5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2018 hatchback base model and it has the basic halogen lights. I have trouble seeing and need something brighter. I know theres a thread on a LED conversion, but has anyone used HIDS?

If so, do you like them? Do you have a link to where you bought them? And do you have pics?

Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm running xenondepot.com HIDs (the extreme kit). They aren't the cheapest but I trust them for longevity and durability - I have a set on my pilot that's about 7 years old now and they never gave me any issues. They fire right up and at the exact same time which means that the components are high quality.

The Impreza's focusing of the HIDs is not as good as on my pilot. The cutoff is nice and sharp but there is definitely a bit of scatter. In NYC, our streets are fairly well lit so I haven't had anyone flash me but I really can't say how others would react outside of the city on roads that aren't lit.

The difference in spread and distance is night and day. That being said, I hope that one day someone does an OEM LED conversion with the limited's setup. The wiring harnesses are quite different and there's an extra module for the auto leveling somewhere towards the rear of the car I think so this isn't an easy task.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm looking towards swapping my halogens to the limited's setup but only if something happens to the OEM ones, like me hitting a deer. If I do eventually, I will let you guys know.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am 100% with VladSI. Xenondepot.com has some of the best lighting on-line. I used them for LED lighting on one of my cars and their HID kit for my 15 Legacy. Very pleased and long lasting product...well built. Highly recommend the HID over the LED. I only buy cars with LED headlights now so these kits don't serve me any purpose any longer.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a concern about putting an LED or HID bulb in the factory halogen reflector housing. There are a lot of good discussions on here and on other forums about how this is not soemthing that should be done due to light distribution/hot spots as well as blinding other drivers

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
@ab815...that is correct as the housings were designed for a standard halogen bulb. However, with that being said, the output of the HID in my 15 Legacy was near perfect and never an issue. Buy a good quality bulb or HID kit and you should be fine. There are a ton of folks doing this mod every day without issue.

·
Registered
295 Posts
@ab815...that is correct as the housings were designed for a standard halogen bulb. However, with that being said, the output of the HID in my 15 Legacy was near perfect and never an issue. Buy a good quality bulb or HID kit and you should be fine. There are a ton of folks doing this mod every day without issue.
"should be fine" concerns me, lol. With the HID I can see but the LED I cannot. The halogen bulb emits light 360 deg and the reflector housing (hence the name) is optimised to take advantage of that and send light downrange. LED bulbs have light coming from one source on each side of the bulb so by design you would have "dead spots" for the frame/housing. HID does the same 360 degree lighting, however why is it that a retrofit has a lens on it but these kits do not?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I highly recommend HID over LED as a retrofit for headlights for the reasons above.
Interesting that you say that. I reached out to Xenondepot.com (referenced in the #2 post) and they said the exact opposite.

What I sent to them was "I am very interested in converting my factory halogen lights to LED or HID, however in forums I have read horror stories about converting without changing the factory reflector housing. Are your lights designed to compensate for this?"

Their answer: "Thanks for reaching out to us. You can install an LED or HID conversion kit in a vehicle with a reflector-type housing, but you would get much better results from a projector-type housing, generally speaking. The HID and LED bulbs we sell are designed to give you the same beam pattern of light you get from the original halogens, but they will be much brighter. The light is still going to behave in the same way, so going with HIDs in a reflector can give you a lot of glare and really annoy incoming traffic. We would typically recommend LED kits for reflector housings as a more manageable light upgrade.

You can see our 2017 Subaru Impreza Lighting Guide to look at options: http://www.xenondepot.com/2017-impreza-hid-headlight-kit-bulbs-s/35013.htm."

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
That is very interesting. Now my personal experience is with the Subaru Legacy and not the 2017-18 Impreza. I have the OEM LED lighting on my Limited and have never paid attention to the lighting on the base or premium models. With my Legacy, based on my high activity on several Subaru forums, the owner of XD contacted me and shared how much better the HID setup was and sent me a set at cost to install and comment on after I had had my LED bulbs from them for about 6 months which were very high quality and performed very well. After installing the HID kit, the light output was stronger and the beam pattern much better and no issues with glare or affecting on-coming drivers. If the reflector housing in the Impreza is just that with no projector-style housing for the bulb, what was stated above makes more sense.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I never played with LED bulbs in any of my cars but, if I'm interpreting the response correctly, what they are saying is that all reflector housings are setup for glare. Halogen bulbs are dimmer so it's much less of an issue but if you replace with a bulb that has a higher output, the natural tendency for glare in a reflector is more pronounced. Since LEDs output on a horizontal plane, tendency to glare on the vertical plane is reduced. HIDs have 360 degree output just like the halogens so they would have the worst glare. Again, there's interpretation going on so I could be wrong but I think it makes logical sense.

FWIW, my Acura has FACTORY reflector HIDs and they do have a bit of glare/scatter even though the reflector was designed for it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If the reflector housing in the Impreza is just that with no projector-style housing for the bulb, what was stated above makes more sense.
I think you hit the nail on the head there, they were not made to upgrade. When I get the kids off the school bus today i will snap a pic of the housing and you can make the judgement for yourself

1 - 20 of 21 Posts