5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
I consider this to be a big issue along with the "door needs to be slammed" problem...

Subaru engineers need to get off their a**es and find the root cause for this problem. Where else would it be OK to buy a new thing which comes with battery that is faulty? Does Subaru really want its customers who pay on average $25000 to buy this car to spend their first week jump starting the vehicle or towing it to the dealership?
Well yeahhhh, but Subaru have replaced the batteries in some situations so clearly it's a bad batch of batteries :smile2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I consider this to be a big issue along with the "door needs to be slammed" problem...

Subaru engineers need to get off their a**es and find the root cause for this problem. Where else would it be OK to buy a new thing which comes with battery that is faulty? Does Subaru really want its customers who pay on average $25000 to buy this car to spend their first week jump starting the vehicle or towing it to the dealership?
Subaru is most likely NOT manufacturing the batteries, but rather have them manufactured by another company, This is a big failure in quality control.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Subaru is most likely NOT manufacturing the batteries, but rather have them manufactured by another company, This is a big failure in quality control.
Fuji Heavy Industries, the manufacturer of Subaru, probably produces the batteries, seeing as they have created batteries in the past, primarily for hybrid vehicles though so who knows.
Green Car Congress: Toyota, Fuji Heavy (Subaru) Hybrid Partnership?
Who knew GM was Fuji Heavy Industries top shareholder back in 2005?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks a new car should not come with faulty battery? I would have not expected this from a quality manufacturer like Subaru, but I am guessing the new age of manufacturing plants being setup closer to the customer's country is partly to blame.
Yeah! Why didn't they tell the battery manufacturer, "We don't want any of the faulty batteries for the cars we're building. Our cars are new. Please provide the faulty batteries from your production line only to the companies making used cars. Their owners will be accepting those faulty batteries and don't have pesky warranties to cover their vehicles."

Dang Subaru! Accepting whatever new batteries come off of their supplier's assembly line without stipulating it needs to only be a good battery! Sheer incompetence! The Japanese never would have allowed that to occur.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Fuji Heavy Industries, the manufacturer of Subaru, probably produces the batteries, seeing as they have created batteries in the past, primarily for hybrid vehicles though so who knows.
Green Car Congress: Toyota, Fuji Heavy (Subaru) Hybrid Partnership?
Who knew GM was Fuji Heavy Industries top shareholder back in 2005?
There is a label on the battery (US model) that state that it is distributed by "Johnson Controls". from their Wikipedia page) : "Johnson Controls is an American multinational conglomerate producing automotive parts such as batteries and electronics and HVAC equipment...".

So I don't think it is made by Fuji Industries (at least not the models assembled in the US).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
756 Posts
I went straight to Subaru with an issue (non-battery related) in my Impreza and they are handling it as they should be. Subaru is taking ownership and making it right. Yes, it's frustrating, disappointing, upsetting and etc., but at least it's better than a sorry about your luck response. Subaru isn't just sitting around on any of the reported issues. With everything being put into vehicles (not just Subaru) nowadays there is a high chance of having an issue or two. That's why there is a warranty.

For the record, I'm not OK with the issues with the Impreza and I would be even more upset if Subaru wasn't doing anything about it. They will make all of this right. That's my hope at least.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Claiming that because it's a new car and "bugs" are expected is correct to a limit: I accept quirks in the infotainment system, and other issues revolving around new components but a battery issue to that extent ? this is pure quality control problem. a car battery is such an old technology, that issues like these should happen to a tiny percentage of car owners having the same battery in their cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I brought my 2017 Impreza home and 4 nights later it would not start. I called for a jump start and drove it 30 miles on thr freeway thinking that would charge the battery. Well, next day it would not start either. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow but feeling disappointed. Got a new car so I would have a reliable car and it's less than a week old and I can't rely on it.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Sorry, not trying to fan any flames. I just think it's interesting to see how many folks are registering here and their first post is to ask a question about an issue they're having with the radio/infotainment system.
I think harmon kardon did a crap job with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I brought my 2017 Impreza home and 4 nights later it would not start. I called for a jump start and drove it 30 miles on thr freeway thinking that would charge the battery. Well, next day it would not start either. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow but feeling disappointed. Got a new car so I would have a reliable car and it's less than a week old and I can't rely on it.
Update - dealer tested the battery and installed a new one. I'm pretty confident that will take care of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a 2017 base model 5 door my daughter drove it everyday for a month no problems she took it to school where she drives it every 5 days or so and already had 2 times battery completely drained its going to the dealer on tuesday they already are trying to sell me a bag of lies that this is normal. its not we have many friends with subarus with no issues. i had her print out what the dealer needs to adress
1 load check the battery apparently there are bad batteries in the 2017 impreza

additionally we have the base model sound system the radio comes on every time we start the car even when we shut the car with the radio off is this normal? does anyone have any info on this

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Radio issue is normal...battery problem is not and a load test is the right next step. Any dealer that tells you that a battery that has died twice is normal should be reported and you may wish to go to another dealer next round.

·
Registered
121 Posts
a draw test will show if there is a draw with everything off and all doors shut. how much of a draw there is in the system. it might show a slight draw do to some things running in the background but not enough to drain a battery.

·
Registered
142 Posts
reduce the radio volume to zero

additionally we have the base model sound system the radio comes on every time we start the car even when we shut the car with the radio off is this normal? does anyone have any info on this
The solution is to reduce the volume to zero - pretend you have a old radio from the 50's where the volume knob was also the on and off switch. I think I have found that (maybe after the head-unit update) if I have been listening to something other than the radio, like media from the phone, that the car startup has the media in pause mode and therefore is quiet. It was not consistent enough so I just reduce the radio/music volume to zero. The phone and Android Auto nav audio is apparently a different volume setting so that works even if the radio is turned down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my 2017 Subaru Impreza for about 5 months now. Noticed that it took long to start the car one day then the whole infotainment unit became black and wouldn't turn on. Took it to the dealer and turns out it was a bad cell in the battery and the screen was automatically fixed.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome, @andy1328 !

Seems like a lot of bad batteries out there!

I took notice of the thread about the evap system kicking on/off after the car is sitting for hours. Lots of electronics on these cars and I wonder if this sort of activity (especially if something doesn't shut off as it is supposed to) might be a contributing factor to battery degradation. Certainly different than my older '06. Pure speculation but something to think about.

http://www.impreza5.com/forum/9-2017-impreza-general-discussion-forum/8585-fuel-pump-still-running-after-car-shut-off.html (not fuel pump but evap system)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have been a long time lurker, but had an interesting experience at the dealer this morning after my car's (2017 Impreza Sport 5dr) battery drained. I've owned the car since May 2017 and so far outside of some small things I have had no issues.

Last night though, the car wouldn't turn over. Turned out that the battery amperage was to low to start the car. Car is under warranty and I thought no big deal, easy swap. I jumped the car and drove it in to the dealer. I arrive and they ask all the standard affair questions and check the car in (I'm usually well taken care of at the local Subaru dealer). 5 minutes later the Service Manager comes out and asks about where I live.

He asked if I lived in an apartment complex or in a dense area (I live in an apartment).
He asked if there were any power lines near my house... To which I replied, well sure there are power lines everywhere, as I pointed outside to the power lines hanging over more than half of the dealer ship lot.

He then asked how big the apartment complex was that I lived in. I then said, medium sized (Who thinks about the size of their apartment complex? Not me I guess).

The Service Manager then thanked me and they presumably began their tests. Fast forward an hour and the Service Writer comes over and begins to tell me what's happening.

She opens with "We googled where you live and there are high powered power lines near your house and we believe that to be the possible cause."

I asked to see the Service Manager and they came over and proceeded to tell me that Subaru of America has told them that they are seeing a rise in battery issues in models - (his words) "HF" from power lines pinging/activating the cars computers similar to the key fob activation which causes a draw on the battery. The other issue he says is other vehicle fobs also activating the computers causing a drain on the car. When I asked about the lines over the lot outside, he said they had replaced several batteries from the lot as well...

He also mentioned defective batteries with cell spacing issues on some 2015-2017 models is happening as well.

I must admit I did not react well to the Google Searching of my home, but the to make wild speculation (without knowing where I park my car or taking any measurements on site) that the cause is due to the frequency that high voltage lines emits is draining my car is crazy. I could buy that other car fobs could do it. Many fobs operate between something like 300ish MHZ to 433MHz and that doesn't leave a ton of room for every manufacturer to play.

Seems like Subaru has a battery issue on their hands to me.

Anyways. That's my experience at the dealer today.

EDIT: words are hard.

Cheers!

41 - 60 of 91 Posts