5th Gen Subaru Impreza Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of people here had good things to say about the beamtech led headlight replacements so I went for it and got the low and high beams. I have a 17 Impreza premium without the led DRL fogs so my high beams double as DRL. I noticed the DRLs have a flicker to them and I was wondering if anyone else encountered this and what they ended up doing.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Impreza Sport 5 Dr. Manual Shift
228 Posts
I'm curious too, I have the Sport so the DRL's are in place of the fog lights and I didn't have to deal with that issue on the high beams. I would like to put the high beams in our Outback and Legacy, those also use the high beams as DRL's. The only thing I can think of is to disable the DRL function. I'd like to know if there is another solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I messaged
I'm curious too, I have the Sport so the DRL's are in place of the fog lights and I didn't have to deal with that issue on the high beams. I would like to put the high beams in our Outback and Legacy, those also use the high beams as DRL's. The only thing I can think of is to disable the DRL function. I'd like to know if there is another solution.
beamtech via amazon and they got back to me recently, I think English is not their first language so their reply was a bit cryptic but they said they are sending me a “decoder” will fix it. After doing some googling it does look like there are kits that correct for the issue, the question is which one as it seems like there are a few.

·
Registered
60 Posts
From my understanding ( same bulbs in my car same effect) the car sends less than 12v to the highbeams to run dimly as drls. The leds don't like that and strobe. If the "Decoder" is a canbus thing I don't think that will fix the issue. Only getting 12v to the bulbs, disabling them or bypassing them will fix it. I personally just run the lights in "on" and leave it there so I don't experience the flicker.

·
Registered
177 Posts
All diodes are voltage-sensitive, and all LED's operate in a cyclical nature. At full voltage, you just can't see the 'flicker' because it's too fast, but it often shows up in videos. Just another reason to avoid those halogen/LED swap kits.

·
Banned
417 Posts
All diodes are voltage-sensitive, and all LED's operate in a cyclical nature. At full voltage, you just can't see the 'flicker' because it's too fast, but it often shows up in videos. Just another reason to avoid those halogen/LED swap kits.
Not sure I agree with that as it's too broad a statement.

LED lighting in homes flicker, but that's because they're operated by AC. LEDs in automobiles run on DC, a constant current source on which LED's output is stable... unless they have PWM drivers, which of course will make them flicker. LEDs in electronics that run on DC, or other similar applications, do not flicker. They're semi-conductors, as as such conduct/light only when current flow is in one direction (DC).

This explains automotive applications better:

I'm sure you know that, and meant the subject LEDs... which (see link) flicker as you say, just "reasons."

·
Registered
434 Posts
You need the pulse width modulator.

Beamtech will send you one for free. But your high beams will be on full bright all the time.

Which is why most who have high beams as their drls, put the halogen bulbs back in.

The leds do not like the unsteady voltage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts