5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically an ECU update for the radiator fan. I don't have full access so no idea which build dates are effected. Here's the public text from their STIS site:

"Subaru is recalling certain 2017 model year Impreza vehicles to update ECU software affecting the operation of the radiator cooling fan. DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY RISK Due to software programming within the engine control unit, the operating threshold of the radiator fan used to cool the fuel temperature is not set low enough for the fan to operate at an appropriate temperature when using winter blend fuels. When North American winter fuel, which will vaporize at a lower temperature, is used, the fuel may begin to vaporize prematurely under certain outside temperature and low speed or stopped driving conditions. Premature vaporization causes a decrease in fuel pressure. If this occurs, the vehicle may experience a condition of rough idling, no-start or engine stall. In some cases, if the engine were to stall, the driver may be unable to restart the vehicle for a certain period of time. The engine may stall in certain circumstances while driving, including low speed, stop-and-go traffic, or at a stop and may not be able to be restarted immediately, increasing the risk of a crash."

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in no hurry since we recently switched to the summer blend fuel in my area. It usually switches around this time and you can tell when the price makes a big increase overnight. Sounds like it's only a problem if it's a really hot day on winter blend.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It didn't sound so bad until I got to the part about the engine stalling, that's going to be a pain especially in the wintertime and it's just so cold.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is there an easy way to tell for certain what your exact build date was? My dealer gave me a sheet
that says "Schedule Date" 03-17-2017 so looks like I just missed it.

and,

If you don't see any recall or service bulletin listed in MySubaru.com -
does that mean it doesn't apply?
Or can that get updated at a later time - right now I see nothing.
Looks like I missed the 2 recalls.

I bought my car in NJ last week and need to take it to PA dealer for
inspection when the tag/reg arrives, so would leave it to get anything done
that is needed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We took delivery of our 2017 Impreza on 30 March. There was a stop sale order from Subaru which should have prevented the delivery of any affected vehicles that were in dealer stock or transit when the recall was issued and the fix made available.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We took delivery of our 2017 Impreza on 30 March. There was a stop sale order from Subaru which should have prevented the delivery of any affected vehicles that were in dealer stock or transit when the recall was issued and the fix made available.
I am not 100% sure of what my build date was, but from the paperwork the dealer gave me,
it said "Schedule Date" of 03-17-2017 - so I doubt mine got built before this and I just missed
the cutoff. Took delivery Apr 01

So if you don't see anything on mysubaru.com (I don't) can I assume I'm in the clear on this issue?

I am sure there will be others to come, have no fear!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is there a way to check if the ECM was updated to the newest version? My tech said he updated it but I have some hesitation as to if it was changed or not.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
There is no way for you to do it without a Subaru laptop and plugging it into your OBD port

1 - 10 of 10 Posts