5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - I installed and have been using the nameless 5” quad exhaust on my 2021 Impreza base hatch. I am noticing that 2.5-3.5k rpm has a ton of mid pipe vibration. It vibrates through the cabin and definitely hurts everyone’s ears in the car. I have checked for leaks on the axle back and haven’t noticed anything. I also don’t notice the exhaust rubbing on the frame. Please let me know if you have any thoughts and suggestions to narrow this down. My next thought it to check if the resonator is working properly! I also want to note that I love the sound coming out the back, it’s just sounds terrible if I stick my head about halfway under the car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If it's all tight and nothings rubbing you may be experiencing a genuine effect of that exhaust... Iv never owned one but they seem to be used for a while then pop back fs for SOME reason...

If you can't see a reason for it to be loud, maybe an additional resonator would calm it down for you. I went for a magnaflow personally and it was half the size of the oem muffler... The 5 inch is half that again :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Everyone - I installed and have been using the nameless 5” quad exhaust on my 2021 Impreza base hatch. I am noticing that 2.5-3.5k rpm has a ton of mid pipe vibration. It vibrates through the cabin and definitely hurts everyone’s ears in the car. I have checked for leaks on the axle back and haven’t noticed anything. I also don’t notice the exhaust rubbing on the frame. Please let me know if you have any thoughts and suggestions to narrow this down. My next thought it to check if the resonator is working properly!
If it's all tight and nothings rubbing you may be experiencing a genuine effect of that exhaust... Iv never owned one but they seem to be used for a while then pop back fs for SOME reason...

If you can't see a reason for it to be loud, maybe an additional resonator would calm it down for you. I went for a magnaflow personally and it was half the size of the oem muffler... The 5 inch is half that again :)
I liked the look of the quad exit, but do you have a video of your in cabin sound on your current setup? Also how does it look with the magma flow?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To anyone else with this issue, I called nameless and they let me know it’s an issue with the CVT and their quad setup. The fix is to install a noise cancelling Duramatt under the spare tire on the sheet metal. Then wrap the tire with cloth or carpet from there. It’s still loud but it doesn’t drone nearly as bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey so im guessing you have the stock midpipe. Mine was the same, but when i went to nameless midpipe with 5 inch res and the 5 inch axle back the 2.5-3/5k rattle droning is pretty much gone. Still an expensive fix imo since thats like $500. If you dont wanna go that route i suggest selling your 5 inch and buying the 10 inch exhaust they just started making (unless you love the quad tip that much).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey so im guessing you have the stock midpipe. Mine was the same, but when i went to nameless midpipe with 5 inch res and the 5 inch axle back the 2.5-3/5k rattle droning is pretty much gone. Still an expensive fix imo since thats like $500. If you dont wanna go that route i suggest selling your 5 inch and buying the 10 inch exhaust they just started making (unless you love the quad tip that much).
hey man I do have the stock midpipe, do you also have the CVT and could you post a video of the 2.5-3.5k rpm cabin sound? Im willing to make the purchase if I need to. When I asked the sales guy at nameless he said it would make it worse so I’m curious to know your opinion on that!

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey man I do have the stock midpipe, do you also have the CVT and could you post a video of the 2.5-3.5k rpm cabin sound? Im willing to make the purchase if I need to. When I asked the sales guy at nameless he said it would make it worse so I’m curious to know your opinion on that!
sure, mines going to sound different because im running a pop tune above 3k though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I took a trip from Chicago to Denver in my car, the nameless 5 inch exhaust made my car vibrate inside slightly more. But when I got back to Chicago, it stopped making the noise.

So idk if because you are at a certain elevation, it is making harmonic vibrations which the nameless exhaust developers didn’t account for . Just a guess since I had more drone and vibration in my cabin at Denver elevation .

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I took a trip from Chicago to Denver in my car, the nameless 5 inch exhaust made my car vibrate inside slightly more. But when I got back to Chicago, it stopped making the noise.

So idk if because you are at a certain elevation, it is making harmonic vibrations which the nameless exhaust developers didn’t account for . Just a guess since I had more drone and vibration in my cabin at Denver elevation .
It happens to me regardless of elevation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i suggest selling your 5 inch and buying the 10 inch exhaust they just started making (unless you love the quad tip that much).
The Nameless exhaust are made to be order, if someone wanted the quad tip with a ten inch muffler they would build it like that. Someone on the forum has a nameless 8" by request.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Everyone - I installed and have been using the nameless 5” quad exhaust on my 2021 Impreza base hatch. I am noticing that 2.5-3.5k rpm has a ton of mid pipe vibration. It vibrates through the cabin and definitely hurts everyone’s ears in the car. I have checked for leaks on the axle back and haven’t noticed anything. I also don’t notice the exhaust rubbing on the frame. Please let me know if you have any thoughts and suggestions to narrow this down. My next thought it to check if the resonator is working properly! I also want to note that I love the sound coming out the back, it’s just sounds terrible if I stick my head about halfway under the car.
Exhaust systems are a delicate balancing act. Not for the faint of heart. As a general rule if you change something on the back end of the system—after the engine—you have to change something on the front end.

Up until the 5th Gen, Subaru put two intake plenum chambers in the engine compartment to make the flat-fours quieter. Plenum chamber disrupts the intake air vibration. When they built the 5th Gen they were trying to do anything they could to keep the costs down. So the built the car with one plenum. During testing they happily discovered that with one chamber the engine had a throatier sound in paddle shifter mode and was quieter in CVT mode.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts