5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there Guys,
I've really been wanting to install fog lights on my 2019 Base since I bought it. In my research I came across a nice kit on Subispeed that seems to be super easy to install and have all the needed parts and pieces. Only thing is that it comes with the fog light bezels, which in my opinion just adds $70 to the cost, while the ones I have seem to be easily modified (cut) to accept the lights. With that, my thinking was that instead I could just purchase the switch and the Diode Dynamics fog lights and it would come out to around the same price as the full kit with what seems to be a nicer product. Do you guys think that I'm correct in my thinking here? I will admit that I don't know a whole heck of a lot about wiring or the like, but my thinking is that if the subispeed kit is intended to have everything that you would need for a car that comes stock without the lights, then that same switch paired with the DD fog lights should be equally as plug and play, right? Anybody on here done this? Just want a little bit of a sanity check before I put in the credit card and do something stupid! Thanks!

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
979 Posts
My understanding is that with the exception of the Sport, which has DRL's in the place where the fog lights usually go, the car is pre wired to accept fog lights. I've installed the DD SS3 fogs in my Sport which involved a lot more wiring.

I don't have a base, so anyone that has done this please chime in. You should be able to get the OEM switch, a relay , bezels (possibly modify your existing ones) and use the DDynamics fogs. I found the OEM fog light bezels on ebay for about 20 bucks each

Left and right fog light bezel 57731FL23A 57731FL22A

if you don't want to bother to cut up your existing ones. You'd have to find the part number for the relay and switch but I know that's around here somewhere. I've attached the Fog Upgrade instructions for our car so that will help too.

I have some pics of my install that will give you an idea how the fog light gets installed, the wiring part though is a lot less complicated for you the plug should be there for the lights and switch. Having said that I'd confirm first :)

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, @peaty! Everything said above seems to confirm what I've read, greatly appreciate the info. One quick question- Is the relay necessary? What exactly does that do? I noticed that the kit I mentioned in my original post did not include a relay so I assumed that it was already part of the factory-installed wiring harness possibly? Any thoughts?

·
ModFather
979 Posts
The relay completes the circuit, the wiring is there but not all the hardware like the button. They didn't put in the relay in the fuse block or the on off button but the other wiring is supposed to be there. So it's wired to the fuse block and of course a relay is to use the switch at low power to energize the relay that will power the lights Without it it won't work.

I thought the kit included the relay. They have two kids one for the sport and one for all the other's the sport one has a relay setup, my guess is the other kit ahs one too but maybe they use different wiring, hard to say having not seen it.

FWIW I got my DD fogs from Subispeed they were actually cheaper and had what I wanted in stock (I went with white fogs) when DD happened to be out of stock at the time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey there Guys,
I've really been wanting to install fog lights on my 2019 Base since I bought it. In my research I came across a nice kit on Subispeed that seems to be super easy to install and have all the needed parts and pieces. Only thing is that it comes with the fog light bezels, which in my opinion just adds $70 to the cost, while the ones I have seem to be easily modified (cut) to accept the lights. With that, my thinking was that instead I could just purchase the switch and the Diode Dynamics fog lights and it would come out to around the same price as the full kit with what seems to be a nicer product. Do you guys think that I'm correct in my thinking here? I will admit that I don't know a whole heck of a lot about wiring or the like, but my thinking is that if the subispeed kit is intended to have everything that you would need for a car that comes stock without the lights, then that same switch paired with the DD fog lights should be equally as plug and play, right? Anybody on here done this? Just want a little bit of a sanity check before I put in the credit card and do something stupid! Thanks!
Yes! I started a thread on them last spring. They've held up well in the Pacific Northwest weather and are still doing fantastic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The relay completes the circuit, the wiring is there but not all the hardware like the button. They didn't put in the relay in the fuse block or the on off button but the other wiring is supposed to be there. So it's wired to the fuse block and of course a relay is to use the switch at low power to energize the relay that will power the lights Without it it won't work.

I thought the kit included the relay. They have two kids one for the sport and one for all the other's the sport one has a relay setup, my guess is the other kit ahs one too but maybe they use different wiring, hard to say having not seen it.

FWIW I got my DD fogs from Subispeed they were actually cheaper and had what I wanted in stock (I went with white fogs) when DD happened to be out of stock at the time.
Interesting info, I have to admit that that does make sense. Interestingly enough, as you said, the sport kit claims to come with the relay harness while the non-sport kit claims not to. Must be different wiring or perhaps a mistake on the listing. I'm thinking I'll just purchase the DD fog lamps (from subispeed, cheaper as you also stated), and the switch. If it doesn't work, then I guess I'll order the relay!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes! I started a thread on them last spring. They've held up well in the Pacific Northwest weather and are still doing fantastic.
I did take a look at your post, those look awesome! Are yours the driving pattern or the fog pattern?

·
ModFather
979 Posts
I went with fogs. Because I have the sport and the way the wiring is (basically off of the DRL circuit the Sport has) they are on all the time. So during the day they are DRL's (sort of) and at night fogs but on even with the high beams. So driving lights, aimed high and down the road, would be blinding others. For me fogs are more useful. I drive a lot on back roads and having a low wide pattern that goes into the woods on either side is helpful for spotting deer and coyotes. Honestly I don't use my high beams a lot but it does kind of bug me that they are on with the high beams. I may rewire them at some point to go off when the high beams are on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went with fogs. Because I have the sport and the way the wiring is (basically off of the DRL circuit the Sport has) they are on all the time. So during the day they are DRL's (sort of) and at night fogs but on even with the high beams. So driving lights, aimed high and down the road, would be blinding others. For me fogs are more useful. I drive a lot on back roads and having a low wide pattern that goes into the woods on either side is helpful for spotting deer and coyotes. Honestly I don't use my high beams a lot but it does kind of bug me that they are on with the high beams. I may rewire them at some point to go off when the high beams are on.
Ah interesting. I've been trying to really increase my light output since imo the stock lighting situation (at least on the base) is pretty weak. I upgraded high and low to beamtech LEDs which did greatly help, but I still definitely do the fogs as well. I had convinced myself that the driving pattern would be better for what I'm trying to do but hearing you talk about the increased side visibility for deer and coyotes totally makes sense as well. I do live in Idaho and spend a fair bit of time on rural mountain roads so I'm definitely always super paranoid about deer/elk/etc. Choices choices choices....

·
ModFather
979 Posts
So with the LED's in the Hi Beams do they work out well? I thought with the hi beams also being the DRL's at low power they would flicker during the day or something like that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So with the LED's in the Hi Beams do they work out well? I thought with the hi beams also being the DRL's at low power they would flicker during the day or something like that.
Yeah so they do have a slight flicker if using DRL mode. I personally run my lights fully on day or night, so it makes no difference to me personally. That being said, if you message Beamtech through Amazon and tell them that you are experiencing the flicker they will send a decoder for free. I messaged them a few days ago and am expecting it to show up any day now. That should solve that issue, although like I said, if you just run the lights fully on as I generally do, there is no flicker.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did take a look at your post, those look awesome! Are yours the driving pattern or the fog pattern?
The DOT fog light pattern with a cut off. Really the only one you should buy if you plan on using them on the road. I've been very impressed with them and have even submerged them while driving through water crossings and had no issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The DOT fog light pattern with a cut off. Really the only one you should buy if you plan on using them on the road. I've been very impressed with them and have even submerged them while driving through water crossings and had no issue.
Gotcha. Makes sense. You guys think that the driving pattern rather than the fog pattern would be blinding to other drivers? I'm just trying to improve my general nighttime visibility, and obviously am not looking to blind anyone!

·
ModFather
979 Posts
A driving pattern ,only to be on with the high beams, has a long reaching relatively narrow pattern that supplements your high beams down the road just further. More for higher speed driving so you don't overdrive your lights. Unlike a fog light which is low, short and wide to get under the weather and is typically for lower speed driving.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Exactly my point, fog lights are not for trying to light up stuff down the road. Check out my pictures in the other thred to see the output pattern, I went with the DOT lense. The driving beam pattern has no cutoff, so it is pretty useless for on road use, and illegal. I only use my off road lights on the road when I'm stuck behind a blue hair going ten under the limit in the left lane.
The point is if you want to use them every day then get the DOT lense. If you want them to shine down the road like an extra set of high beams then get the driving light lense, but treat them like high beams. I believe Diode Dynamics will sell you replacement lenses if you ever change your mind.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Totally forgot that I took these. They're an excellent example to compare output of most of those beam patterns. About 20 miles down a road till a dead ends in the woods. Then an additional 5 miles down a gravel road. Zero light pollution.
20201224_062733.jpg

Low beam only. Stock LED headlights on the limited trim.
20201224_062736.jpg

Low beams plus diode Dynamics S3 LED fog lights DOT pattern.
20201224_062740.jpg

Factory high beams only
20201224_062753.jpg

Low beams, fog lights and hella LED driving lights.
20201224_062757.jpg

Low beams, fog lights, driving lights and 42-in LED light bar flood light pattern mounted to the roof. I love driving with all of these on. And that plus the steering response in the headlights and I have almost no blind spots even driving quickly down these curvy gravel roads at speed.
20201224_064550.jpg

This one is about 30 minutes or so before Dawn so there's a little pollution but still a good example. When in doubt just use everything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Totally forgot that I took these. They're an excellent example to compare output of most of those beam patterns. About 20 miles down a road till a dead ends in the woods. Then an additional 5 miles down a gravel road. Zero light pollution.
View attachment 24807
Low beam only. Stock LED headlights on the limited trim.
View attachment 24806
Low beams plus diode Dynamics S3 LED fog lights DOT pattern.
View attachment 24805
Factory high beams only
View attachment 24804
Low beams, fog lights and hella LED driving lights.
View attachment 24803
Low beams, fog lights, driving lights and 42-in LED light bar flood light pattern mounted to the roof. I love driving with all of these on. And that plus the steering response in the headlights and I have almost no blind spots even driving quickly down these curvy gravel roads at speed.
View attachment 24808
This one is about 30 minutes or so before Dawn so there's a little pollution but still a good example. When in doubt just use everything.
So helpful. Ordered the DOT fog pattern. I'm sure the driving pattern is great in some cases but as I'm thinking about it, the fog pattern seems much more usable for my use case. Will post pics onto this thread as I assemble! Went with the same bezels that @peaty used for his (Most of the other ones I was finding have the strip of chrome on the bezel), the DD DOT Fog pattern in white color, and the factory switch. Still will probably need the relay from what I've gathered, but I'll just snag one from the dealer. Really not too bad, should come out to a total of just under $300 all said. Worth an extra $50 over the standard OLM kit? I definitely think so. For what it's worth to anyone that finds this thread later down the road that may be looking to do this, check Subispeed for the DD parts. I paid $45 less buying the fog lights from Subispeed than direct from DD.

·
ModFather
979 Posts
Another heads up. I thought I had my fogs aimed properly the first time but apparently I was wrong. I got flashed by a few people so I rechecked my aim. It was just a little too high. When you put them in there needs to be a slight gap between the bezel and face of the fog light at the bottom. This is how I evened them up having the gap the same. Arrow to show the spot I mean.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This was my exact approach when it came to foglights because I also have a base sedan and I'm a geek for lighting. Knowing that these Subaru's come in with a built in harness behind the foglight bezel for the foglight assembly and behind the instrument panel for the button, makes the subispeed kit practical yet expensive for others. I did my search with some 4th gen and wrx foglight installs and just went with a cheaper approach.
I purchased some universal Winjet foglights that are designed for the 5th gen Impreza, which came up to $70. However all the connections were to be assembled by you (no tapping in or hardwiring tho) and figure out wire management through door boot or firewall. It does come with the housings, bezels, wiring, and a button but no relays and we do not use the existing hardware equipped with the car.
Although just so you know the foglights do have a gap and sit behind the bezel which isn't a flushed look but not so noticeable. So in this case, I have the foundation for the lights and if I wanted to switch the housing to morimoto or diode dynamics all I have to do is replace the assembly alone. Rather than spending a ton for the OLM kit just to replace the housing. So far my rig is just these winjet standard halogen fogs with LED's, I've had for a year and no issues so far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One last thing. What's everyone's thoughts on yellow vs white lenses? Think there is any validity to the idea that yellow cuts through inclement weather better than white?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts