5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to add to my diatribe above that while this is my first Subaru, I have owned tons of cars with electrical issues (cough VW cough). If they had just said that the battery was dead and that they charged it and presented the voltage tests, I would have been on my merry way. Google searching my house and then fabricating some story is what set me off.

I so far love everything else about my Subaru (saved my fiance's butt in the rain up here in Seattle last week) and plan to keep it. The Service Manager backed down from the story and gave me his card and said that if it happens again, he'd replace it.

I hope that Subaru is able to identify a means to reduce the draw on the battery through some software updates to change the ping/queue behavior for the car computers.

EDIT: Also regret choice of forum name. sigh....shouldn't do things in anger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have been a long time lurker, but had an interesting experience at the dealer this morning after my car's (2017 Impreza Sport 5dr) battery drained. I've owned the car since May 2017 and so far outside of some small things I have had no issues.

Last night though, the car wouldn't turn over. Turned out that the battery amperage was to low to start the car. Car is under warranty and I thought no big deal, easy swap. I jumped the car and drove it in to the dealer. I arrive and they ask all the standard affair questions and check the car in (I'm usually well taken care of at the local Subaru dealer). 5 minutes later the Service Manager comes out and asks about where I live.

He asked if I lived in an apartment complex or in a dense area (I live in an apartment).
He asked if there were any power lines near my house... To which I replied, well sure there are power lines everywhere, as I pointed outside to the power lines hanging over more than half of the dealer ship lot.

He then asked how big the apartment complex was that I lived in. I then said, medium sized (Who thinks about the size of their apartment complex? Not me I guess).

The Service Manager then thanked me and they presumably began their tests. Fast forward an hour and the Service Writer comes over and begins to tell me what's happening.

She opens with "We googled where you live and there are high powered power lines near your house and we believe that to be the possible cause."

I asked to see the Service Manager and they came over and proceeded to tell me that Subaru of America has told them that they are seeing a rise in battery issues in models - (his words) "HF" from power lines pinging/activating the cars computers similar to the key fob activation which causes a draw on the battery. The other issue he says is other vehicle fobs also activating the computers causing a drain on the car. When I asked about the lines over the lot outside, he said they had replaced several batteries from the lot as well...

He also mentioned defective batteries with cell spacing issues on some 2015-2017 models is happening as well.

I must admit I did not react well to the Google Searching of my home, but the to make wild speculation (without knowing where I park my car or taking any measurements on site) that the cause is due to the frequency that high voltage lines emits is draining my car is crazy. I could buy that other car fobs could do it. Many fobs operate between something like 300ish MHZ to 433MHz and that doesn't leave a ton of room for every manufacturer to play.

Seems like Subaru has a battery issue on their hands to me.

Anyways. That's my experience at the dealer today.

EDIT: words are hard.

Cheers!

Sorry to hear about your problems. It is downright uncomfortable & disturbing for the Service manager to ask you all sorts of personal info on where you live, size of your home. What relevance does this have to do with anything? Furthermore, Googling your home, without your permission is stalking to me.

Why on earth would Subaru design a vehicle that would suffer battery problems when surrounded by power lines, or be affected by other key fobs that are not designed specially for your vehicle?

Something is definitely not right about that Subaru Dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want to add to my diatribe above that while this is my first Subaru, I have owned tons of cars with electrical issues (cough VW cough). If they had just said that the battery was dead and that they charged it and presented the voltage tests, I would have been on my merry way. Google searching my house and then fabricating some story is what set me off.

I so far love everything else about my Subaru (saved my fiance's butt in the rain up here in Seattle last week) and plan to keep it. The Service Manager backed down from the story and gave me his card and said that if it happens again, he'd replace it.

I hope that Subaru is able to identify a means to reduce the draw on the battery through some software updates to change the ping/queue behavior for the car computers.

EDIT: Also regret choice of forum name. sigh....shouldn't do things in anger.

After all those invasive questions (seems like an interrogation) by the Service manager, the service manager did not resolve your Subaru's problems, but merely charge up the battery (pray + hope the issues does not reappear), perform electrical tests & diagnostics on the battery & hands you a business card with a weak + unreassuring response, if it happens again, it would be replaced?

What kind of customer service is that? You are driving a Subaru still under warranty, but still have battery problem that is unresolved. The service manager obviously did not resolve your issue to your complete satisfaction.

Yeah, I'm not too fond of the Starlink infotainment system. I've even told the Subaru Delivery Coordinator as I was completing the final payment transaction, "I wished Subaru made the Starlink infotainment system as optional, instead of mandating it as standard equipment."

If i had an option, I would've dropped Starlink infotainment system. but no Subaru made it standard equipment.

I agree with you on this statement "I hope that Subaru is able to identify a means to reduce the draw on the battery through some software updates to change the ping/queue behavior for the car computers."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new with the group. I've had my Subaru Impreza with Eye Sight and the full info-tainment package approx. nine months. This is day two with a dead battery. I had it jumped yesterday and drove it to Subaru Ontario. They said the battery checked out fine. That night after work, it was dead. I towed it this morning back to the dealership (Ontario).
I requested they run full diagnostics on the info-tainment screen and look for a parasitic battery drain.
I'm hoping it was just a defective battery, is that too much to hope for?

Leslie

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Leslie...defective batteries are very common...unfortunately. Hopefully, that is your issue and they will replace it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I had a dead battery after the weekend on Monday, car not driven for two days. Jump started, all was well. Battery was low Wednesday morning, wouldn't start. Jumped and took to Subaru. They said the battery was good, but there was a drain they could not find. They replaced the battery and all was good afterwards, no drain. One of the next few days, I turned The car off and heard a noise out of The infotainment system like it was humming or a CD spinning. The next Monday, not driven 3 days, dead again. Got it jumped and took it back, won't stay charged more than a few hours. Day 4 and they are still looking, but has had an issue that was resolved that involved the infotainment system being the culprit? I had the recall for the software update on the infotainment system when they changed the battery on the first visit?

·
Registered
36 Posts
“Guys just the head up my battery issue has been resolve I went to my dealer and have my car and the battery checked. they found a bad cell on my battery so they ended up replacing the battery. now its doing good and back to its perfect shape.”

Same thing here. Would not start, but would run once jumped. Dealer said it pasted test, butreplaced battery anyway. - I think they knew -

·
Registered
12 Posts
So I had a dead battery after the weekend on Monday, car not driven for two days. Jump started, all was well. Battery was low Wednesday morning, wouldn't start. Jumped and took to Subaru. They said the battery was good, but there was a drain they could not find. They replaced the battery and all was good afterwards, no drain. One of the next few days, I turned The car off and heard a noise out of The infotainment system like it was humming or a CD spinning. The next Monday, not driven 3 days, dead again. Got it jumped and took it back, won't stay charged more than a few hours. Day 4 and they are still looking, but has had an issue that was resolved that involved the infotainment system being the culprit? I had the recall for the software update on the infotainment system when they changed the battery on the first visit?
So the dealer said they found a drain in the infotainment. New radio ordered. In a loaner Outback for another week. Asked if this was something they see a lot of and the response was "well this is why new cars have warranties" Didn't answer the question, so we will see...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2019 Subaru Impreza 3 weeks ago but the new car didn't make me happy for long.

The battery almost died every morning since last Saturday. The first time it happened after my car idled for about 18 hours (which is nothing for a brand new car). I found the battery totally dead that I couldn't even unlock the car. I called AAA roadside service and AAA crew said the battery was bad when he tested it before charging it.
Same thing happened on the coming Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday unsurprisingly. I jumped started the car and turned in the vehicle to 2 different dealerships for inspection, and they both found battery condition to be fine.
I checked with the service people to make sure I was doing correctly every time I leave my car. I live an apartment complex, so the key fob is absolutely 10 ft away the car.

Apparently there is something wrong, but those people don't find out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 2019 Subaru Impreza 3 weeks ago but the new car didn't make me happy for long.

The battery almost died every morning since last Saturday. The first time it happened after my car idled for about 18 hours (which is nothing for a brand new car). I found the battery totally dead that I couldn't even unlock the car. I called AAA roadside service and AAA crew said the battery was bad when he tested it before charging it.
Same thing happened on the coming Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday unsurprisingly. I jumped started the car and turned in the vehicle to 2 different dealerships for inspection, and they both found battery condition to be fine.
I checked with the service people to make sure I was doing correctly every time I leave my car. I live an apartment complex, so the key fob is absolutely 10 ft away the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The dealer had my car for 3 weeks waiting on a new radio. Picked it up yesterday, dead this morning. New battery and radio so far. Not fixed. I have had 6 mornings and 1 afternoon with a dead battery. Took it back in today....

·
Registered
12 Posts

Trying to get into the hatch is impossible with a dead battery. I keep the jumper cables on the passenger side floor now.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Changed my battery today. It lasted 26 months and 23,800 miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trying to get into the hatch is impossible with a dead battery. I keep the jumper cables on the passenger side floor now.
I learned the lesson. I have a radio upgrade, too and everything happened after that although dealership doesn't think it's the case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealer had my car for 3 weeks waiting on a new radio. Picked it up yesterday, dead this morning. New battery and radio so far. Not fixed. I have had 6 mornings and 1 afternoon with a dead battery. Took it back in today....
It happened to me after the radio was installed.
I sent the car into 2 different dealers for 3 times and they couldn't find anything wrong. The last time they have my car for 3 days and it turned out there is no battery drainage issue. Since the first time battery dead, I made sure all lights are off and the car was locked properly.
It has been 4 days since I got my car back and so far so good. The only thing I noticed is that my car has a bad mpg. I home-to-work trip is like 15 minute in urban area, but it still way too low to have 19 mpg. The mpg on freeway without congestion is 34, but I heard some people can easily get 40.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The battery drain saga continues.... Most likely the infotainment system, but nobody seems to acknowledge it. They go through all the tests and find everything is OK.

Did not drive the car for 4 days and found that battery was dead. Could not even unlock the car. No internal light, nothing.

5 recalls on a 2017 Impreza, 4 of them for safety. Way too many problems for a 2 year old car. Will not buy Subaru again.

From https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html for my VIN

Type: Safety|Safety Recall: WUP01|NHTSA Campaign: 19V744000
PCV Valve Fracturing

Type: Safety|Safety Recall: WUQ02|NHTSA Campaign: 19V743000
Ignition Coil Reprogramming

Type: Safety|Safety Recall: WTP75|NHTSA Campaign: 17V216000
2017 Impreza ECM Reprogramming

Type: Safety|Safety Recall: WTN74|NHTSA Campaign: 17V132000
Rear View Camera Image Failure

Type: Customer Satisfaction|Service Campaign: WUA86|NHTSA Campaign: N/A
17-18 IMP, 18 LEG/OUT/CRO HK REPROGAM

·
Banned
417 Posts
Seems to me that after an initial clue the battery isn't performing adequately one would take some actions to remedy the problem. One would be to employ a battery tender of some kind... to ensure continued functioning while investigating a more long term fix.

In my case the car had to be jump started while we were still doing the paperwork. Knowing that once a battery gets in a jump start condition that the battery is never going to reach 100% again, both we and the dealership agreed on a new battery. Got it home OK and I hooked up my tender overnight... but as I suspected it never reached complete charge status. I was at the dealership and had a new Subaru battery, their best, within the hour. Fixed... in less than 24 hours. But one day or fifty I'd have made sure the same thing happened. What other choice is there... other than to try to live with a problem that's never going to fix itself. Not.

Nevertheless, even with my new battery, if the car isn't to be driven for three or four days I hook up my tender/conditioner overnight... just to make certain it's always in top condition. After all, even when the ignition is off, the car is not... it continues to use current for a variety of necessities, some more energy draining than others. I do not expect battery issues from now forward.

Subaru OEM batteries have ALWAYS been known to be marginal. Mine have. That's why I changed all interior and some exterior incandescent lamps with quality LEDs in the first days of ownership. Because I've lost batteries due to nothing more than a map light being on all night. That doesn't happen with LEDs. I also have a dedicated battery voltage meter that's always on... so I know before I start the car where the battery's condition stands, and once underway I can see how the alternator is performing. Nothing fancy, simple feedback for a critical component... in the same category as the fuel gauge.

Preventive and preemptive maintenance is the owner's responsibility, not Subaru's.

In today's world software upgrades are a way of life. Given the many computers that make up the modern automobile, upgrades should be expected and appreciated, not vilified. Similarly, component upgrades that enhance safety or reliability should be welcomed with open arms, not shot on sight or labled criminal. A manufacturer that has my back is comforting. Subaru is that manufacturer... a hard working supplier of their best efforts who stand behind their product, not an idealisticly perfect automotive god on a pedestal.

Best of luck to you with your future vehicles. Regardless of reasons, sometimes moving on is the choice that gains us more peace. Life's too short to live with things that bring us down.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts