5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the all of a sudden battery death yesterday. My Impreza 2017 limited was running well until yesterday. I drove about 150 miles on Monday. if I remember correctly; when I started driving the infotainment system did not start until I put the gear to reverse and then it came back to normal. I thought it must be a normal glitch and turn off the car as usual. Next day morning car would not turn on (All the lights were on; infotainment system came on and when I pressed the Start button it made two click sound); the digital Volt meter showed me it had 10.2V on battery and I guess that is not enough to start the engine. I had to call Road side assistant and he said the battery is dead so, I have to get it replaced. SOA offered to replace the battery under warranty; the dealer already replaced it without any questions.

This problem came out of no where. I live in colder climate but, I never had problem with it and all of a sudden it was dead. It has to be bad batteries or the infotainment system draining the battery dead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Similar issues with battery started 1 week after purchase and not resolved after 3 years despite replacing battery and multiple attempts to fix and reprogram. Infotainment system is the problem (I think), but Subaru will not acknowledge it or can fix it. This is after 5 recalls, 2 of them related to Infotainment system and one optional fix to get the alternator to kick in more frequently to keep the battery better charged.

If I drive it every day or every other day, everything works great. If I leave it in garage for 4 days, battery will die.

I started a BBB case, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EDY4ZYum-txG22MfJaP39v7J-O-ks1Cm/view Subaru has made a low cash offer to purchase the car back from me. Waiting for a higher offer or possibly contacting an attorney to proceed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the all of a sudden battery death yesterday. My Impreza 2017 limited was running well until yesterday. I drove about 150 miles on Monday. if I remember correctly; when I started driving the infotainment system did not start until I put the gear to reverse and then it came back to normal. I thought it must be a normal glitch and turn off the car as usual. Next day morning car would not turn on (All the lights were on; infotainment system came on and when I pressed the Start button it made two click sound); the digital Volt meter showed me it had 10.2V on battery and I guess that is not enough to start the engine. I had to call Road side assistant and he said the battery is dead so, I have to get it replaced. SOA offered to replace the battery under warranty; the dealer already replaced it without any questions.

This problem came out of no where. I live in colder climate but, I never had problem with it and all of a sudden it was dead. It has to be bad batteries or the infotainment system draining the battery dead.

I am having the same problem with my 2019 Subaru Impreza that I purchased in February. The car had been fine until last week. I did not drive it for a day and the battery was dead when I started it. Had to be jump started. Then it sat another day not being driven ( I was visiting family for the holidays) and battery died again and needed to be jump started. The lights came on as well as the infotainment system but just a clicking noise could be heard when I turned the ignition key. My mechanic (not affiliated with Subaru) tested the battery in November when I took it in for a general oil change/check-up and it was fine. I called the Subaru dealership, luckily the car started and I drove it there this morning. They tested it and said nothing was wrong with the battery. I'm hoping that the battery doesn't die again because from reading other posts it seems like this may be a bigger problem with the infotainment system or something else draining the battery. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Subaru Impreza 2019 battery is dead again this morning (Wed 1/1/20) and this is after having taken it to my local dealership on Monday morning where they tested the battery and said is was fine. This is obviously a bigger problem than the battery and an internal issue draining the battery. I did not drive the car yesterday at all and this morning, a dead battery. I bought the car in VT. I called the dealer up there and they said to take it to my local NJ dealer so they can "look into it deeper". So tomorrow I will have to get the car towed to the local dealer, leave it there and hopefully get a loaner. This is incredibly frustrating and I would really like a replacement car since it's less then a year old. A new battery will not solve the problem if it's an internal system issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my 2019 Impreza Premium jump started by AAA yesterday morning and drove it back to my local Subaru Service Center even though they had just tested the battery on Monday, 12/31/19, and told me it was good. I drove the car home on Monday from the Service Center and the battery died again after not being used for a day. (third time within a week.) I was at the service center for 3 hours yesterday while they ran a full diagnostics test. They said that because I do not drive the car enough and since the car runs a self-diagnostics test every night it's draining the battery. They said to purchase a solar trickle charger and regulator to keep the battery charged during the day. I park my car in a lot every day, 4 days a week, driving about 3 miles a day and use my car on weekends. I ordered the solar charger and regulator items from Amazon (@$70) and will have it installed by Subaru next week. But for a new car just 10 months old this shouldn't happen. Not everyone uses their car every day for long distances and cars are often sit for days at a time not being driven if the driver is on vacation. I should not have to purchase an additional item and then have to plug it in and set it up every morning. I called Subaru Customer Service and they "will document my case". They offered a service coupon for next oil change, etc but won't reimburse me for the cost of the solar panel and regulator since this is not a Subaru product. This has been a very frustrating, time-consuming experience. If using a solar panel still doesn't work then I will be contacting Subaru customer service yet again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Subaru has reached a $6.25 million settlement with drivers who claim that the Starlink touchscreen infotainment systems are defective.
The Subaru drivers say the faulty Starlink systems are present in the 2018 Subaru Outback, Forester, Legacy, CrossTrek, and BRZ, as well as in the 2017 and 2018 Subaru Imprezas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
DCF
..."They said to purchase a solar trickle charger and regulator to keep the battery charged during the day. I park my car in a lot every day, 4 days a week, driving about 3 miles a day and use my car on weekends. I ordered the solar charger and regulator items from Amazon (@$70) and will have it installed by Subaru next week. But for a new car just 10 months old this shouldn't happen"...

That's a joke of a recommendation. Really puts on display how inept Subaru dealer network is. There is no way this should be happening not should the Subaru response be acceptable.

Stupid question...have you tried a different dealer? Perhaps ask around to see if any local mechanics have a rep for trouble shooting.

I feel for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
DCF
..."They said to purchase a solar trickle charger and regulator to keep the battery charged during the day. I park my car in a lot every day, 4 days a week, driving about 3 miles a day and use my car on weekends. I ordered the solar charger and regulator items from Amazon (@$70) and will have it installed by Subaru next week. But for a new car just 10 months old this shouldn't happen"...

That's a joke of a recommendation. Really puts on display how inept Subaru dealer network is. There is no way this should be happening not should the Subaru response be acceptable.

Stupid question...have you tried a different dealer? Perhaps ask around to see if any local mechanics have a rep for trouble shooting.

Thanks! I am not going to put the solar charger and regulator in after speaking with my long-time mechanic who also said this shouldn't be happening. I am going to see how the new battery that my local dealer installed about two weeks ago holds up. If this one dies before the warranty expires I will take action with Subaru. I appreciate your response and will post an update should this battery die again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took possession of my 2017 Impreza in June of 2017 and have had nothing but problems ever since even after all the recall issues were taken care of. This is my third Subaru but first Impreza and believe me, I will buy no more Subarus. Right now I am sitting here waiting for Roadside Assistance to come to jump-start my car as the battery is DEAD! I have complained about the slow starts and weak battery; just had it in a month ago to check the battery and they said it was fine. So! not! fine! Guessing they are doing nothing as it is such a widespread, ergo expensive, issue. I agree with all who say this is unacceptable, that we should be using a trickle charger, and that Subaru needs to fix the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Subaru has reached a $6.25 million settlement with drivers who claim that the Starlink touchscreen infotainment systems are defective.
The Subaru drivers say the faulty Starlink systems are present in the 2018 Subaru Outback, Forester, Legacy, CrossTrek, and BRZ, as well as in the 2017 and 2018 Subaru Imprezas.
Sure, but the update did not fix the battery draining issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DCF

Based on my experience with this issue, it is a Subaru Corporate problem and their dealers are following the company line.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts