5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced the dashboard airbag warning light coming on while driving? Mine has done it a few times in the past couple weeks. It's coming and going -- it will occasionally come on while I'm driving and stay on until I restart the car. Then I won't see it for a few days, but it will randomly pop back on.

I have a service appointment on Friday for this, as well as the second recall and recurring radio/carplay/audio issues (after first recall's software update). Just wondering if I'm the only one on this.

Also - another dashboard light question if anyone knows. I have the base model hatchback. There are no dashboard indicators for my headlights (or rather, I can see that they exist on the dash, but they don't light up when I have my lights on, except my brights). Is this typical? Not sure if it's another technical issue or if it's just a feature that's not included in the base model. My driver's door lock/unlock icons don't illuminate either, although the window control icons do. These seem like such simple things I'm wondering why they aren't happening.

Thanks!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Has anyone else experienced the dashboard airbag warning light coming on while driving? Mine has done it a few times in the past couple weeks. It's coming and going -- it will occasionally come on while I'm driving and stay on until I restart the car. Then I won't see it for a few days, but it will randomly pop back on.

I have a service appointment on Friday for this, as well as the second recall and recurring radio/carplay/audio issues (after first recall's software update). Just wondering if I'm the only one on this.

Also - another dashboard light question if anyone knows. I have the base model hatchback. There are no dashboard indicators for my headlights (or rather, I can see that they exist on the dash, but they don't light up when I have my lights on, except my brights). Is this typical? Not sure if it's another technical issue or if it's just a feature that's not included in the base model. My driver's door lock/unlock icons don't illuminate either, although the window control icons do. These seem like such simple things I'm wondering why they aren't happening.

Thanks!
Sorry to hear your having this issue. On most vehicles, under the front seats there is airbag connections. Have you had the interior detailed recently or had the front seats removed for cleaning? If the airbag connections get disconnected & reconnected on some vehicles, the airbag light will illuminate. Regarding your headlights, I doubt this feature is equipped with the base model.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, ok. I haven't had any detailing or moved the seats. My son does have a bunch of sticks and other junk rolling around in the back seat -- that's all I can think of that may have gotten under there and bumped something.

And bummer on the headlight indicator! Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Airbag lights scare the life out of me just for fear that it's a malfunction and it's going to pop in my face one day. I would definitely get it to them as soon as you can

·
Registered
730 Posts
Airbag lights scare the life out of me just for fear that it's a malfunction and it's going to pop in my face one day. I would definitely get it to them as soon as you can
Yeah these days with the Takata recalls, anything can be expected from the airbags, but usually they shouldn't pop unless there is damage to the front of the vehicle or if you drive over large rocks lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Took my car in this morning for the airbag light issue, along with the radio station presets dropping out and the latest recall. On the airbag, the service dept called main Subaru while I was there and apparently I am not the only one this is happening to. At this time Subaru *thinks* is related to something electrical - but the issue is so new they are not sure how extensive it is yet. They are working on a fix at Subaru. This could be involved in all the other head unit weirdness as well.

Because the airbag is potentially involved, the dealership kept my car and gave me a '17 Forester as a loaner for the time being until Subaru figures it out. No time estimate at this point -- could be weeks or months.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Took my car in this morning for the airbag light issue, along with the radio station presets dropping out and the latest recall. On the airbag, the service dept called main Subaru while I was there and apparently I am not the only one this is happening to. At this time Subaru *thinks* is related to something electrical - but the issue is so new they are not sure how extensive it is yet. They are working on a fix at Subaru. This could be involved in all the other head unit weirdness as well.

Because the airbag is potentially involved, the dealership kept my car and gave me a '17 Forester as a loaner for the time being until Subaru figures it out. No time estimate at this point -- could be weeks or months.
That sucks but sounds similar to the issue I'm having with the cruise control light flashing. Subaru US apparently have no idea what the issue is with it. Hopefully they'll figure out a fix for you soon but enjoy the Forester :wink2:

·
Registered
357 Posts
+1 on the air bag issue. It popped up yesterday, it was the hottest day the car has seen so far. +90 degrees F. Perhaps a heat issue?
Who knows. This is while driving. It cleared itself for the next drive though.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1stsubie, I was also thinking your CC issue might be part of the same problem. The Forster is tight but I feel like I'm driving a tank compared to my Impreza!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem - before the dealership called Subaru about it, I felt like they just thought I hallucinated it since the light wasn't on when they looked.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1 on the air bag issue. It popped up yesterday, it was the hottest day the car has seen so far. +90 degrees F. Perhaps a heat issue?
Who knows. This is while driving. It cleared itself for the next drive though.

Actually yes, it was REALLY hot the days last week the airbag light came on, definitely upper 80s here. Thanks for taking a pic!

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Hmm this is very strange. Around the same time the airbag light in my gf's '14 Crosstrek also came on. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but odd that it happened the same time. We thought it was because the moonroof was left open during a rainstorm, but who knows maybe it's all related. It hasn't turned on since.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm this is very strange. Around the same time the airbag light in my gf's '14 Crosstrek also came on. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but odd that it happened the same time. We thought it was because the moonroof was left open during a rainstorm, but who knows maybe it's all related. It hasn't turned on since.
The dealership did tell me that the light can come on if the sensor gets wet - even if you just spill some liquid on the seat. Maybe it was the rain but worth getting it checked out just to be sure.

·
Registered
730 Posts
1stsubie, I was also thinking your CC issue might be part of the same problem. The Forster is tight but I feel like I'm driving a tank compared to my Impreza!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem - before the dealership called Subaru about it, I felt like they just thought I hallucinated it since the light wasn't on when they looked.
Anything is possible. Someone did mention that they had the brake light switch replaced & this solved the CC issue. I feel like there is way too much electronics in this generation like there's been so many issues so far like what's next. Does anyone know if the previous generation had this many issues?

·
Registered
121 Posts
about the headlight on a 5 dr hatch, I have a premium an no headlight icon, that lights up .
manual says only if equipped.

I have a thread stated about this. so far no-one has said they have this feature.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anything is possible. Someone did mention that they had the brake light switch replaced & this solved the CC issue. I feel like there is way too much electronics in this generation like there's been so many issues so far like what's next. Does anyone know if the previous generation had this many issues?
I had a 2015 Impreza and had zero issues. Not one. It was a lease and I was *way* over miles, so I decided to trade it in early for the 2017 (which I purchased rather than leasing) after reading about how amazing the new version was supposed to be. Figured if I was planning to keep the car for 10+ years I should upgrade. I'm pretty sad about that decision now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had a 2015 Impreza and had zero issues. Not one. It was a lease and I was *way* over miles, so I decided to trade it in early for the 2017 (which I purchased rather than leasing) after reading about how amazing the new version was supposed to be. Figured if I was planning to keep the car for 10+ years I should upgrade. I'm pretty sad about that decision now.
The previous generation didn't have as much features at the current one does & this is a new release, so I guess we are the "guiney pigs" for Subaru to work out all the kinks for the upcoming release of the 2018 Crosstrek. A $150 certificate isn't enough for all the headaches we have endured though. I would appreciate a little more than that, if I'm being honest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The previous generation didn't have as much features at the current one does & this is a new release, so I guess we are the "guiney pigs" for Subaru to work out all the kinks for the upcoming release of the 2018 Crosstrek. A $150 certificate isn't enough for all the headaches we have endured though. I would appreciate a little more than that, if I'm being honest.
Totally agree. I actually told the dealership I felt like a guinea pig on Friday! They keep trying to assure me it's the best car Subaru has ever built and I will love it so much when they get the bugs worked out. Kinda feel like that should have happened before they sold it, but what do I know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update after dealership visit for the airbag light - They replaced the console, which they said would fix the airbag light issue. I haven't seen it come on again yet, but I'm keeping an eye out. They also told me the radio issues (CarPlay not always connecting, radio presets dropping out weekly) was not something that could be fixed now. They are working on another software update and said it should be ready at the end of June.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was told my airbag light was due to a failed console/overhead indicator setup. Was told it's on national backorder and 6 to 8 weeks before it comes in(same for new head unit both needed at under 500 miles....). Is that the console replaced on yours? If so I have an angry phone call to make, as I'm already three weeks into the wait ?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts