5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - is it possible to add the sport CVT features to a base. Specifically I am looking for the ability to “shift gears” even though there are no actual gears, I’m aware of the ability to hold the CVT at certain RPMs to mimic gear shifts.
Let me know if there is any way to do this as I’m so tired of having RPMs stuck to 1-2k.

· Registered
228 Posts
Frankly the only use I have for the 'manual' mode of my Sport CVT is to downshift for engine braking when going downhill, which can also be done on the base CVT by putting it into 'L' mode.

If you need to rev your engine above 2k, just step harder on the accelerator.

2020 model year and newer Impreza's come with SI-Drive which will provide better revving characteristics when put into S mode, which is probably what you're looking for rather than manual shifting.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frankly the only use I have for the 'manual' mode of my Sport CVT is to downshift for engine braking when going downhill, which can also be done on the base CVT by putting it into 'L' mode.

2020 model year and newer Impreza's come with SI-Drive which will provide better revving characteristics when put into S mode, which is probably what you're looking for rather than manual shifting.
Exactly, but realistically it would be for fun sounds out of my exhaust!

· Registered
804 Posts
Frankly the only use I have for the 'manual' mode of my Sport CVT is to downshift for engine braking when going downhill,
AGREED!! The 'downshift' paddle has some use to save the brakes on long downhills (or creeping down a hill in the snow)

Other than that, I find paddles are pretty useless.

· Registered
719 Posts
No there is only Drive and Low, but I have no control other than that, which is what I’d like.
Well, that sucks. I thought that they had a "+/-" position where you'd press up for upshift, down for downshift, like some other vehicles have.

As for the paddles, I often use them for downgrades as a quick over-ride, and they also work well for a downshift for passing or for upcoming steep grades. In severe winter conditions, I often drive in full manual mode.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, that sucks. I thought that they had a "+/-" position where you'd press up for upshift, down for downshift, like some other vehicles have.

As for the paddles, I often use them for downgrades as a quick over-ride, and they also work well for a downshift for passing or for upcoming steep grades. In severe winter conditions, I often drive in full manual mode.
It indeed does suck. If anyone has ideas on aftermarket ways to accomplish this goal, either through the main shifter or paddle, let me know!

· Registered
2021 Subaru Impreza 5-Door Sport 5MT
582 Posts
Hey all - is it possible to add the sport CVT features to a base. Specifically I am looking for the ability to “shift gears” even though there are no actual gears, I’m aware of the ability to hold the CVT at certain RPMs to mimic gear shifts.
Let me know if there is any way to do this as I’m so tired of having RPMs stuck to 1-2k.
Anything is possible. Its the same CVT. You'd likely need a new steering wheel, shifter assembly, TCM, combination meters and any related harness which makes it all work together.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anything is possible. Its the same CVT. You'd likely need a new steering wheel, shifter assembly, TCM, combination meters and any related harness which makes it all work together.
Paddle shifters are not a must here, but for “gear selection” using the shifter boot would be ideal. With this I need a new Traction Control?? I know the harness would be necessary.

· Registered
582 Posts
Paddle shifters are not a must here, but for “gear selection” using the shifter boot would be ideal. With this I need a new Traction Control?? I know the harness would be necessary.
Traction control is based on the ABS system. Shouldn't be a contributor but I'm not 100% on that without looking at BIU integration.

· Registered
582 Posts
Thank you for the feedback, I’m thinking this may be a potentially out of scope in comparison to a trade in.
I wish the cars were like older Subaru's. Those things were like legos.

· Registered
414 Posts
Engine Braking? There's nothing like a real hydraulic transmission when it comes to down shifting, that is in an automatic. The CVT does too good of a job matching the engine RPM to give any benefit to engine braking. I found down shifting to be boring an compltly useless. The other thing when in manual mode, you can not get to overdrive. It's 1-6 only. Well in mine it is. 7th seems like it's overdrive and can only be achieved in Auto mode.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone tried out this from S/I drive auto kit and does it work for base models?

· Registered
354 Posts
Engine Braking? There's nothing like a real hydraulic transmission when it comes to down shifting, that is in an automatic. The CVT does too good of a job matching the engine RPM to give any benefit to engine braking. I found down shifting to be boring an compltly useless. The other thing when in manual mode, you can not get to overdrive. It's 1-6 only. Well in mine it is. 7th seems like it's overdrive and can only be achieved in Auto mode.
I can get to 7 in manual mode in both my Legacy and Impreza.

· Registered
354 Posts

I use manual mode on short trips to keep RPMs up so I can get oil temps up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts