5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Impreza has been sitting for the the past few months. Before I parked it my Android Auto was working just fine. I actually like it a lot, I like using Waze all the time plus the other hands free features. It was working well. Today for the life of me I can't get it to hook up to my head unit. It won't project and the icon is grayed out. Anyone have any ideas? I posted on the Android Auto forum but I don't have high hopes, this is my post a cut and paste.

• Error message: see attached photo
  • Were you able to connect to Android Auto prior to the issue: Yes it worked most of the time every once in a while it would do this but rarely.
  • Car / head unit make & model: 2019 Subaru Sport OEM 8" Infotainment display
  • Phone make & model: Samsung S10
  • Android OS version: 10
  • Android Auto app version: 5.3.501644
  • Google Play services version: (Settings > Apps (or Apps & notifications > App info) > Google Play services): 20.18.17

My car has been sitting for a few months so I don't know which update made this happen. When I had my phone plugged into the USB and started the car it would automatically start AA and project to my screen. I like to have waze up all the time while driving. Now when I start the car it will not project and the AA Icon is grayed out, there was a few times it was not grayed out but selecting it did nothing. AA seems to start on the phone and run but will not project, I can hear the audio that is being played though AA if I had a pod cast on. Things I've tired:
verifying I have the latest updates on the car's infotainment unit
restarting phone
uninstalling and reinstalling AA
pairing and un pairing
about 6 different cables including two new out of the box high quality ones including the OEM cable that came with the phone.
deleting the phone from the head unit and reinstalling
swearing a lot
BT is on but I've tired turning on and off with and without USB cable.
starting the car with the USB cable plugged in
starting the car without the USB plugged in then plugging it in
plugging and unplugging the USB, as suggested by the error message
Nothing seems to work, I've fiddled with different settings on the phone and the AA app to no avail.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
195 Posts
Apple CarPlay does the same thing once in a while.
This. Happens to me with my iPhone maybe every month or so. If I unplug and reconnect the USB cord a couple of times it usually resolves it, but not always. Since I'm on iOS I don't really have any advice for your phone's end of things.

Frustrating to say the least. I'm like you and have Waze on the screen for my commute every trip (70 miles round trip daily).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Has your car's software been updated recently? Also, are you certain your USB cable has connected completely? I've occasionally found that a 'full reboot' is needed, which includes unplugging the cable, turning the car off, WALKING AWAY FROM THE CAR FAR ENOUGH THAT IT CAN'T CONNECT WITH THE PHONE, and waiting a few minutes. Either that, or just forgetting about it and trying again tomorrow...

·
ModFather
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update: I was finally able to get it to work. I did a lot of googling and seems to be a pretty common issue. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a single fix that works for everyone. Below I'm going to post a few that while didn't work for me, seemed to help a number of others. Just in case anyone searches the same issue here.

I tried a number of USB-C cables at first. I have some brand new high end ones and even the one that came with the phone and that did not fix it. I did try this a few times over different days because I did notice it would not hook up the two time I've had to move the car in the past few weeks.

I wish I could say exactly what fixed it but I'm still not exactly sure. I did do an uninstall of the AA which was not really an uninstall because it's and app embedded into my S10. I uninstalled the update tried to hook up with the original software but that didn't work either. It seems that the latest version of AA even removes the icon from your phone, I had to use an app to put it back. Oddly enough I got to a point that AA would not even add my car to the recognized vehicle.

Frustrated, I took my wife's Pixel phone and tried to hook it up to my car's AA. At first kept getting the exact same error messages. Unhook and re-hook USB cable, I tried 4 - 5 different cables still no luck. After a bit of fiddling around it started to project google maps to my screen on the car. That made me think it was my phone of course. So I tried my phone again and for some reason now it was recognized by AA and asked me to add it to the app on the phone and I went though the accepting screens and low and behold it projected Waze to the screen.

So it's working for now anyway. I don't know if there was some sort of bug that was cleared using the second phone but other than hooking up the second phone I didn't change anything on my phone to get it to work again.

List of things I tired that people suggested:

App that will put the icon back on your phone that the latest version has removed, so you can get to the settings without being hooked up:

Android Auto for phone screens - Apps on Google Play

Here's what fixed it:

• Uninstall Android Auto
  • Go into Settings -> Apps -> Storage -> Clear Cache
  • Plug in your phone after your car's head unit has booted up
  • The AA screen should show and you can click Get Started, and the phone will re-download AA.
<<<<<

I found a fix that worked for me so it's worth a try, connect phone via cable as normal then on the infotainment screen go to the phone menu make a call 'i used voicemail' after a few seconds end the call, navigate over to the android auto button on the car infotainment screen and it's then connected ready to launch, again not ideal but this works for me every time, I'm sure it's something to do with SamsungDex causing the problem.

Solution:

Step 1: Phone Settings > System > About Phone > Software Information > Tap 7 times on Build Number to enable Developer Mode

Step 2: Phone Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging On

<<<<<

Step 3: Phone Settings > Developer Options > Default USB Configuration > Set to USB Tethering

Connect your Phone to your car via USB and Android Auto should start hopefully!

·
Registered
186 Posts
update: I was finally able to get it to work. I did a lot of googling and seems to be a pretty common issue. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a single fix that works for everyone. Below I'm going to post a few that while didn't work for me, seemed to help a number of others. Just in case anyone searches the same issue here.

I tried a number of USB-C cables at first. I have some brand new high end ones and even the one that came with the phone and that did not fix it. I did try this a few times over different days because I did notice it would not hook up the two time I've had to move the car in the past few weeks.

I wish I could say exactly what fixed it but I'm still not exactly sure. I did do an uninstall of the AA which was not really an uninstall because it's and app embedded into my S10. I uninstalled the update tried to hook up with the original software but that didn't work either. It seems that the latest version of AA even removes the icon from your phone, I had to use an app to put it back. Oddly enough I got to a point that AA would not even add my car to the recognized vehicle.

Frustrated, I took my wife's Pixel phone and tried to hook it up to my car's AA. At first kept getting the exact same error messages. Unhook and re-hook USB cable, I tried 4 - 5 different cables still no luck. After a bit of fiddling around it started to project google maps to my screen on the car. That made me think it was my phone of course. So I tried my phone again and for some reason now it was recognized by AA and asked me to add it to the app on the phone and I went though the accepting screens and low and behold it projected Waze to the screen.

So it's working for now anyway. I don't know if there was some sort of bug that was cleared using the second phone but other than hooking up the second phone I didn't change anything on my phone to get it to work again.

List of things I tired that people suggested:

App that will put the icon back on your phone that the latest version has removed, so you can get to the settings without being hooked up:

Android Auto for phone screens - Apps on Google Play

Here's what fixed it:

• Uninstall Android Auto
  • Go into Settings -> Apps -> Storage -> Clear Cache
  • Plug in your phone after your car's head unit has booted up
  • The AA screen should show and you can click Get Started, and the phone will re-download AA.
<<<<<

I found a fix that worked for me so it's worth a try, connect phone via cable as normal then on the infotainment screen go to the phone menu make a call 'i used voicemail' after a few seconds end the call, navigate over to the android auto button on the car infotainment screen and it's then connected ready to launch, again not ideal but this works for me every time, I'm sure it's something to do with SamsungDex causing the problem.

Solution:

Step 1: Phone Settings > System > About Phone > Software Information > Tap 7 times on Build Number to enable Developer Mode

Step 2: Phone Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging On

<<<<<

Step 3: Phone Settings > Developer Options > Default USB Configuration > Set to USB Tethering

Connect your Phone to your car via USB and Android Auto should start hopefully!
I used to have the same problem, also trying new cables regularly. Currently no problems with the current cable I have now bought a month ago at a Meijer gas station. An additional benefit so far is after shutting the car off and refueling on trips, I haven't had to unplug and reconnect with this cable either. Conversely, A braided cable I purchased at the local Autozone never has worked from day one.

·
ModFather
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that for the most part cables have a lot to do with issues. My cable brand of choice is Anker, I have lots of them along with power port plugs and stuff like that. They seem to be really good quality

USB Type-C Cables - Anker

·
Registered
2020 Manual 4-door Base
145 Posts
I've had that same issue a couple of times during my first 2 months, on a brand new 2020.

Changing cables never helped. I Uninstalled AA, factory reset my head unit, and then kept trying and it eventually just worked. It's so frustrating because otherwise it always works but when that issue happens there seems to be no easy fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine stopped connecting after latest android auto update... tried everything within reason..will wait for next update..i guess

·
ModFather
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just following up, so far it's been hooking up with no issues although for some reason Waze keeps saying no network connection. but I think that's a Waze thing. I did have one issue with it not hooking up but after I removed my wife's phone from the list it's been fine.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Impreza
2 Posts
I had an issue with this before, a fix that worked for me is the use a usb hub to plug into the usb port and then connect your phone through that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I find Android Auto buggy, even with my Wife's new CHR.... not to mention that you need another app installed on the phone, I just use Bluetooth, simpler and easier.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've been having issues lately with WAZE either stopping or 'hanging up'. A few days recently, I hooked up instead to Google maps, which worked well, but I really need the extra info WAZE gives that Maps doesn't. So, I'm not certain where the problem is. Could it be with my phone, or with my carrier, or with my software in the car, or maybe just with whatever servers Android Auto and WAZE are using. At best, my phone responds slowly when connected, so I hope that upgrading my phone will give me at least some relief.

·
ModFather
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dread when they update AA or waze. Mine has been working perfectly for the past few weeks. You never know when it's going crap out again.

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
Can you imagine someone in their 70s having a problem like this? LOL my mother has trouble with her phone by itself!

Thank God her car is like 20 years old. LOL

·
ModFather
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just checking in. Some good news for a change. I've recently upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G from an S10. I was worried that AA would give me issues. I'm happy to report, so far anyway, I've been able to use AA with no issues. It seems that it doesn't matter how I hook up. Starting the car with it hooked up, hooking up after I start the car and even unplugging and plugging the phone in while using it. It's been working well for the past few weeks even after an AA update. Myself I like to have Waze up all the time and have either Spotify or my Podcase app running.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just checking in. Some good news for a change. I've recently upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G from an S10. I was worried that AA would give me issues. I'm happy to report, so far anyway, I've been able to use AA with no issues. It seems that it doesn't matter how I hook up. Starting the car with it hooked up, hooking up after I start the car and even unplugging and plugging the phone in while using it. It's been working well for the past few weeks even after an AA update. Myself I like to have Waze up all the time and have either Spotify or my Podcase app running.
Still waiting for mine. I'm hearing 2/23.

·
ModFather
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I may have spoke too soon. Something bizarre happened the other day on the way to work. Well it happened twice and the odd thing is it happened in the exact same spot on the highway. First time, I had Waze running and listening to my podcast as I usually do. For no apparent reason, podcast shuts off, music media from my phone starts playing and Waze disc connects and android auto is grayed out. So, the USB is still hooked up since it's playing music from my phone but AA isn't working. I unplug and plug the USB connection into the phone and everything starts working again like nothing happened. Waze and podcast start working again. Weird. Everything is working fine for a week or two. Tuesday on the way to work same thing happens but this time re-plugging it back in has no effect. MP3 that are on my phone play and grayed out AA. I tried some things while I was driving but of course that was limited not wanting to crash and all. I got to work and sat in the car for a while trying everything I could think of. Turned off the car and re started it, checked my USB connection was set to the Android Auto exchange setting. I fiddled for about 10 -15 min but nothing worked . This was at about 7 AM when I get to work, so when I left work around 5 everything started working like normal and has been since.

This is what kind of pisses me off, random not working. This time was fine for the most part, I was just going to work but what if I really wanted my navigation? Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again when I really need it.

Reactions: DA_RU

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, I updated the software on my '19 sport yesterday, and now AA does not open at all! This is the most aggravating software I've ever had to deal with!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts