5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2020 Impreza 5 door base manual
9 Posts
I haven't had to replace my battery yet. I don't know a whole lot about cars. I can't imagine how changing the battery requires a mechanic. I would go for it. Also I have a good friend who is a mechanic that can bail me out lol. Maybe you should use a memory maintainer if you can get a hold of one.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had to replace my battery yet. I don't know a whole lot about cars. I can't imagine how changing the battery requires a mechanic. I would go for it. Also I have a good friend who is a mechanic that can bail me out lol. Maybe you should use a memory maintainer if you can get a hold of one.
Same here man. I’ve always had civics, so I’m a little more knowledgeable with those, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen instructions like that for a battery. And I did.

· ModFather
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
1,688 Posts
It's really no different than most any other battery swap. Many parts stores will do it for you. I know my local AutoZone does it for free.

Having said that it's not very difficult provided you do the swap in this order .

When removing a battery, undo the negative terminal first then the positive.

Undo the hold down and remove the J hooks.

When installing the battery hook up the Positive First then the Negative.

Doing it in this order minimizes the risk of having the tool you use ground out, spark and arc on any metal you might contact. The risk of an explosion is minimal but it's not zero. Batteries give off hydrogen and oxygen gas. I've had it happen once in my lifetime and that was plenty. Sound like a gunshot and gets battery acid everywhere.

Few notes. I always wear gloves when messing with a battery and clothes you don't mind runing. Battery acid will put holes in fabric but you won't see them till after the first wash. Clean the terminals and posts on the new battery. I also like to install the green and red anti corrosion felt disks under the terminals.

· Registered
771 Posts
With Subaru.... replacing battery may reset radio-presets and the computer may need to relearn your driving-habits.... Not a big deal.

If you drove a Volkswagen... some of them will think the radio is being stolen and go into lockout until you enter passcode. Some folks ended up with disabled radio after replacing battery 'cuz they did NOT have the passcode. The cost to have dealer tear apart the dash to access the radio so the passcode can be discovered was kinda high.

ALL of these nucance can be avoided if you maintain voltage on the system whilst replacing battery. If the voltage is maintained... the electronics in the car do not even know the battery is replaced.

Some folks use a standard 9v battery plugged into power-outlet.
I prefer to use jumper-cables to another vehicle to maintin the voltage as I change battery.

Of course -- Safe electricity practices must be observed when working with high-current power. It is all to easy to turn your car into a boat-ancher by frying the computer.

· Registered
37 Posts
When I installed the amplifier and disconnected the battery, all the settings are restored after a while, even the radio presets and the fuel economy data, I think you only lose the current time if you don't have GPS.
I don't know if its just placebo, but it probably deletes some driving habit on the CVT.

· ModFather
1,688 Posts
When I installed the amplifier and disconnected the battery, all the settings are restored after a while, even the radio presets and the fuel economy data, SNIP
I noticed this too when I installed a sub and amp in my kids WRX.

· Registered
700 Posts
My 2019 battery seems to be cranking a bit less energetic than it used to. I'm not sure if it's because my dashcam is dragging the voltage down (I did install that circuit which limits how long it feeds the cam juice), but I'm wondering if Subaru just cheaped-out on the battery. MOST cars today I expect get at least 5 years out of the original battery. Do Impreza batteries last that long?

· Registered
2019 Impreza Premium Hatch CVT
321 Posts
MOST cars today I expect get at least 5 years out of the original battery. Do Impreza batteries last that long?
I'm at 4 years/80k miles on my original battery and it seems to be holding up fine. I haven't had the best of luck with battery longevity with other recent cars, as it seems with all the electronics and alarm stuff there is almost always a constant voltage draw somewhere.

· Registered
337 Posts
My '18 Legacy had the battery replaced ~6 months after i bought car. So far, the replacement battery and my Impreza battery have been ok. My wife's CRV had the battery die right when I pulled in to the dealer for an oil change. It was just luck really. I forget how old the battery was but my guess was ~5 years. So far the new battery is doing well.

· ModFather
1,688 Posts
I've seen anywhere from three to five years. A lot depends on where you are, extreme heat and cold take a toll on a battery. I think if you don't take care of your battery, meaning: watch the level of the fluid or every once in awhile throw a charger on it to top it off it will have a shorter life. My kid just picked up a 2019 WRX and I did some work on it. it has the original battery. I was installing an amp and playing it for a little bit while the car was off. I managed to kill the battery in what I thought was a short time. Maybe 20 minutes of playing while the car was off. Not a huge amp maybe 300 Watts. I went to start the car and it was dead. I checked and all 6 cells needed a fair amount of fluid. The level was down 2/3 to 1/2". I filled it with distilled water to the proper level and charged it overnight with a smart trickle charger. It seems to be fine now but if you didn't know any better you'd probably want to change it.

· Registered
3 Posts
Went to replace my battery tonight, and was told that auto parts stores computer say “professional installation required”. Any truth to that statement?
Ok nothing on here that I saw to say what year. That being said I know with my 13 impreza, when you change the battery, you have to relearn the idle or the car will run a lil weird during idle. To do the relearn is not hard. For mine it was as follows:

Make sure ALL loads are off (heated seats, HVAC, lights, radio ect)

disconnect battery for 30 minutes

reconnect battery & turn key to ON position (do not start) & wait 10 to 15 seconds

start car without load & let run a full 10 minutes do not touch accelerator

turn off engine & leave key in the off position for @ least 20 seconds

turn key back on without starting engine for 10 to 15 seconds

start engine & leave to idle for 5 minutes do not touch accelerator

turn off engine for 20 seconds before starting engine.

Thats it,,,youre done. also, I would look on youtube

& on that note,,,look on youtube for a person named "Project Farm" & look up car batteries I think you will get a good idea on what to get from that.

· Registered
329 Posts
My 2019 battery seems to be cranking a bit less energetic than it used to. I'm not sure if it's because my dashcam is dragging the voltage down (I did install that circuit which limits how long it feeds the cam juice), but I'm wondering if Subaru just cheaped-out on the battery. MOST cars today I expect get at least 5 years out of the original battery. Do Impreza batteries last that long?
My first battery lasted about a year and a half and 37,000 miles, Subaru replaced it for free even though I was technically out of warranty because they said it should have lasted longer than that. The second battery died at about 2 1/2 years and 80,000 miles. After that I spent the extra money for an AGM battery (optima yellow top) and it's been fine since. I'm currently at 5 years and 115,000 miles.
I am running two amplifiers and some off-road lights, but those weren't installed until after I got the second battery so that wouldn't explain the shortened life span on the first one.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think mine was the original battery. It was at 5 years/107k

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went ahead and replaced the battery like normal. I didn’t know about the throttle plate adjustment, but I always let cars sit for a bit in the on position before I crank. But I did go back and disconnect and reconnect and wait for the adjustment. Windows were fine, odometer was fine. I haven’t seen anything that didn’t reset itself. This was on a 17 hatch base.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts