5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I drove my car off the lot I've been driving using the paddle shifters city driving and not that much on the highways unless I gear down to pass traffic. I feel that it adds to the joy of driving this car, cruising on windy roads is a breeze, I have a sport model and that torque vectoring is amazing, my friends even compliment on how smooth turns are. To top it off, since I did my muffler delete on my car the sound and droning going on in D is horrific, makes it easier for me to stay in M.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe during the break-in period, use of paddle shifters are not recommended and therefore I haven't used them on the Impreza. I do have an Outback with paddle shifters and have started using them in manual mode quite often. It adds a tiny bit of driver engagement. I have an Honda Insight and recently figured out that it is mor fun to drive in the S gear than in the D gear. Since it has a CVT transmission, the S gear is simply a different set of shifting points. The transmission feels smoother and The car gets more instant torque due to the hybrid motor. I am so sorry I digressed from the Impreza but just want to share how I have tried to make driving slow cars a little more fun without spending a dime.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Ever since I drove my car off the lot I've been driving using the paddle shifters city driving and not that much on the highways unless I gear down to pass traffic. I feel that it adds to the joy of driving this car, cruising on windy roads is a breeze, I have a sport model and that torque vectoring is amazing, my friends even compliment on how smooth turns are. To top it off, since I did my muffler delete on my car the sound and droning going on in D is horrific, makes it easier for me to stay in M.
Yeah your not meant to use the paddle shifters during the break in period, but I use them quite a lot now, but I'm just over 16k miles. I have found that when taking off in "1", I let the rpms go to the 4 mark, change to "2", go to 4 mark again & so on, there's way more power. I hardly use on the highway unless traffic slows way down. Mostly city, winding/hilly or if someone is tailgating I refuse to use the brakes just use the paddle shifters to slow down drives them nuts lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know about the paddle shifter rule till i was about 1000km in, got the car in February. Currently have 7000km.

The difference with the muffler delete has a bit more torque in those rpm range :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you get faster acceleration using the shifters? My car is only at 2,600k and I've only briefly messed with these so far.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I hardly touch them, although there have been a few times where I have used them so I can punch it for a clearing in traffic.

I don't know that they'll make you long for driving a manual, and I say that as someone whose previous car of 12 years was a manual.

Nothing quite replaces executing that perfect shift, or rev match, or heel-toe, and the feeling of the stick slipping in to place.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
To me they are a gimmick and I don't use them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I often drive down a long steep snowy, icy mountain highway. When I had a standard, I'd put it in 3rd to have the clutch breaking. I had a RAV4 with a reg auto and a manual option and I'd use that. Last week I used the paddles for the first time. I guess because of the CVT it has more gears. I think I mostly used 3 and 4 to go slower without breaking a lot. It worked. Sounded and felt a little different-- less clutch grabby, but that may be because of the CVT.

Seems like around 5000 miles my Impreza suddenly got almost normal pick up on mountain highways. Also I'm using high test which helps.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Seems like around 5000 miles my Impreza suddenly got almost normal pick up on mountain highways. Also I'm using high test which helps.
Anything more than 87 octane is a waste of your money. The car performs no differently on 91 or 93 than it does on 87.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Anything more than 87 octane is a waste of your money. The car performs no differently on 91 or 93 than it does on 87.
Honestly, I see this statement being made so often without proof behind it. Some manufacturers program the computers to advance timing if the fuel can handle it without causing knock. Additional timing does result in more power. I'm not saying this is true for the Impreza but without having data on degrees timing advance between the different grades, you can't say it does or doesn't add power.

Edit: If someone does have a good data logger - I'd really, really love to see whether timing is being advanced on higher grades.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Honestly, I see this statement being made so often without proof behind it. Some manufacturers program the computers to advance timing if the fuel can handle it without causing knock. Additional timing does result in more power. I'm not saying this is true for the Impreza but without having data on degrees timing advance between the different grades, you can't say it does or doesn't add power.

Edit: If someone does have a good data logger - I'd really, really love to see whether timing is being advanced on higher grades.
No data, but my 16 Outback 2.5 seems to be a bit peppier on mid grade and higher fuels especially in winter

·
Registered
45 Posts
Securityguy is right. The timing is never advanced due to fuel grade...too dangerous, it works the other way. Todays' engines are optimized to run on a particular fuel...in this case 87 octane. In case preignition occurs, the timing is retarded to protect the engine.

There is no benefit running any vehicle on fuel it was not designed to use. If a vehicle was designed to run on higher octane fuel then yes, use of the higher octane fuel will allow the engine to use the optimum settings to maximize power and performance. However, if you put in lower octane fuel then the knock sensor will detect any preignition and retard the timing to prevent engine damage. With a vehicle designed for 87 octane the timing is not advanced under any circumstances. The computer/feedback systems are just not designed this way.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Securityguy is right. The timing is never advanced due to fuel grade...too dangerous, it works the other way. Todays' engines are optimized to run on a particular fuel...in this case 87 octane. In case preignition occurs, the timing is retarded to protect the engine.

There is no benefit running any vehicle on fuel it was not designed to use. If a vehicle was designed to run on higher octane fuel then yes, use of the higher octane fuel will allow the engine to use the optimum settings to maximize power and performance. However, if you put in lower octane fuel then the knock sensor will detect any preignition and retard the timing to prevent engine damage. With a vehicle designed for 87 octane the timing is not advanced under any circumstances. The computer/feedback systems are just not designed this way.
Never is a hard absolute. I have personally spoken to an ECU engineer and he confirmed that, although not a widespread practice, some manufacturers allow SOME of their engines to advance beyond baseline. The topic specifically was why would a manufacturer specify 87 for a high compression engine that needs to pull tons of timing to not ping but that's neither here nor there (or is it :wink2:). The Honda J30A1 in the 6th gen accord is one example that was dyno proven somewhere out on the interwebs (I know - take it fwiw) to have a 4-5% gain. It won't be to the extent that a custom tune would but a little advance over baseline is safely possible. It's why ECUs have "learn" time and why one of the recommendations for rough running on winter gas is to disconnect the battery so the ECU relearns the baseline.

This has really gone off topic so let's kill it here. I promise not to reply anymore :smile2:.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts