5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've had my infotainment system lock up on startup on a screen that says "Telematics Service in Progress", which renders the entire system useless for the duration of using the car until it is shut off for a longish period of time - presumably to let the system fully shut down. I just wrote Subaru about it:

Hello,
My Impreza's infotainment system has not been very reliable at all, even after the safety recall update. At least twice now, it has gotten stuck on a screen "Telematics Service in Progress" that won't go away until the car sits turned off for a longish period. I can't use music, android auto, radio - anything because the screen is stuck.

In addition, the Android Auto interface is extremely unreliable. Either the Android Auto icon doesn't appear at all when plugging my phone in, or it does, but then clicking the icon doesn't do anything at all. I'd say it doesn't work about 1/3rd of the times I use it, which is really terrible.

I really hope that this gets resolved, or it might be time to start looking into lemon laws - and I really don't want to go through that hassle.

Response:

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.
We appreciate your purchase of a 2017 Impreza.
I'm sorry to hear of your concerns with the infotainment system in the vehicle.
Our engineers are currently investigating all customer comments related to any performance issues with these head units, and I will gladly share your comments with them.
We anticipate that a file update to address several issues, including those you mentioned, will be released in the near future.
Once it is availabl, your Subaru retailer would be able to perform the update for you.
Please keep checking in with us for more information, as it becomes available.

This sounds promising! Really hope they fix a lot of the responsiveness, screen getting stuck/crashing issues, as well as Android Auto and CarPlay misbehaving. And, of course, I'd love if the thing would stop insisting on playing the radio. Fingers crossed that Subaru is working on getting all of the bugs out, fulling testing it, and gets it right this time! Maybe we'll even get to do the update over wifi instead of yet another dealer recall visit! Hah.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just make sure that you have the latest software. either go to your dealer and have them check it out, or connect your system to wifi and check for a software update.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
My control module is being replaced because of the same error message you are receiving. My dealer ordered the part and will be installed once it arrives I opened a case with SOA about this. I highly suggest talking to your dealer about this soon.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just make sure that you have the latest software. either go to your dealer and have them check it out, or connect your system to wifi and check for a software update.
Has anybody actually ever received a software update over wifi? I got the last software recall installed for the backup camera issue already.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My control module is being replaced because of the same error message you are receiving. My dealer ordered the part and will be installed once it arrives I opened a case with SOA about this. I highly suggest talking to your dealer about this soon.
Is that the Engine Control Module? It seems strange that they would replace that for the entertainment system.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Is that the Engine Control Module? It seems strange that they would replace that for the entertainment system.
They tried updating the software in my car and it wouldn't successfully upload. I think they said it just continues to reverse to the previous update. SOA said they have replaced a few control modules and that fixed the issue. I'm hoping for the same result. I'm still awaiting more information about this from SOA.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They tried updating the software in my car and it wouldn't successfully upload. I think they said it just continues to reverse to the previous update. SOA said they have replaced a few control modules and that fixed the issue. I'm hoping for the same result. I'm still awaiting more information about this from SOA.
Ah, so the Control Module replacement is just to allow them to install the latest firmware version? I'm pretty sure they were able to install the latest version in mine fine - it's just still buggy as heck.

·
Administrator
785 Posts
Ah, so the Control Module replacement is just to allow them to install the latest firmware version? I'm pretty sure they were able to install the latest version in mine fine - it's just still buggy as heck.
That is what it seems. What bugs are you still having? I've only gotten the telematics message once. Since then just a few minor bugs and glitches.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is what it seems. What bugs are you still having? I've only gotten the telematics message once. Since then just a few minor bugs and glitches.
As stated in my original post, I've gotten the telematics message twice. About 1/3rd of the time I try to plug in my phone, either the Android Auto icon never appears, or it does appear but clicking the icon doesn't do anything, and Android Auto never loads, even if unplugging the phone, plugging it back in. Who knows how much of this is my phone's fault, but it worked pretty consistently and reliably when I was using a different car.
Android auto is very, very slow to start when it does work. I'm often idling in my garage for like half a minute waiting for the stupid thing to load. Again, this was fast in a rental car (hyundai).
And, while not a bug, I'm super annoyed with the fact that the car always plays the radio when starting it, no matter what I was listening to. Also starts playing radio when I turn the car off. Makes no sense!
USB drive takes forever to load/become ready. Doesn't start playing automatically. It actually always says "media loading" even though I can play media.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As stated in my original post, I've gotten the telematics message twice. About 1/3rd of the time I try to plug in my phone, either the Android Auto icon never appears, or it does appear but clicking the icon doesn't do anything, and Android Auto never loads, even if unplugging the phone, plugging it back in. Who knows how much of this is my phone's fault, but it worked pretty consistently and reliably when I was using a different car.
Android auto is very, very slow to start when it does work. I'm often idling in my garage for like half a minute waiting for the stupid thing to load. Again, this was fast in a rental car (hyundai).
And, while not a bug, I'm super annoyed with the fact that the car always plays the radio when starting it, no matter what I was listening to. Also starts playing radio when I turn the car off. Makes no sense!
USB drive takes forever to load/become ready. Doesn't start playing automatically. It actually always says "media loading" even though I can play media.
Add to that: radio presets are being erased (happened to me twice this week alone),
phonebook erased,
even though I turn the system off, once a screen comes up, totally unrelated, like initial attention screen or rear camera view, the radio will start working again, until the screen disappears or i shift out of Reverse,
When the system is off, i can turn the volume up and down, but the screen is still turned off.

I called SOA (subaru of America) customer service this morning. The only thing they could do is open a case and refer me to the dealer. They don't handle technical issues, so the dealers are the only technicians who can diagnose technical issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 weeeks in and Infotainment **** since day 3!

So it started with all of my radio presets disappearing on my few day old car
Less than two weeks later I noticed that all the FM stations have static, even without Bluetooth on and complained that often Android Auto won't work, or wont come up on the screen but is still active and I have no control. I was told they know there are issues and hope there is a fix from SOA by August. The techs don't know how to fix it either.
Than that evening when traveling my And Aut GPS kept locking up and even locked up my brand new S8 (which has never locked up before!) and 45 minutes later still couldn't get directions because it kept saying we were at the previous destination. I got lost twice! I had to restart my phone and do GPS on that.
2 days later I was trying to listen to my USB (which has worked before) but it would only play a few seconds of each song. I tuned it to radio but it was too loud and not on a station I wanted, but then it locked up and just said Subaru Starlink on the screen. It would not turn off but I could still make calls from my cell which would sound through the infotainment center; just with no control. I really wanted the radio off!!! I tried turning it off to no avail. At a stoplight I put the car in park and turned it off and opened the door. The radio turned off but when I shut the door and restarted it resumed frozen mode. It wasn't until I turned if off for gas and turned it back on and initiated reverse that it unfroze.
Ugh! Brand new!!! The dealer says I probably don't want to bring it in if its not doing it?
I have a request for the shop foreman or service manager to call me tomorrow as I've spent 20 years previously working in dealer service. I am hoping to start a case through the dealer to document it all and praying I didn't buy another lemon like my 3rd Suzuki :( Aside from that I love my first Subaru... However this could be a total deal breaker!

·
Registered
149 Posts
So it started with all of my radio presets disappearing on my few day old car
Less than two weeks later I noticed that all the FM stations have static, even without Bluetooth on and complained that often Android Auto won't work, or wont come up on the screen but is still active and I have no control. I was told they know there are issues and hope there is a fix from SOA by August. The techs don't know how to fix it either.
Than that evening when traveling my And Aut GPS kept locking up and even locked up my brand new S8 (which has never locked up before!) and 45 minutes later still couldn't get directions because it kept saying we were at the previous destination. I got lost twice! I had to restart my phone and do GPS on that.
2 days later I was trying to listen to my USB (which has worked before) but it would only play a few seconds of each song. I tuned it to radio but it was too loud and not on a station I wanted, but then it locked up and just said Subaru Starlink on the screen. It would not turn off but I could still make calls from my cell which would sound through the infotainment center; just with no control. I really wanted the radio off!!! I tried turning it off to no avail. At a stoplight I put the car in park and turned it off and opened the door. The radio turned off but when I shut the door and restarted it resumed frozen mode. It wasn't until I turned if off for gas and turned it back on and initiated reverse that it unfroze.
Ugh! Brand new!!! The dealer says I probably don't want to bring it in if its not doing it?
I have a request for the shop foreman or service manager to call me tomorrow as I've spent 20 years previously working in dealer service. I am hoping to start a case through the dealer to document it all and praying I didn't buy another lemon like my 3rd Suzuki :( Aside from that I love my first Subaru... However this could be a total deal breaker!
Call Subaru Customer services in your country, open a case and get them involved. Your audio unit is probably bad, and needs to be replaced. Don't wait for the dealer, go straight to Subaru's services.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I lemon'd my brand new on 2/11/2017 Impreza Sport 2.0 due to these issues. The new car arrived today, but I'm out of the country I will be turning in the old car and picking up the new one June 23. Subaru is pretty certain they've figured out the issues and my new car will not do this. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The update is out. If you subscribe to the Subaru Technical Information System you can download the file and install it yourself. It's TSB 15-211-17.
https://stis.subaru.com/static/whatsNew.html

I assume it will be available over wifi for you Sport and Limited owners. For us Premium owners we have to do the update via usb drive so it's either a trip to the dealer or subscribe to STIS and do it ourselves.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The update is out. If you subscribe to the Subaru Technical Information System you can download the file and install it yourself. It's TSB 15-211-17.
https://stis.subaru.com/static/whatsNew.html

"15-211-17 Technical Service Bulletin Reprogramming File Availability Offering Additional Optimization of Harman Gen 3 Audio and Navigation Head Units Jun 13, 2017"

Harman Kardon® Premium Audio is only available on the 2.0i Sport, 2.0i Limited: Build Your Own Subaru Impreza | Subaru of America

So this TSB may only apply to those two models.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Can somebody post the file, I assume you can install with a USB drive?
Or is that a major no-no?

Or will that show up today if I connect via Wifi?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is great news! The last update for the reverse camera that we got didn't come over wifi, so who knows if this one will, too. I'm going to see if it is available when I get home later today (I suspect it won't be). What does the PDF of the TSB say? I can't access it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Getting my update done this Friday 06/16 and we'll see how it goes.
I will update the folks here.

I would pay the $35 for STIS and post the PDF and files here, but that may be
a major violation of Subaru tech terms, not sure. I'd love to know what
it fixes and may ask the dealer for at least that piece of paper.

Despite my best efforts, my infotainment has not misbehaved in weeks if
you exclude the vanishing settings/resetting - that hasn't changed.

I suspect this flavor of update will never come over Wifi - too complex,
bet it takes 20-30 minutes to install. Not there this morning and I guess
not anytime soon.

Reactions: NoData

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The earliest appointment my dealer had was 6/26! Unfortunately, I have guests in town then so the earliest I can go is 6/30. Crazy.... I suppose I can wait yet another 2 weeks. Who knows, maybe they'll release the update over wi-fi by then, or let us update it ourselves over USB. But, then, that would be way too convenient.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is funny. I sat in the car while it was connected to my wifi and checked for the update. I got an error message that I needed to connect to wifi and then check. So I guess there is another glitch.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts