5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my '17 Impreza Sport into the dealer yesterday, and they performed two additional recalls, one for the brake hose swelling, and another was an update for the head unit.

When I first got my Impreza, the sound system was great. I always had my EQ with the bass set to 0, because it was always more than enough bass for me personally.

After the dealer installed the update and I drove the car off the dealer lot yesterday, I immediately noticed that the sound system sounded "tinny." Absolutely no low end, and it sounded like a sound system from a car from the 90s. I knew something was off, and I tried changing the EQ settings to figure it out. Now, I have to set the bass all the way to +9 just to even get some "decent" low-end from the sound system, although I know it's still off.

I wasn't the only one to notice - my wife also said that the sound system doesn't sound full anymore. I just came back from the dealer, and they had two techs take a look and agreed that the update did something to the overall sound system. I'll be bringing the vehicle back next week, as they want to go over things with Subaru Technical Support, and need more time with the car.

Has anyone noticed anything like this happen to them after a head unit update? I scoured the internet and found only one other person who seems to have experienced the same thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/subaru/comments/btqu2z

·
Super Moderator
1,797 Posts
Hey Ken, I think I read someone saying that this happened to them as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,797 Posts
Silly question; did you go into your settings and bump up the low end?

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is the source of the music you're playing? (Apple CarPlay, CD, Radio?) I find that with Apple CarPlay I need to turn "Sound Check" Off in my iPhone's "Music" Settings or else the audio sounds very weak.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What is the source of the music you're playing? (Apple CarPlay, CD, Radio?) I find that with Apple CarPlay I need to turn "Sound Check" Off in my iPhone's "Music" Settings or else the audio sounds very weak.
I also noticed that streamed music is noticeably quieter than cds or the radio for sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can't say I've ever put a CD in mine, but I do notice sometimes that Bluetooth playback is a bit quieter/not as full on the low end as when I plug in with Android Auto

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally was able to figure it out: had to go to settings and click the "Restore Factory Data" function.

Didn't change the software version of the head unit, but I guess it just reset the entire system.

It definitely wasn't affected by the source (CD, bluetooth, etc) because the low-end had disappeared almost entirely from any source. Doing the factory data reset seemed to work out whatever bug happened during the recall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for this post. I had mine updated to 19.12.20 a few weeks ago. Same thing happened. I actually didn’t notice right away. I was listening to some different stuff so just thought it was that. Did a factory reset yesterday and the bass is back. I told my service rep about this. Not sure if he will pass it on to the technicians.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts