5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my new 2017 Impreza ltd w/Eyesight and HK/NAV for 10 days. I have driven it mostly highway so far and have 1000 miles on it. It has repeatedly struggled to start, and lI have made sure to turn everything off when I park, as this was concerning. Last night it struggled and finally wouldn't start at all. At that point, I kept turning the ignition and all electronics completely off and the electronics constantly turned themselves back on. I called Subaru emergency services and got a jump, which allowed it to turn over. We let it run for a long time, then turned it off for the night. This morning it would not start again. My husband jumped it and we took it to the dealer. They cannot find a problem with the battery, and won't go any further. Something is running that is draining it and/or the battery is a dud. I have seen this issue mentioned re older imprezas and other subaru models. Is anyone seeing this with their 2017?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had the same problem and am on Day 9 of the my 2017 Impreza sport being at the dealer. Subaru home office is now involved and are "reviewing the situation." It seems to be a problem with the infotainment system. I would bring it back to the dealer and tell them to run diagnositics on the infotainment screen. In the meantime, call Subaru customer service and tell them about the problem. They will ensure that the dealer works on this. Although you may end up with a loaner car for a long time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Why wouldn't they go further? Clearly this is a re-occurring situation so they should definitely look into it. Put the battery on a load test or something. How many CCA is the battery and how cold is it where you are?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I haven't had the drained battery issue, but I did notice that my Sport-tech struggled to start a few times!

Thanks for bringing it up—it sure sounds like it might be related to the infotainment system. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Similar problem. 2017 Impreza, struggling to start, usually taking 3-5 tries and really holding the ignition key to get it started. Clock got reset, radio starting each time car is turned on even if it was off before, once black entertainment screen regardless of what button is pressed. Never got a battery low light. Have been driving it every day ~5-15 miles consistently.

Took it to the dealership on day-8. Went through the usual suspects of map lights, leaving key in the ignition with headlights or radio etc, but none was responsible for battery drainage. They ran some test, said there is no power leak, but the low battery might be causing the problems, replaced the battery.

Day-12 symptoms starting to reappear. Clock reset itself. The ignition taking closer to 3 seconds to start. Service says 3 second ignition start is within specs (4 sec is not), so will wait a few days more for the battery to drain. I am sure it will require multiple attempts to start and then I will take it to the dealer.

My first and possibly last Subaru :-(

Y

I have had my new 2017 Impreza ltd w/Eyesight and HK/NAV for 10 days. I have driven it mostly highway so far and have 1000 miles on it. It has repeatedly struggled to start, and lI have made sure to turn everything off when I park, as this was concerning. Last night it struggled and finally wouldn't start at all. At that point, I kept turning the ignition and all electronics completely off and the electronics constantly turned themselves back on. I called Subaru emergency services and got a jump, which allowed it to turn over. We let it run for a long time, then turned it off for the night. This morning it would not start again. My husband jumped it and we took it to the dealer. They cannot find a problem with the battery, and won't go any further. Something is running that is draining it and/or the battery is a dud. I have seen this issue mentioned re older imprezas and other subaru models. Is anyone seeing this with their 2017?

·
Registered
121 Posts
has anyone check with the dealer about the batteries having enough cold cranking amps for their area?
the colder areas may need a higher cold cranking amp batteries.

I can't post a link on cold cranking amps(cca), being a noobe.
just google it

·
Registered
44 Posts
No battery problems here in North Dakota with my 2017 Impreza Premium. I picked it up in December when it was really cold and drove it just around town for work and shopping, but never had any problems starting. I did not get the block heater or battery warmer, but I did put in a "Battery Tender" trickle charger.

http://tinyurl.com/hlau9ck

I plug it in every few days. The charging light usually goes out in an hour or two. When I first plugged it in though, it took many hours. Who knows how long those batteries were sitting on the shelf.

My moms 2015 outback does the same thing. There is nothing wrong with it, it's just all the passive electronics that are on even when the car is not. Especially if you have keyless entry. They are constantly scanning and waiting for the key fob. Plus the security system running all the time. I put the same battery tender in hers too and it works perfectly for us because we just do around town driving. Just run the plug out the front somewhere and plug it in without opening the hood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depending on your car being hooked up to something while parked outside is unreasonable. A new car with a new battery should start no matter what the temperature. I was considering this redesigned Impreza but also concerned since it is a redesign. After reading these comments, I am reconsidering this purchase. Electrical issues can take time to sort through and are a pain to diagnose. To get a new car and wonder if it will start every time I get in it is not something to look forward to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
mine is due this week and i agree with your thoughts. There should be no starting or battery issues with a brand new car. You have to wonder what kind of testing they put the new version through before releasing it/ Again most of the issues seem to be with the sport and limited versions with the 8" screen. I'm not sure what I'll do when they call to deliver the car, I'm sure they will not admit to any issues, but once I take delivery the issues will be mine. My brother has a new BMW that has the same battery problems and they decided they needed to exchange it for a more powerful battery. They claimed it is due to the background electronics that are always powered up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So you leave the connection on the battery hooked up at all times and let the plug hang out the front somewhere ??
Yeah, the battery charger cord just sticks out the front through the bottom like a block heater cord would. Since the charger itself is waterproof, there's no worries about leaving it installed and then you never even have to open your hood to plug it in.

I don't drive my car long enough each day to maintain the battery properly. Despite what others have said about possible electrical issues, mine is just due to my driving habits. My old car was the same way and that didn't have any of the newer electronics that the impreza has.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks that a 3-second ignition start is a long time..?

But @pwllms that's a genius idea. I'm gonna head out to my autopart shop or walmart to see if I can find something like that. At the rate things are going, when I get one of these, I'll be needing it as everyone is dealing with these low battery issues regardless.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks that a 3-second ignition start is a long time..?

But @pwllms that's a genius idea. I'm gonna head out to my autopart shop or walmart to see if I can find something like that. At the rate things are going, when I get one of these, I'll be needing it as everyone is dealing with these low battery issues regardless.
I ordered that particular battery tender online as the local walmart didn't have it in stock. Oriellys has it too, but more expensive. It's a really easy install. The hardest part was feeding the external cable down and out the front. I mounted mine in front of the battery by the air cleaner. The cable is long enough so it just makes it out the front, so there's not enough there to bang around and scratch anything.

·
Registered
25 Posts
guess suburu should offer this as an option or free gift :) Still think it makes no sense that his should be necessary in a brand new car! Suburu seems to pride itself on producing very reliable vehicles and this could really hurt their rep.

·
Registered
44 Posts
guess suburu should offer this as an option or free gift :) Still think it makes no sense that his should be necessary in a brand new car! Suburu seems to pride itself on producing very reliable vehicles and this could really hurt their rep.
Battery drainage is a problem for any vehicle if you don't drive it long enough each day. Think about how many electronics are on all the time in newer vehicles. If you don't drive it enough, that power has to come from somewhere. My commute to work is only about 1 mile, so for me a trickle charger is necessary. I'm very frugal when I drive, so I don't just go around driving without a purpose. I don't know how long you have to drive to properly maintain a battery, but a $30 trickle charger makes more sense to me than paying for gas and wear on the vehicle.

When I have plugged it in, it's not like it's charging all the time. The charging light usually goes out in under an hour and that is using the low output of a trickle charger.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There was a time my battery died completely and I had to boost it. I took it for a 20 minute drive and brought it back home thinking it charged properly. The next morning I tried to start it and it was dead again.

I had to take it on a 35-45 minute drive before the car resumed to start properly.

Typically I find 20 minutes of use to really maintain it is good enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is absolutely NO reason a person should be charging there car battery in a brand new vehicle. Even in extreme environments Subaru should build those cars to order specifically to endure specific climates. Example: Alaska vs Arizona
If a person is warming up their vehicle as they should be before driving, even for a short commute there will never be a problem with the battery keeping its charge unless it sits for weeks on end.
If a new vehicle's battery is draining daily there is a problem.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is absolutely NO reason a person should be charging there car battery in a brand new vehicle. Even in extreme environments Subaru should build those cars to order specifically to endure specific climates. Example: Alaska vs Arizona
If a person is warming up their vehicle as they should be before driving, even for a short commute there will never be a problem with the battery keeping its charge unless it sits for weeks on end.
If a new vehicle's battery is draining daily there is a problem.
Daily draining shouldn't happen at all. Definitely. But having had a new vehicle and living in an area where temperatures can reach -28 or lower, I have had occasions where 3 days of not starting the car resulted in it failing. However, that being said, when the weather warmed up I was able to leave it for 4 days, hop in it and have no issues what so ever.

Now the starting and warming up vehicles thing may start some debate. I do believe in starting your vehicle and letting it warm up appropriately.

Apparently the new thing is letting it idle for 30 seconds and drive off. :|

·
Registered
43 Posts
I guess it all depends on your situation. At my last job the drive was 7 minutes each way. I warmed the car up year-round for at least a few minutes just to get the car warm(or cool depending on season). My current drive is 40 minutes each way and I just get in and go. I have between 5-10 minutes of gentle backroad driving before I hit the freeway in either direction. I've been told that as long as you keep the revs lower until the car warms up your not doing any damage to the engine.

However, it seems like the concern here is on the battery and the explanation of multiple electronics running continuously is interesting. This has to be some kind of wiring problem in my opinion though. I can't believe Subaru would be in such a rush to bring it to the market they wouldn't make sure it had a big enough battery! Seems like such an obvious thing when practically all cars these days have the same(if not more) electronics. The idea of having to place a brand-new car on a battery tender every night is unacceptable!

Whatever it turns out to be, I hope Subaru makes it right for all the folks who have already purchased and have been sharing their experiences. This has got to be embarrassing for a company that prides itself in reliability! In the meantime, I feel this forum is a far better place than even the dealerships(who seem to care up until you take delivery) for an honest and diverse data pool. Who knows, maybe we'll figure this out before Subaru?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think you guys raising alarm bells are reading too much into this. If this were a design problem, it would be affecting everyone, not just a few people. With the large number of units that the 2017 Impreza is selling, this would be a more widely reported issue than what we are seeing here.

My previous vehicle was a 1997 without any of the passive electronics that the Impreza has. In my 1997 vehicle, I was going through through two brand new car batteries every year because my driving habits were not enough to maintain the battery. I bought it at Sams Club and they were all covered under their replacement policy, so I got lucky there. The batteries were not the problem. It was my short commutes to/from work and never driving more than a few miles at any given time. After I put a trickle charger on my 1997, no more battery problems from 2013-2017 when I traded it on on my Impreza. So for me it makes perfect sense to put in a trickle charger. If you don't drive enough, you will eventually kill your battery unless you have a way of topping it off now and then.

For the original poster, did you get the "Keyless Entry" option by chance? If so, read the first Q&A in the article below and see if it might apply to you.

Did a vehicle?s enhancements kill a Subaru? - News and reviews - Boston.com

"Keyless Entry" section
"if your car has keyless-start the key-fob needs to be at least 10 feet away from the car for the car’s electrical system to go into the sleep mode. Leaving your car in the garage with the key fob nearby will guarantee a dead battery".

This happened to my moms 2015 Outback. She has keyless entry and kept having a problem with her battery draining and sometimes needing a jump at work. She had her spare keyfob hanging just inside the door.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts