5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I read in the owner's manual for my 2017 Impreza hatchback (keyless entry with push-button start) that
When you close the door, doors will automatically lock and the system will automatically arm in 30 seconds. (p. 2-28)​
I understand that doesn't suit everybody (there seem to be some flame wars on the subject) but it would work well for my usage. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case. I left my car hundreds of feet away for several minutes and it was still unlocked when I came back :( Reading more carefully, I see it only applies if you close the doors after arming the system manually.

So, my question is: Is there a way to setup auto-locking? ...so I can walk away from the car and the doors lock automatically after a short delay?

Thanks, Rik

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi, I read in the owner's manual for my 2017 Impreza hatchback (keyless entry with push-button start) that
When you close the door, doors will automatically lock and the system will automatically arm in 30 seconds. (p. 2-28)​
I understand that doesn't suit everybody (there seem to be some flame wars on the subject) but it would work well for my usage. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case. I left my car hundreds of feet away for several minutes and it was still unlocked when I came back :( Reading more carefully, I see it only applies if you close the doors after arming the system manually.

So, my question is: Is there a way to setup auto-locking? ...so I can walk away from the car and the doors lock automatically after a short delay?

Thanks, Rik
I have not experienced this. I have left my vehicle unlocked & it has never locked automatically. You could just press the lock button on your key fob lol. You could also download the mysubaru app & sign up for "Subaru Starlink Remote Services" so you can lock, unlock, locate vehicle & more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i'm a little confused how the door sensors work. When I return to the locked car, the doors will unlock as I approach, even without putting my finger on the handle, just reaching for it. Slick. But when I get out of the car, putting my finger on the handle doesn't immediately lock the car. It seems to take five seconds or so. I usually am doing a dance to bring the fob in my pocket within range, although it is probably just a time not range. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think you are reading about, and referring to the alarm system.
The doors do not lock automatically. You can lock them either the fob from the outside, or push the central locking button after you get in.

I asked the dealer about this when I bought our Limited. According to him, while other manufacturers see more security by locking the doors as you drive off, Subaru sees more security in being able to exit the car quickly if you need to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I asked the dealer about this when I bought our Limited. According to him, while other manufacturers see more security by locking the doors as you drive off, Subaru sees more security in being able to exit the car quickly if you need to.
Dealer's will lie about anything and everything to you, and this is no different. My old focus had auto-locking doors, and when you pulled the interior handle with the door locked it opened right up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i'm a little confused how the door sensors work. When I return to the locked car, the doors will unlock as I approach, even without putting my finger on the handle, just reaching for it. Slick. But when I get out of the car, putting my finger on the handle doesn't immediately lock the car. It seems to take five seconds or so. I usually am doing a dance to bring the fob in my pocket within range, although it is probably just a time not range. Is this the way it is supposed to be?
For keyless entry equipped cars:
There is an option (either in your infotainment system, or the main console) to choose, when you approach the car, to have the doors unlocked, OR just turn on the dome lights.

to unlock, you just pull the door handle twice or push the trunk release twice, as long as you have the key fob on you - holding or in a pocket. The driver side handle will unlock the driver's door only, the passenger side will unlock all doors. On the key fob it will do the same if you press unlock once (driver side), or twice (all doors).

to lock without using the fob - put your finger on the 2 grooves engraved on the door handle. it will take a couple of seconds then the doors will lock.

·
Registered
730 Posts
For keyless entry equipped cars:
There is an option (either in your infotainment system, or the main console) to choose, when you approach the car, to have the doors unlocked, OR just turn on the dome lights.

to unlock, you just pull the door handle twice or push the trunk release twice, as long as you have the key fob on you - holding or in a pocket. The driver side handle will unlock the driver's door only, the passenger side will unlock all doors. On the key fob it will do the same if you press unlock once (driver side), or twice (all doors).

to lock without using the fob - put your finger on the 2 grooves engraved on the door handle. it will take a couple of seconds then the doors will lock.
I think you meant: to unlock, you place your finger on the inside of the door handle until you hear the beeping sound or hold the trunk release button. Depending on which settings you select on the infotainment system, all doors can be unlocked via the drivers door, passenger door or trunk. The button on the right side of the trunk can also lock all doors.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For my car, I figured out that to lock the cars, I need to place my finger on the two lines on the driver or front passenger door handle. It is mentioned in the manual. To unlock, just touching the handle unlocks it. My car has the keyless start feature.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts