5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Impreza Limited 5-door, Dark Blue with Ivory Leather.
97 Posts
I live in the northern part of the Sacramento Valley, and temperatures are in the upper 90s to low 100s most days in the summer. The AC in the impreza just does not seem to be cutting it.

...my impreza is black, so I know that’s contributing to my discomfort, as well as the moonroof I didn’t use to have.

Any suggestions? Anyone else not satisfied with their AC performance?

It has been over 90 and humid for five or six days now in NE Ohio, so our AC has been subjected to a pretty strenuous test. Overall, we are satisfied with the AC's performance. However, its ability to cool the car is limited by two factors. First, there is a lot of glass area for the sun to shine through. Second, the interior is black, so after being parked in the sun for awhile, the interior temperature is somewhere north of 140F. Even running at full blast, it takes 15-20 minutes before there is a significant reduction in temperature. Shortly after that, the car becomes quite cool and comfortable. After a half hour, it even has to be turned down because it gets too cold.

Good luck in CA. Hope you get some relief! Peace... Mack

·
Registered
388 Posts
I rarely use AC (perhaps 2 times annually) The other day it was 97 outside so I decided to turn on the AC to see how it works.

Within 10 minutes, my wife asked me to turn off the AC because she was getting cold.... hence, for me, the AC works OK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah I would say I have to agree with all the above posts. I did check for obstructions in the condenser, but I did not check the evaporator. If I’m not mistaken, the evaporator would be somewhere behind the glove compartment, right? I’m not sure I want to tear apart my dashboard just yet.

I do have to run the fan on full blast to stay anywhere near comfortable, but if I’m driving on the highway for over 20-30 minutes (which isn’t often for me), it will cool down sufficiently enough for me to then the fan down.

The apartment I just moved to comes with a covered carport, and oh man does that make a difference. It’s only been in the upper 80s to mid 90s the last several days, so I’ll keep watching the temps, but already it’s such a huge difference not having a dashboard that is so hot you can barely touch it when you get in your car.

The other thought I had was moonroof vs no moonroof. I imagine the models without a moonroof are better insulated as a result, but I wonder if it makes enough of a difference to notice. Even with the moonroof cover closed, I think there’s some extra solar energy causing additional heat there.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I really appreciate having some other owners to compare to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A suggestion from living in Arizona...if your car has a moonroof, when first entering the car and it is real warm inside, turn on the AC, open the moonroof and the driver's window (or all windows) and after about 1 min close everything up. This lets LOTS of hot air out of the car so the AC doesn't have to remove that heated air. It really helps.

·
Registered
295 Posts
A suggestion from living in Arizona...if your car has a moonroof, when first entering the car and it is real warm inside, turn on the AC, open the moonroof and the driver's window (or all windows) and after about 1 min close everything up. This lets LOTS of hot air out of the car so the AC doesn't have to remove that heated air. It really helps.
This is a GREAT idea that I had not thought of

·
Registered
388 Posts
This is a GREAT idea that I had not thought of

REALLY? You never thought of this???

It has been common-knowledge for MANY years to open all the windows for the first mile or so to purge the bulk of the heat from the interior of the vehicle whilst the AC-system is pressurizing and starting move heat from the evaporator.

In other words, it is a waste of gasoline to force the AC system to try to move all that additional heat from the vehicle. It makes more sense to open the windows until the interior temperature of the vehicle has dropped down to ambient.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I remember getting my first Subaru, it was a WRX GC8, it was at that moment that I fell in love with Subaru cars. There is something mesmerizing about them like a samurai with wheels fulfilled with honor, strength and speed. I still have the car and try to maintain it in a good condition. I take it from time to time on drives along the beach, that sound of hers really pleases my ears. Not too long ago I had AC related issues and in order not to spoil anything I took to aircon servicing so they took a look and i didn't spoil anything.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
179 Posts
Since we are on the topic of aircon ventilators, has anyone has similar issues about ductless aircon units as described in this blog post?
I have a contact here that could help. This site has articles that might help you fix your aircon.
I always engage my local aircon service repairman for any services.
I still think that the true blue old aircon units are more reliable and feasible. It may be troublesome at times but with the right person to contact for aircon servicing, I think it saves quite the hassle
Sorry to hear that. It's never a pleasant experience with the aircon underperforming. Had an experience like that in my first vehicle and I got referred by the workshop to send it for aircon servicing. Thankfully, it was money well spent. I got my cool air back. :)
You might have some luck contacting this aircon services website. I managed to get my aircon repair parts from them.
How is the duct work coming along? Was curious to find out if the problems are similar to what this blog post mentioned.
Could it be the aircon evaportator coils?
This is what happens when you hire a shit SEO company. They go and spam forums with links to your website instead of doing anything productive.

F U

Reactions: longboy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reflective window shade will help a lot if parked outside in sun. Live in north Texas (hot and humid) and ac will cool it down after a few minutes of venting hot air via open windows.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
179 Posts
21 - 31 of 31 Posts