moulding, even using transparent, you'll have it where you don't want it and you'll never get it all off. On the emblem, It would work. Done super right. Just don't expect to ever get it off again. You will need to destroy the emblem... and then you'll never get the silicone off.

The proper 3M tape, good cleaning, prep, and alignment, and it's trouble free, clean and easy. That's why the manu's do it that way.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Silicone bath caulk? Yeah..that wouldn't be good.
I was referring to an RTV silicone or "gasket maker". Permatex makes a few lines. Once you pull the part off one could use the gasket remover and a plastic spatula to remove without marring the paint.
One would not need much, a few tear drops at compass points at most.

For getting the proper resolution in dispensing of such product:

Bathroom caulk is acetic-cure silicone, it needs to evaporate to cure. An anaerobic RTV silicone can cure in the absence of air. Typically cures under pressure, (part adhered)

Indeed
good thin foam tape will also work, following temperature guidlines when adhering. I recall using dental floss once to remove some raised emblems years ago. Those were put on with a foam tape and was able to cut through the backing with the floss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts