5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
Sapphire Blue 2023 Base Sedan
8 Posts
I ordered a base model 23 Impreza sedan last July. Finally got it five weeks ago in December. After my whole experience, I think I would have liked to get the next trim-level up though... Here's the story....

When I ordered the car in July, I added auto-dimming rear + side mirrors, as well as all-weather mats. (I really didn't want any options but the saleswoman told me Subaru forces them to add 3-4 options to cars they sell. I don't believe that for a second but this was during "covid supply issues" so the dealerships had everyone by the balls. I got some options just to shut them up - figured auto-dimming mirrors would be more useful than the cargo tray they wanted me to spend a crap ton on, which I know I'll never use) Mid-way through November I asked for a remote car starter as well - turns out they install them at the Port of Boston rather than in the factory, so they could add that on for me before I get it. Not dissatisfied at this point in the story!

Ended up getting the car delivered in December. They had no mats for me (which annoyed me since they knew I would be needing them since I ordered the car in July) and the remote car starter has a faulty ECU, so 2 of the 4 options I asked for either didn't come or didn't work right. As of January 23rd, all they can tell me about the car starter is that it is on back-order and have no clue when I will get it. No discount or anything for the inconvenience, naturally. I ended up telling them to forget about giving me the mats, and to take it off my bill. Ended up ordering them from a dealership in Mass and got them within a week or so.

Anyways, I digress. After being upset about the car starter situation, I ended up reading that the Impreza Premium comes with the more advanced entertainment center/stereo thing which actually has a remote car starter feature that you can use with an app on your smartphone for a really cheap yearly subscription cost. So, reflecting on my experience with the 23 Base Impreza that I got, I'd have preferred to spend an extra $1,000 dollars to get the next trim level rather spending $500 dollars on a faulty remote starter that probably won't get here until July. I could have had a functioning remote starter from day 1, PLUS all the amenities of the larger, more advanced entertainment system (improved Navigation, SiruisXM, remote climate control when the car is being warmed, etc)

I'm 24 and this was my first car-buying experience. I guess I got exactly what I asked for!

· Registered
275 Posts
I ordered a base model 23 Impreza last July. Finally got it five weeks ago in December. After my whole experience, I think I would have liked to get the next trim-level up though... Here's the story....

When I ordered the car in July, I added auto-dimming rear + side mirrors, as well as all-weather mats. (I really didn't want any options but the saleswoman told me Subaru forces them to add 3-4 options to cars they sell. I don't believe that for a second but this was during "covid supply issues" so the dealerships had everyone by the balls. I got some options just to shut them up - figured auto-dimming mirrors would be more useful than the cargo tray they wanted me to spend a crap ton on, which I know I'll never use) Mid-way through November I asked for a remote car starter as well - turns out they install them at the Port of Boston rather than in the factory, so they could add that on for me before I get it. Not dissatisfied at this point in the story!

Ended up getting the car delivered in December. They had no mats for me (which annoyed me since they knew I would be needing them since I ordered the car in July) and the remote car starter has a faulty ECU, so 2 of the 4 options I asked for either didn't come or didn't work right. As of January 23rd, all they can tell me about the car starter is that it is on back-order and have no clue when I will get it. No discount or anything for the inconvenience, naturally. I ended up telling them to forget about giving me the mats, and to take it off my bill. Ended up ordering them from a dealership in Mass and got them within a week or so.

Anyways, I digress. After being upset about the car starter situation, I ended up reading that the Impreza Premium comes with the more advanced entertainment center/stereo thing which actually has a remote car starter feature that you can use with an app on your smartphone for a really cheap yearly subscription cost. So, reflecting on my experience with the 23 Base Impreza that I got, I would have rather just spent an extra $1,000 dollars to get the next trim level. Instead of spending $500 dollars on a faulty remote starter that probably won't get here until July, I could have had a much more advanced entertainment center with a functioning remote starter, SiriusXM, a bigger screen, etc...

I'm 24 and this was my first car-buying experience. I guess I got exactly what I asked for!
You got a remote starter for your base!? Can you drop a link?

· Registered
Sapphire Blue 2023 Base Sedan
8 Posts
You got a remote starter for your base!? Can you drop a link?
Just did a little Googling. Looks like the part number is H001SFL401. Here's a link

When I called the saleswomen she told me that it was an extra ~$500 bucks to have it installed at the Port of Boston before it got to the dealership. (They apparently add all options like this at the Port, so that's where my auto-dimming rear view and side view mirrors were also installed - I'm assuming it's some sort of tax thing for Subaru) The other option was the order it and then have it installed at the dealership, which was an extra couple hundred bucks. I'm assuming it's a labor cost thing. Either way, I'm glad I thought about it to ask for it BEFORE it got to the dealership so that I saved some $$$, but I wish it worked lol

· Registered
809 Posts
I like my 'base model' Impreza.
  • The 3-knob 'climate control' system is far more convenient than some other Subaru systems I have encountered.
  • Having NO ROOF RACK makes it farrrr easier to brush snow off the roof. (my wifes Outback is a PITA to clean the snowpack off the roof because the roof-rack)
  • In the end, it gets better MPG than higher-trim levels and I have found NOTHING which I am wanting for.

· Registered
2023 Subaru Impreza base 5 speed sedan
37 Posts
I may be wrong but I think going forward all Subie models have automatic HVAC buried in the gigantic touch screen stuck in the middle of the center stack.

Certainly glad I scored my 2023 base sedan when I did. FWIW, a Corolla I drove for 17 years had the '3 knob" climate control and all functions were operational when I traded the car.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts