5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello! i just joined and my family and i have been looking for a 2017 in the base level trim with the CVT. most the dealers act like they can't work on price too much, but i was curious if anyone was able to negotiate the price down at all? i realize i'm not going to get it super-cheap, but what's a good discount to go for?

thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Got mine below list / no haggle

I got my Impreza Premium for $1100 below list. My local Subaru dealer uses a "No Haggle" policy. A few other people in here got some good deals like that as well.

Something you might want to consider if your dealer is being stubborn. If you are not doing a trade-in, buy the Impreza though a different dealer and just have it shipped to yours. You're going to pay the destination fee either way, so it doesn't really matter which dealer cashes your check. I just picked up mine the other day and there are currently no rebates available. The only financing offer was 1.9%, but I just bought mine.

If you want my local dealers contact info, let me know.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would say just get quotes from a couple dealers and start playing the cards. Remember, you can always say no and walk out. Don't let them pressure you into believing anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A year ago I bought a '16 Outback and last month I bought a '17 Impreza. Both times I used the Costco system, got a quote from a dealer in the Costco system & took it to my nearby dealer who met the price. About $2,400 less than MSRP. Others have haggled, worked harder and no doubt gotten even better prices, but I'm just not interested in the effort.

I may have bought the first '17 Impreza from the dealer as they had just arrived, and they had just what I was looking for in color and trim model. Lucky me. The Costco method has simply saved me time & money.

your mileage may vary

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's pretty cool, I tend to forget going the Costco route saves you a fair chunk for being a member. It's worth the try and something is always better than nothing and for the convenience, you really can't go wrong. But if you have all the time in the world, then I would go with the method above and try to fish around different dealerships, once they aren't owned by the same guy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I've been putting-off a new car purchase for a few years(my Toyota just crossed the 200k mark) because I dislike 'playing the game'. I know that's the only way to get a deal and- unfortunately- avoid being taken, but it's just so much work. The salespeople around here have already started with their classic lines like 'we can't keep these on the lot' so I've been thrust into battle!

I have a pretty specific model I want(sedan, no options except CVT, color not super-important but i do want the black cloth interior). I feel that if I have the dealers order it in for me, as they have offered, I'll have less negotiating power than if I 'stumble' across one on a lot- I check local inventories online frequently. So right now I'm just being patient until I see what I want in a 50 mile radius and then I'll move- the wife has already given her blessing so we're golden! I will look into that Costco idea also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Always wait to the end of the month when the dealers are hard up to make their quota so they can get their kick back bonuses from Subaru.
You will have more negotiating power. Keep in mind that this is a new model year so they are "selling themselves" (as the dealer will tell you).
Money talks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Remember when it comes to Costco acting as a auto broker, each individual dealership bargains their own price reduction. The Costco member price will be different per dealer.
I have been able to get one dealer down to $22,767. The next best price I found was $22, 819.
But remember you get a $200 coupon toward accessories and such from Costco. That could cut a remote start system in half.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know if you would comfortable with this but I was able to negotiate over text messaging. I bought a 17 Impreza Sport fully loaded with everything but the highest speaker system (moonroof, eyesight detection, rear breaking, etc) that was listed at $26,600. I originally offered $24,000 and ended up paying $24,600. I didn't have a trade in. The text messaging kept it completely unemotional and gave me time to think about what I wanted to say.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's pretty legit, I haven't known anyone to do the negotiations over text message but I can see how that would take a lot of the stress out of it. But I do agree that if they have to order it in, you may lose a fair bit of your negotiation "ammunition".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The texting idea is great! I'm going to test-drive one as soon as I get some free time. The radio issue scares me a little, but I'm sure Subaru will issue a fix for it soon.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't know if you would comfortable with this but I was able to negotiate over text messaging. I bought a 17 Impreza Sport fully loaded with everything but the highest speaker system (moonroof, eyesight detection, rear breaking, etc) that was listed at $26,600. I originally offered $24,000 and ended up paying $24,600. I didn't have a trade in. The text messaging kept it completely unemotional and gave me time to think about what I wanted to say.
It's going to be different from one situation to the other but I like to do negotiations in person or over the phone since you can work those emotions to your advantage, usually when you hear certain things in their voice you'll know how and when to act on things. Oh and the best is when they unintentionally promise or mention things that give you some leverage you never knew existed ;)

It's a deal war out here.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Forever a deal war. But I do see what your saying about the emotions working for you instead. Maybe they really want to make a sale and you can hear the plea in their voice. Exploit their emotions... exploit them!

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is starting to sound a little evil... :|

But I still try to maintain the never take the first offer rule. Even if you have to walk out and go somewhere else. Find competing dealerships and exploit that as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's not evil, just getting the best deal we can and they're still going to make a profit from us. The email method works and you have a sort of paper trail on the agreed pricing from whoever won your business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was able to get a 2017 2.0i for 20k even. There was not much wiggle room on the price but the dealer did come up on my trade to $3600 to seal the deal. It was in need of a new cat converter, so I was ok with getting that amount. The dealership stated there was more wiggle room on outbacks, but they were well out of my budget.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's not bad at all. Although everyone says that you'll get more out of selling privately (obvious) a lot of times, at least for me, it just isn't feasible. I don't have the time nor the patience to deal with tire kickers and people haggling and what not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got my Premium for $1000 under invoice. MSRP was $24,536 and I got it for $22,075.

I thought the end of December would be the ideal time to get my best deal. I was wrong. Every dealer I went to was packed with people thinking the same thing I guess. Some places I left without ever getting helped and others took over 20 minutes. I then started emailing dealers and not one got back to me. Best deal I had at that time was $500 off msrp. I gave up trying on Dec 31.

On Jan 3rd 3pm, looking at a dealer's site, they had the exact model/package I wanted so on a lark I hit the request quote button not expecting any answer. They called me minutes later and their first offer was $1000 under invoice. I was so stunned by the offer I accepted without negotiating.

Apparently I found out that Jan 3rd 6pm was the end of the year closing time for Subaru. I guess they wanted one more sale for the year and gave me an excellent quote.

Moral of the story is to wait until Jan 3rd. Not sure if it's always like that but certainly the end of December didn't work for me at all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jeeze, I thought I got a good deal by getting $500 under invoice from using Consumer Reports TrueCar Estimate. Perhaps I should have pushed harder!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts