5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a lightly used set on eBay and had to get them installed right away. I took pictures so I could do a write-up.

Important note: You must have the auto-dimming rear view mirror in order for the side mirrors to dim.

OEM Part numbers: J201SFL002, J201SFL003 (the latter number is the most current)

Stock mirror:

Tape off around the mirror to protect it from the edge of the glass or from tools. I also turned the mirror out to be more accessible.

Move the mirror in towards the car. You can see the white plastic base that the mirror attaches to. You want to get a flat head screwdriver up to that base and get the edge between the base and the mirror. Then you want to turn the screwdriver like you would removing a screw to pry it off the base. This should come off easy. If it seems hard, you are probably doing something wrong.

Once the mirror pops off, remove the heated mirror connectors (make a note of which one goes where) and locate the foam tape in the corner. Remove this tape to expose the factory connectors for the additional mirror features. There is a cover that is on the ends of these additional connectors. Remove this.

On the new mirror, plug in the heating element connections as well as the additional plugs and position into place. This is very easy as they are color coded. There is a long metal tab provided in the set that goes into a slot in the back of the mirror. This will need to be installed before mounting. It goes into a pocket next to the mirror base. If your mirrors came with a little packet of grease, grease it now. (Side note: One of my mirrors had this, but the other did not. Both of the replacement mirrors did)

Carefully line up the base with the mirror, checking to make sure no wires get pinched and firmly press back on. This might take a couple of tries before you get the proper force.

Test the function before moving to the other side or before removing the tape.

The other side installs the same way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the write up! I actually will be doing this pretty soon. Any idea if a model without heated mirrors will have the wire harness on the mirror?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the write up! I actually will be doing this pretty soon. Any idea if a model without heated mirrors will have the wire harness on the mirror?
I have no idea. They might all be wired the same for ease of manufacturing, but you won't know until you pop one off and see for yourself.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did this when within days of getting my Impreza and, while it's cool, it's only functional for the rear doors. I really wish they did this differently so that the areas in front of both doors are illuminated.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
228 Posts
cool beans, do you have a part number by any chance or official part name?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Cool thanks, when I saw auto dimming at first I thought it was the outside auto dimming only, this is kind of like puddle lights which I always liked.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Are these also heated, like the originals?
If not, I guess it's a tradeoff with the anti-glare and approach light functionality.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My Imp. has the dimming mirrors. Being a BASE model, the heating switch does not exist on the dash.... hence, no heated mirrors.

Are these also heated, like the originals?
YES! The dimming mirrors themselves have heaters.... but your car needs to have the requisite wiring and switches to supply the power.

·
Registered
342 Posts
YES! The dimming mirrors themselves have heaters.... but your car needs to have the requisite wiring and switches to supply the power.
Ok, cool. I have a premium hatch with heated side mirrors, so these should be plug and play.
Thanks!

·
Registered
434 Posts
My Imp. has the dimming mirrors. Being a BASE model, the heating switch does not exist on the dash.... hence, no heated mirrors.

There isn’t a separate switch for the mirrors. It’s the rear defroster switch that turns them on. Your car should have heated mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
There isn’t a separate switch for the mirrors. It’s the rear defroster switch that turns them on. Your car should have heated mirrors.
i am pretty sure the switch is different and there is a seperate relay, fuse, and circuit for the mirrors. When compared to switch that heats the mirrors, my rear defroster switch has a different 'picture' on it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
There isn’t a separate switch for them. I’ve had three Imprezas. All of them turn on the heated mirrors with the rear defroster button. Same with almost every other vehicle.

Can’t imagine yours would have the dimming function without the heated function.

·
Registered
2020 Sport 5 door CVT
12 Posts
So, adding some clarity here: atleast for the 2020 Impreza, the base model does not include the All Weather Package, which itself includes heated exterior mirrors .... all other models, Premium, Sport, and Limited do include this feature ....

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've had outbacks and maybe a forester with a separate switch strictly for the heated mirrors but not in this Impreza for me anyway.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My bad, about the switch. It IS the same but there are two logos on it rear window and mirror. My other vehicles it’s just the rear defroster logo.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My bad, about the switch. It IS the same but there are two logos on it rear window and mirror. My other vehicles it’s just the rear defroster logo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts