5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 10% of the time it seems like the stereo doesn't recognize that I have my phone hooked up, and the Android Auto can't be used, although it's running on my phone. Usually if I turn the car off, and start it up a few minutes later it works fine. It has been inconvenient a few times, when I've needed to use Navigation. Anyone else have this problem? Seems like the head unit isn't the greatest, as I've been reading about other problems on this board.

I have a Limited with the 8 inch touch screen and have everything but Nav.

·
Registered
24 Posts
About 10% of the time it seems like the stereo doesn't recognize that I have my phone hooked up, and the Android Auto can't be used, although it's running on my phone. Usually if I turn the car off, and start it up a few minutes later it works fine. It has been inconvenient a few times, when I've needed to use Navigation. Anyone else have this problem? Seems like the head unit isn't the greatest, as I've been reading about other problems on this board.

I have a Limited with the 8 inch touch screen and have everything but Nav.
I am also an Android user and have had this exact same experience even after the reprogramming and even a full replacement infotainment unit.

When this happened to me I had did a few things and now it is seemingly more reliable but still has a few hiccups now and then, ie lags now and then or freezes for a few seconds but usually revovers.

What I ended up doing was:

1) In the Android Auto app settings screen tell it to forget all vehicles, then go into the app manager in settings of your phone find AA and clear the cache and data etc. Then restart the phone make sure it is unlocked and on your home screen and plug it in. AA should pop up on the phone and go through the initial setup and then will be accessible by the radio. This helped at one point but was ultimately temporary as the issue came back a few days later.

2) After I tried the above solution and it came back I then repeated the steps of wiping the cars and data from AA and then reset the radio to factory. This was a longer fix but also ended up coming back after about a week.

3) After the issue resurfaced a second time I decided maybe my phone was the issue and I backed it up and then reset it to factory as well as again reset the radio in the car to factory and resetup everything and so far on about two weeks with it working reliably everytime I plug in. BTW my phone is a ZTE Axon 7 running the latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat.

Hope this helps some. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is one of the problems I have had with Android Auto. About 10% of the time it will be greyed out, and won't connect until everything is off and it times out.

Also:

1. Usually, Android Auto will warn that bluetooth is not connected, when it is.
2. On two occasions the radio has become completely unresponsive. Volume won't work, buttons don't work, it won't turn off, etc. But it still responds to the phone.

Nexus 6P with 7.1.2

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had this happen several times, too. I'm never sure if it is the phone or the car. Unplugging the phone and plugging it back in usually doesn't seem to help. I usually don't want to let the car idle for like 2+ minutes just for the phone to reboot.
One of the primary motivations for me to pick this car was Android Auto. It is frustrating that it isn't always reliable.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've had this happen several times, too. I'm never sure if it is the phone or the car. Unplugging the phone and plugging it back in usually doesn't seem to help. I usually don't want to let the car idle for like 2+ minutes just for the phone to reboot.
One of the primary motivations for me to pick this car was Android Auto. It is frustrating that it isn't always reliable.
So it really sounds like Android Auto and CarPlay have a very similar issue about the phone being
recognized. Is there always tethered - cause there is no Bluetooth support for iPhones with CarPlay.
But fails to recognize, unplug/replug - all OK.

So far plugging it back it always works, have not had to reboot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you tried using a different USB cable? Low-quality USB cables can cause problems with Android Auto. If you google "Android Auto USB Cable", you'll find some Google-recommended cables.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mine does this intermittently, but it's definitely not something I can predict because it's infrequent. I'd say it's been better overall since I recently updated the headunit firmware, but I don't really know for certain.

I haven't tried fully resetting the head unit, or wiping it in the app. I'm also rarely restarting my phone or shutting my car off for 3+ minutes to see which resolves it so I can't say with 100% certainty whether it's the car or the phone in all cases.

I've read of similar problems with other car/head units (with Android Auto and CarPlay) so I also wonder if some of it is just due to good old quirks with the technology that haven't been 100% worked out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sadly same issue - no solution

Hi,

picked up a 2017 impreza two weeks ago. Been dreaming of getting Waze directly on my android auto screen.

AA worked right off the bat.
And then, since last Wednesday - it doesn't anymore.

When I connect my phone, the AA button becomes "available" on the screen (passses from greyed out to fully lit) - but whenever I press it, nothing happens. There is nothing different on the phone's screen (its showing the black & white AA logo). It just sits there assuming its working but it isn.t

IF however I connect a friend's phone; then AA will launch against his. If I disconnect his phone and then plug mine - then mine will work, but only for that session. After a car restart then its f*cked again - and sadly, I don't happen to have an android-phone-bearing friend nearby whenever & wherever I need to start my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI-
so far Forgetting all cars - and reconnecting it does the trick;
however, one would hope it wouldn't be necessary EVERY DAY...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Was having this same issue. Since doing the update to the infotainment system I have had no issues

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

picked up a 2017 impreza two weeks ago. Been dreaming of getting Waze directly on my android auto screen.

AA worked right off the bat.
And then, since last Wednesday - it doesn't anymore.

When I connect my phone, the AA button becomes "available" on the screen (passses from greyed out to fully lit) - but whenever I press it, nothing happens. There is nothing different on the phone's screen (its showing the black & white AA logo). It just sits there assuming its working but it isn.t

IF however I connect a friend's phone; then AA will launch against his. If I disconnect his phone and then plug mine - then mine will work, but only for that session. After a car restart then its f*cked again - and sadly, I don't happen to have an android-phone-bearing friend nearby whenever & wherever I need to start my car.
This is exactly my issue. I have a had a **** of a time finding anything online about this specific problem I've been having over the last month (bought the car July 1st, with a whirlwind of other AA problems before this one came to light). I don't regularly drive with anyone who has an Android phone, so I haven't tried your "solution." Another comment in this thread suggests to clear the "Accepted Cars" list in the AA app, which is a new suggestion to me and I'll be giving that a try today.

Otherwise, if I follow the following "rules" every time I get in my car to drive, I am sometimes more likely to get AA to launch correctly the 2nd time, instead of after 10+ tries:

1. Start engine.
2. Let the head unit finish all of its initializing processes, including accepting the Disclaimer about driving safe and what not.
3. Unlock phone and make sure no apps are displayed, constantly touching the background to keep the screen awake (Once the phone is connected, the screen on time is reduced to something like three seconds, and I haven't figured out how to change this).
4. Connect the USB cable to the phone
5. Don't press "OK" on the new dialogue box telling you to check your phone. Let it time-out on its own (UI gripe here, BTW: Why does the car have to tell you to check the phone, so the phone can tell you to check your car?!? This should be more stream-lined).
6. Wait for the phone screen to display the green background message telling you to launch the app from the car.
7. Press the AA icon on the head unit, inevitably doing nothing more than beeping and changing the phone screen to the Black/White Android Auto Screen that does nothing but deter you from using the phone while driving.
8. Disconnect the phone, and wait for both the head unit and the phone to shut down the apps.
9. Go back to Step 4, and repeat until you get a launch.

Again, I find these steps to help launch AA successfully and in the quickest way I have found so far (maybe about 3 minutes of idling. Plugging, Unplugging, Waiting). If I do any of these differently, such as try to plug in before starting the car, I tend to be more likely to get into the worst case scenario. For me, this is when the phone displays the dialog asking what to do with the USB connection (Charge Only, MTP Connection for Images, etc.). If I get this, the AA icon remains greyed out and no amount of unplugging, replugging, phone/car restarting, changing USB settings, force stopping/restarting apps, cache clearing, praying to the Tech Gods, etc. will ever fix the issue. The only fix is to shut down the car for an extended period of time, reboot the phone, and try again later. I must accept that AA is not working for that particular drive.

I guess I'm not searching for any particular answers, as it seems there aren't any right now and AA will just remain buggy with current hardware and software available. I've continued to periodically make sure I have latest release versions of everything, that power optimization settings are all correct, etc. I just thought I'd add my current experience here to maybe provide one more post that someone can relate to and comment on similarities, differences, and/or suggestions.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. T-Mobile. Android 7.0. 2017 Impreza Sport.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Personally, I've only had the issue twice where the app was lit up in the app screen. But would not load up. Normally, I plug in the phone after I've started the car and AA will boot up on its own. When I bought the car in March I had a Note 4 (way old I know) that's the phone that gave me the issue twice. I gave in and bought the S8 in June because I love it without the home button. So far no issues.

Also for anyone who likes Pandora. I have a cracked version I've had for like 4 years now, unlimited skips, no ads and song downloads with all song info and album art. The App on the stereo gets the unlimited skips and no ads as well which I love.

The way I used my phone while connected to AA. On the Note 4, I pulled up the recent apps list (the screen to close all recent apps), don't close them but just push the home button after opening that screen.

On my S8 since that's part of the screen and all I have access to is the home button and the back button, I use the Edge panel to open apps I like use, like Starbucks or Snapchat.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
Personally, I've only had the issue twice where the app was lit up in the app screen. But would not load up. Normally, I plug in the phone after I've started the car and AA will boot up on its own. When I bought the car in March I had a Note 4 (way old I know) that's the phone that gave me the issue twice. I gave in and bought the S8 in June because I love it without the home button. So far no issues.

Also for anyone who likes Pandora. I have a cracked version I've had for like 4 years now, unlimited skips, no ads and song downloads with all song info and album art. The App on the stereo gets the unlimited skips and no ads as well which I love.

The way I used my phone while connected to AA. On the Note 4, I pulled up the recent apps list (the screen to close all recent apps), don't close them but just push the home button after opening that screen.

On my S8 since that's part of the screen and all I have access to is the home button and the back button, I use the Edge panel to open apps I like use, like Starbucks or Snapchat.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
I think I've had the button light up and not launch once, maybe... I definitely haven't seen it more than once if at all.

The phone I'm using is a Galaxy S7 Active and overall it's been pretty good with Android Auto.

I'm mostly commenting because I've found the same workaround to access other apps on my phone while Android Auto is active. Hitting the app switcher and then the home button works, but I wish they'd make it a bit easier.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Rel2.17.22.20 Is what they patched me to on Monday
OK, so I went to my dealer and that's the version I got also. Had a heck of a time getting my phone to go into "car mode" to even recognize it was connected to a car, but it eventually worked and it's working. For now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Experiencing a new problem with Android Auto with a Pixel 2 with Oreo. Android Auto suddenly disconnects and doesn't restart. Unplugging the phone, letting it sit for a few minutes, and then plugging in sometimes allows it to restart. Not always. Didn't have this with Nougat. On the other hand, have had no instances so far of not starting at all.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Experiencing a new problem with Android Auto with a Pixel 2 with Oreo. Android Auto suddenly disconnects and doesn't restart. Unplugging the phone, letting it sit for a few minutes, and then plugging in sometimes allows it to restart. Not always. Didn't have this with Nougat. On the other hand, have had no instances so far of not starting at all.
Never had anything like that on my S7 Active.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Sounds like the Pixel is creating havoc for several folks...glad I am an Apple guy:wink2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts