5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Impreza members,
I have been trying to sell my 2017 Impreza Premium with 39k over the past month at $15k in excellent condition and it was a Subaru Certified Car, too. No interest on Craigslist, Cars.com, Autotrader. So, I ended up trading it in for $14k at the dealership, and given the lack of interest in my local market, I thought that it was a fair enough deal. Has anyone else experienced difficulty reselling?

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
164 Posts
I haven't been trying to sell mine to be honest, so I can't say one way or another. I bought mine with plans to drive it until it's totally dead since it's such a good/inexpensive commuter car.

Wonder if the color you got makes it less appealing for buyers? I personally like that color, but I ended up going with a safer choice: silver.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't been trying to sell mine to be honest, so I can't say one way or another. I bought mine with plans to drive it until it's totally dead since it's such a good/inexpensive commuter car.

Wonder if the color you got makes it less appealing for buyers? I personally like that color, but I ended up going with a safer choice: silver.
Yea, you might be right with the colour being not everyone’s cup of tea. The other thing too is the lack of many ammenities which is why I traded it in. I don’t really know. I just checked with the dealership that has the car and they haven’t been able to unload it either in the past three weeks at $15.9k. I was under the impression that resale was very good on these cars, but in my case, not to be. Might be the economy, too.

·
Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
164 Posts
Where do you live? I imagine in some parts of the country Subarus sell like crazy. Yesterday I was in Boulder County Colorado for something and in the 7 cars immediately surrounding me, 4 were subarus lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You maybe right too that these cars are more appealing in certain areas of the country. I live in urban area with little need for AWD so it too might explain the lack of interest. My local Subaru offered me only $12k with their trade up program so I went with another dealership brand.

·
Registered
2017 Impreza 5DR Limited (CVT) w/ES & NAV
43 Posts
Well, I've had my 2017 Limited w/22K for sale for a while without any takers. The dealership offered 16K, which is less than my payoff. I may just end up keeping it, only have ~2.5 years before it's paid for.

I'm also near Las Vegas, plenty of Subarus around here...

·
Premium Member
2017 Mazda CX-5 Sport
2,186 Posts
I think I had 35k on my 2017 Sport model five door. I got 15k for it as a trade in on my Mazda.

If you got 14k for a Premium I would say that is fair.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Another factor is that private sales are harder if the buyer doesn't have the money saved up. Banks are less willing to do loans for purchasing from private sellers than from dealerships.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thus past April the wife and I bought our 2 new cars an Impreza and a Toyota CHR, awesome deals during the lockdowns. We are keeping these vehicles for at least a few years after payoff, car notes suck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another factor is that private sales are harder if the buyer doesn't have the money saved up. Banks are less willing to do loans for purchasing from private sellers than from dealerships.
Very True, when I sold my last car, I found that it's difficult to sell a car priced over 10k as a private seller. The car is still for sale at the dealership that I traded it in HERE. Looks like they just had a price drop too on it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Very True, when I sold my last car, I found that it's difficult to sell a car priced over 10k as a private seller. The car is still for sale at the dealership that I traded it in HERE. Looks like they just had a price drop too on it.
Agree 100%
It's actually best if possible to keep the car at least 8-10 years to get at least a few years of note free usage and easier to sell later at the lower price point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The color looks great. It's what I'm going for when I finally purchase an impreza. The only part that I wouldn't have gone for was the hatchback. I live in a big city where if you have an exposed trunk it makes it a prime target for idiots to break in even if you don't have anything in the trunk. Otherwise, your car looks great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@rburke I wonder if it might have been a good idea to advertise your Impreza for sale on this forum in the Marketplace section - did you try that?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Agree 100%
It's actually best if possible to keep the car at least 8-10 years to get at least a few years of note free usage and easier to sell later at the lower price point.
And keep making your car payment into a separate bank account after the car is paid off, in 8-10 years you might have enough saved to buy the next New car in cash. Once I eliminated car payments I used the extra money to pay off my mortgage 8 years early. I know, I do sound like a crazy man.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you play it right, with the correct down payment and initial purchase cost. You can upgrade every three years and actually lower your payments.

We are on our third Impreza, and each one was an upgrade from the past, our current sport payments are the lowest they’ve ever been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you play it right, with the correct down payment and initial purchase cost. You can upgrade every three years and actually lower your payments.
My father in law worked out something similar over the past few decades and now gets new trucks for free-ish. He started off with a hefty down payment on a Chevy truck (he worked for GM at the time, big discount) and every few years he trades it in while it still has value. So his trade-in was often worth more than he owed by a lot. Trade it in and buy another Chevy with a mediocre down payment and drive off the lot with a paid-off truck... I am jealous of his ability to save money but not the fact it's a Chevy truck. C'Mon Cybertruck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ironically, I received an email trade in offer directly from Subaru today for my old Impreza. It's mentions "high demand" and I'm sure that maybe the case in some places but not what I experienced. The dealership were I traded in my car still has in on the lot now and it's been almost a month. BTW: the buyback offer is about a 45% drop in three years compared to the MSRP of my old car.

Black Book Value
$10,440
Our Buyback Offer
$12,440

We are in need of 2017 Impreza's because they are in high demand. We are prepared to make you an aggressive offer to purchase this vehicle from you whether you are trading or not. You can take the cash and walk away or trade up to a new 2020/2021 Subaru! It's your choice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The best method for getting the most for your money is keeping a new car for 10-12 years, a 10 year old Impreza that is kept in good shape will bring in at least 6k-8k on the used market...
Trading in a car too early is a waste of money, modern vehicles last longer than ever.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Six weeks later after my trade-in and still for sale at the dealership with a second price drop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts