5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I upgraded to BC Racing coilovers a few thousand miles ago, I've been getting a clunking noise on the front right side when turning sharply to the right and backing up into my driveway. I get this noise every time.

I can't figure out if it's the CV Axle that is bad (I have a new one I was planning on installing today), or if it's the end links on the sway bar.

I left the ride height stock, maybe just slightly higher if anything. I live in SF and the roads are bad, hilly, and just bumps and stuff everywhere, so scrapping is already a problem at stock ride height.

As a result, the sway bar is now at a different angle than stock. The front end link mounting spot on the coilovers is too high compared to stock suspension. So the whole end link swings back and up higher than stock (end links are too short for the same sway bar angle).

Has anyone else who did coilovers find they need adjustable sway bar end links? And if so, got any links? I can't seem to find anything for our cars specifically. Megan racing and Hardline racing make a lot of other suspension parts for our cars, but no sway bar end links.

·
Registered
2018 Impreza Sport CVT
83 Posts
More then likely end links a clunking while turning is a common thing for end links. OEM ones should be fine and they shouldn't be aren't that expensive 35-50$ depending where you get them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Funny that I just seen this post. I literally encountered this issue 2 days ago from today 7/31/22. Turning gives me some clunking noise and I haven't diagnosed it yet. I have H&R Lowering Springs installed and I haven't had any issues with noises until now. Its been about a year now since install. Should I just buy new sway bar end links?

·
Registered
2018 Impreza Limited
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny that I just seen this post. I literally encountered this issue 2 days ago from today 7/31/22. Turning gives me some clunking noise and I haven't diagnosed it yet. I have H&R Lowering Springs installed and I haven't had any issues with noises until now. Its been about a year now since install. Should I just buy new sway bar end links?
I need to measure the angle of the sway bar with stock end links.

Ideally, after market end links that are longer to get the right angle should fix it. I think the end links clunk because the angle of the joints when turning is much sharper than stock due to the links being too short now. I fell like new oem end links aren't the real solution here.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
711 Posts
I used crosstrek endlinks on my 2" lift. Been hearing a clunk from the back on some turns but figured it was from my hitch. Gonna have to double check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts