5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Impreza Sport Hatchback
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having issues with my Android Auto since I purchased the car.

Sometimes it works perfectly and then out of nowhere, it will just stop and I have to unplug it and plug it back in to start again.

Then the last 2 days, it is not even picking up that my phone is connected.

I did read something about Google doing away with Android Auto but not sure if that is the issue or something else.

Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
164 Posts
I've also had this issue. Restarting my phone fixed it more often than restarting the car, but I've only had it happen once or twice where it was the car's fault. 9/10 it's been that me phone (Pixel 6) needs to restart.

It also helps to ensure that your phone and head unit are both up to date. Not always, but still good to check.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
166 Posts
have that issue with my Iphone 12. Unplugging, replugging, and even restarting the phone doesn't fix it. Restarting the head unit doesn't do it either. Only when I restart the whole car does it start working again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have the issue once in a while but since I switched to using an anker cable I have it a lot less. I also have the latest HU update via wifi which I think was last year sometime and I keep my phone and AA up to date.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
166 Posts
+1 on anker. They make good cables. Will say that I have used other store brand generic cables (e.g. dynex or cheap fry’s cables) in the past and have had issues more frequently.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Most problems with AA are quickly cured by purchasing a better phone.

have that issue with my Iphone 12. Unplugging, replugging, and even restarting the phone doesn't fix it. Restarting the head unit doesn't do it either. Only when I restart the whole car does it start working again.
I think I know what your problem is: ANDROID Auto is designed to work with ANDROID phones, not Apple phones. You need Apple Play, a completely different program.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
166 Posts
Most problems with AA are quickly cured by purchasing a better phone.

I think I know what your problem is: ANDROID Auto is designed to work with ANDROID phones, not Apple phones. You need Apple Play, a completely different program.
OMG you are so right! I made the switch to Apple last gen from a Pixel 5 and regret it. I'm so used to Android Auto that using Carplay is kinda weird and unintuitive to me.

·
Registered
2022 Sport 5-Door
164 Posts
OMG you are so right! I made the switch to Apple last gen from a Pixel 5 and regret it. I'm so used to Android Auto that using Carplay is kinda weird and unintuitive to me.
CarPlay with all its quirks has been quite odd with it's functions, though I will say, the home screen on CarPlay is better than the home screen of AA, due to the media controls being able to be showcased right with directions, and album art (I'm odd and love having album art be showcased - I know what is playing based on the album more than reading the track.)

·
Registered
2019 Base Hatchback
16 Posts

Sometimes it works perfectly and then out of nowhere, it will just stop and I have to unplug it and plug it back in to start again.

I did read something about Google doing away with Android Auto but not sure if that is the issue or something else.

Basically, your USB unit is faulty and the dealer is supposed to replace it once they determine it is faulty.

This is a common issue and if I remember correctly, there is a warranty service number for this . I have been trying to locate the bulletin and will update this once I find it.

It is not the phone's fault or the cable (even thought sometimes it may be lol). This happens with android and apple, so no phone is immune.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
603 Posts
AA sucks on this car. Save yourself a headache and get an aftermarket unit. Waiting for mine to arrive.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
166 Posts
AA sucks on this car. Save yourself a headache and get an aftermarket unit. Waiting for mine to arrive.
In for install thread/guide :D. Which head unit?

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
195 Posts
Honestly, I had this happen alot...
I moved to iPhone recently and CarPlay seems to work far better.

·
Registered
2019 Base CVT + Eyesight + Fogs
603 Posts
In for install thread/guide :D. Which head unit?
I got this one: Belsee Aftermarket Subaru XV Impreza Crosstrek Forester 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 Android 11 Auto Head Unit Car Stereo Upgrade Radio Replacement 8 inch IPS Touch Screen GPS Navigation System Multimedia Wireless Apple Carplay Ram 8GB Rom 128GB 4G Bluet

I'm also going to buy a proper amp, and I have a sub in a spare wheel box sitting around. And then run direct wire to each speaker from the amp because I'm getting buzz with the stock wire.

·
Registered
1 Posts

A few days ago, I bought my 2018 subaru impreza hatchback and I can't connect my s21 to the car too!!! That is big deal! I don't know what to do... I get a new USB cable and charging is working but I can't sync it with my phone. What to do?! Change my phone to iPhone or change my car ?! Dame thing
N

·
Registered
2.0i 5D 5MT Silver
195 Posts
My Pixel 3XL did work fine with AA on my 2018 hatch, and before it a Pixel 1XL. So I'd change the cable or try a friend's phone.

·
Registered
19 Sport Hatch MT
166 Posts
Yeah I’d change the cable. Never had any issues getting it to work on a galaxy s10 or pixel 2,4,5.
always been using anker or stock pixel cables tho.
Might be a dumb question, but do you have AA installed on your galaxy?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts