5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ever since I ordered the r1 concept drilled and slotted brake rotors, I’ve felt my car and steering wheel shake. I took it to a mechanic and he saw my brake lines were messed up and wasn’t allowing the fluid to flow through. Thought it took care of the problem. And I did go to the dealership for the brake line swelling recall long before this. Since that I saw improvement. But my car still shakes a little bit so I bought hub centric rings, thinking that would help. And it did help a little too. But while driving to work one day, I noticed the same awful shake when driving 60+ mph and coming to a stop at 60+ mph. So I got my wheels and tires rebalanced, and it made the shakes not as bad, but I still feel it. I’m thinking it could be my alignment since I’ve been holding off on that since I lowered my car? I took it back to the same mechanic and he thought everything was okay. Nothing seemed wrong to him when he drove it. I also saw that on the note (that the brakes were fine) when I got my wheels and tires rebalanced at les schwab. I’m thinking it could also be warped rotors, but the rotors look fine and they’re new? I don’t know what to do? Is that just how it is when you get drilled and slotted rotors?

·
Registered
103 Posts
So ever since I ordered the r1 concept drilled and slotted brake rotors, I’ve felt my car and steering wheel shake. I took it to a mechanic and he saw my brake lines were messed up and wasn’t allowing the fluid to flow through. Thought it took care of the problem. And I did go to the dealership for the brake line swelling recall long before this. Since that I saw improvement. But my car still shakes a little bit so I bought hub centric rings, thinking that would help. And it did help a little too. But while driving to work one day, I noticed the same awful shake when driving 60+ mph and coming to a stop at 60+ mph. So I got my wheels and tires rebalanced, and it made the shakes not as bad, but I still feel it. I’m thinking it could be my alignment since I’ve been holding off on that since I lowered my car? I took it back to the same mechanic and he thought everything was okay. Nothing seemed wrong to him when he drove it. I also saw that on the note (that the brakes were fine) when I got my wheels and tires rebalanced at les schwab. I’m thinking it could also be warped rotors, but the rotors look fine and they’re new? I don’t know what to do? Is that just how it is when you get drilled and slotted rotors?
:unsure: You are holding off on alignment because you lowered your car?? That is one of the must-do's after lowering your car. Do that asap. I run R1 Concepts drilled and slotted with no problem as they are OE spec. I do recommend rear adjustable toe arms for camber/toe-in

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
:unsure: You are holding off on alignment because you lowered your car?? That is one of the must-do's after lowering your car. Do that asap. I run R1 Concepts drilled and slotted with no problem as they are OE spec. I do recommend rear adjustable toe arms for camber/toe-in
I was just waiting because I wanted to do more suspension upgrades first before getting an alignment. I wanted to do it all at once. But yeah, I’ll get it done. No more being a cheapskate.

·
ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
754 Posts
Have you moved the wheels front to back to see if the vibration moves or goes away? Just wanting to possibly isolate the issue.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza 5 dr. auto, limited
45 Posts
Is the shaking only under braking? If so, I'd want to make sure that the brakes/rotors were bed in properly. If not, may have accidentally built up material on the rotor causing an uneven braking surface.

Reactions: Rob209

·
Registered
788 Posts
I agree that moving the wheels from front to back is a good way to help diagnose if it's a wheel. If there's a problem wheel in the back, when it moves to the front it will be easier to feel the shaking through the steering wheel. I had a bent wheel that a local tire shop kept trying to balance without telling me it was bent. It looked like it had an excessive amount of weights added to it. My Subaru dealer discovered that it was bent when I had them rebalance my wheels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you moved the wheels front to back to see if the vibration moves or goes away? Just wanting to possibly isolate the issue.
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll try rotating my wheels and tires when I get the alignment done this week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the shaking only under braking? If so, I'd want to make sure that the brakes/rotors were bed in properly. If not, may have accidentally built up material on the rotor causing an uneven braking surface.
No, it’s also while driving, not only braking. I did clean the surface of the rotors with brake cleaner before putting it on. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

·
ModFather
754 Posts
if you do that you won't know which did the fix but I guess if it's fixed that's the important thing.
I had a bent wheel that a local tire shop kept trying to balance without telling me it was bent. It looked like it had an excessive amount of weights added to it. My Subaru dealer discovered that it was bent when I had them rebalance my wheels.
This just happened to me. I got a second set of wheels for my car from a local guy. Recently when I took them to get the tires on, I removed the weights. One of the wheels had a ton of stick on weights, stacked in an area. After I had the tires installed I was told they did their best but one was bent. They said it wasn't' too bad but put it on the rear. Instead I took it to a place to have it fixed. They said it is fixable but they are still working on it...

·
Registered
788 Posts
"It's bent, stick it on the rear" seems to be the standard philosophy. The frustrating part is when the person doing the balancing doesn't tell you it's bent.

·
ModFather
754 Posts
I think the guy I got the wheels from, bought them with the intent to use but never did. I don't think he knew one was bent when he sold it to me. I had the tires installed at the dealership my son works at and they are pretty straight shooters. Glad they let me know, they marked the wheel that was bent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts