5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m thinking about buying a set of BC coils for my Impreza, but I’m curious to what spring rates I should go for?
Also if I should go for the extreme low option..?

·
Registered
2017 Base Sedan 5MT
78 Posts
Hey guys, I’m thinking about buying a set of BC coils for my Impreza, but I’m curious to what spring rates I should go for?
I believe bcracing coilovers are already preset (as far as I know from when I purchased mine) so in that case you wouldn't have to worry about them. I suggest you consider the extreme low option if you want the car low low like dealing with cracked lips, constant scraping, and rolling fenders etc. However if that's not the look or lifestyle you want, the regular coilovers do just fine and you still can get pretty stanced with them maxed out. Check out fitment industries' website gallery for our cars, plenty of inspo around.

·
Registered
2018 Base 5 Door
143 Posts
I've emailed BC about the spring rate and they told me the fronts at 6k and the rears are 5k, personally I think they're perfectly fine the way they are. If I want the ride stiffer I just turn up the damper settings. They get very stiff once you go above 13 clicks. It goes all the way to 30 if you really need it. I don't have the extreme low version but here's my car on 18" wheels. The front is basically maxed out for lowering settings but it looks like I can go another 1-2mm lower before I have to start compressing the spring to get even lower. The rears still have like another 1" before they're maxed. The way the car sits now I DO scrape on 70% more driveways than stock sometimes it doesn't matter how sideways I go but it's only on the harsher driveways. Thankfully it's not low enough to have actually broken anything it's strictly scraping. Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe bcracing coilovers are already preset (as far as I know from when I purchased mine) so in that case you wouldn't have to worry about them. I suggest you consider the extreme low option if you want the car low low like dealing with cracked lips, constant scraping, and rolling fenders etc. However if that's not the look or lifestyle you want, the regular coilovers do just fine and you still can get pretty stanced with them maxed out. Check out fitment industries' website gallery for our cars, plenty of inspo around.
Thank you so much!! This is really helpful I appreciate it!! Will keep in mind lol, and I might just have to go with extreme lows.. just don’t wanna be buying a new lip 24/7 when I get mine😂😂

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've emailed BC about the spring rate and they told me the fronts at 6k and the rears are 5k, personally I think they're perfectly fine the way they are. If I want the ride stiffer I just turn up the damper settings. They get very stiff once you go above 13 clicks. It goes all the way to 30 if you really need it. I don't have the extreme low version but here's my car on 18" wheels. The front is basically maxed out for lowering settings but it looks like I can go another 1-2mm lower before I have to start compressing the spring to get even lower. The rears still have like another 1" before they're maxed. The way the car sits now I DO scrape on 70% more driveways than stock sometimes it doesn't matter how sideways I go but it's only on the harsher driveways. Thankfully it's not low enough to have actually broken anything it's strictly scraping. Good luck, hope this helps.
View attachment 25805
Thank you so much!! This is overly helpful!! I do really like the fitment you got here. Clean set up!!! Appreciate the help!!

And yeah really tho!! Glad you haven’t!!

·
Registered
2017 Base Sedan 5MT
78 Posts
View attachment 25805
Dang 70%, looks like in LA it'll be 100% and guaranteed demolished bumper and lips with the roads and streets here. For example, some establishments have extremely high driveways or just downright uneven. To the point it's unpredictable and can inconvenient your visit. To me that's the hardest pill to swallow and it's whats keeping me from going any lower than stock coilover height. Idk if I can commit......

·
Registered
2018 Base 5 Door
143 Posts
Dang 70%, looks like in LA it'll be 100% and guaranteed demolished bumper and lips with the roads and streets here. For example, some establishments have extremely high driveways or just downright uneven. To the point it's unpredictable and can inconvenient your visit. To me that's the hardest pill to swallow and it's whats keeping me from going any lower than stock coilover height. Idk if I can commit......
Understandable but I'm also in socal, you'll learn to do the whole going sideways up the driveway. I've never gotten stuck or broken anything yet. This car goes up the canyons every now and then and has even been through snowy roads a few times. One time it was even chains required for all cars, didn't get stuck, didn't have any problems.

Try to tell me that's not sick as fuck though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Understandable but I'm also in socal, you'll learn to do the whole going sideways up the driveway. I've never gotten stuck or broken anything yet. This car goes up the canyons every now and then and has even been through snowy roads a few times. One time it was even chains required for all cars, didn't get stuck, didn't have any problems. View attachment 25828
Try to tell me that's not sick as fuck though.
Besides the coilovers what else did you have to buy to make sure your alignment was still good? Control arms etc…

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I want the ride stiffer I just turn up the damper settings. They get very stiff once you go above 13 clicks. It goes all the way to 30 if you really need it.
How easy/difficult is it to adjust the damper settings and ride height after it is installed on the car?
I don't plan on doing it often if ever, I'd just like to know before hand.

·
Registered
2018 Base 5 Door
143 Posts
How easy/difficult is it to adjust the damper settings and ride height after it is installed on the car?
I don't plan on doing it often if ever, I'd just like to know before hand.
Changing the dampening is rather easy, you've got two adjustment knobs on the tops of the strut tower under the hood, and two adjustment knobs in the trunk also at the top of the strut tower. I recommend getting the adjustment knob extenders for the rear dampening adjustment. Adjusting the ride height on the other hand requires the car to be lifted and the spring perch (double lower rings) to be adjusted with the supplied tools. Getting the ride height correct the first time is a bit tricky it does take a few adjustments but once it's done you can leave it there.

Engine bay dampening adjustment
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Water Rim

Front coilover height adjustment at the bottom of the spring
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle brake

Rear coilover height adjustment also at the bottom of the spring.
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

I would also recommend the white line rear lower camber arms so your alignment guy doesn't get pissed at you. The stock lower control arm has no camber adjustment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 25805
This is so much help!! Thank you so much! This is great information!! Love the look of them too, your build is sexy for sure. That’s nasty lookin🤤

I also OVERLY appreciate you adding in the info about scraping!! Most of the driveways near me are messed, same with the roads and highways lol

·
Registered
'22 Impreza Sport Sedan w/ CVT
82 Posts
View attachment 25805
How many inches did you go ahead and lower it from the stock 5" (I think its 5)? Also, do speed bumps give you any issues, and if so, how do you mitigate that? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2018 Base 5 Door
143 Posts
How many inches did you go ahead and lower it from the stock 5" (I think its 5)? Also, do speed bumps give you any issues, and if so, how do you mitigate that? Thanks!!!
About 2" lowered. Speed bumps I get light scraping but not on all speed bumps, I always go over then diagonally with no scrapping or problems. Same thing with driveways, I always go as diagonal as possible and get no scrapping. The lowest hanging part is the resonator and it's quite strong in my experience. Also note I'm on 18" wheels, this also has a slight affect on ride height.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts